You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

18 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Germany should do well out of the banking sector. The Dutch like to tax bankers. 

I think Frankfurt is full already after the initial rush to establish on the continent, they've stopped trying to persuade people to come. Amsterdam, Paris and Dublin will all benefit though going forward and indeed are. 

I see Jo Swinson has been proving her worth as an indefatigable fighter against a ruinous Brexit.  As tens of thousands of people throughout the country took to the streets in hastily arranged demonstrations in defence of democracy, the leader of the anti-Brexit party, er, tweeted once, at 8:30 at night. 

8 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I see Jo Swinson has been proving her worth as an indefatigable fighter against a ruinous Brexit.  As tens of thousands of people throughout the country took to the streets in hastily arranged demonstrations in defence of democracy, the leader of the anti-Brexit party, er, tweeted once, at 8:30 at night. 

She's gone on holiday, her second since the reccess. Probably thinks it deserved after her Corbyn bashing included a lie about the labour leader er going on holiday.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

I think Frankfurt is full already after the initial rush to establish on the continent, they've stopped trying to persuade people to come. Amsterdam, Paris and Dublin will all benefit though going forward and indeed are. 

Yeah Lloyds Bank have opened up a subsidiary there, for their bonds issuance business mainly. 

One small crumb of comfort from the past few days is watching the blerts from the right of the labour party, the lib dems and so called journalists at the bbc faces as the reality dawns that the fluffy little attack dog and his mates who the've been feeding for years are now about to eat them.

10 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

https://www.thecanary.co/

The telling issue here is the response of bbc 'journalist' lacky. The articles conclusions that the brexit vote was mainly a kick against the establishment for a decade of needless austerity (which the eu condones) is pretty much spot on.

It's worth remembering a few key points from the Ashcroft survey  (which is still the only time that anyone has asked people who voted what and why) Leave voters

-  thought they were "taking back control" of the UK's laws and borders;

-  viewed "political correctness" as a social ill; and

-  thought that Brexit would have little economic impact.

20190901_115857.png

20190901_115950.png

20190901_120022.png

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's worth remembering a few key points from the Ashcroft survey  (which is still the only time that anyone has asked people who voted what and why) Leave voters

-  thought they were "taking back control" of the UK's laws and borders;

-  viewed "political correctness" as a social ill; and

-  thought that Brexit would have little economic impact.

20190901_115857.png

20190901_115950.png

20190901_120022.png

Id take a lord ascroft poll or survey with a very large pinch salt angry however his survey states that only about a third of leave voters mentioned border control as a reason for voting out. Its to simplistic to pin slurs on such a large number of people and paint certain areas (mainly deprived working class areas who have seen little to no investment for decades) as bigoted thick rasicts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Id take a lord ascroft poll or survey with a very large pinch salt angry however his survey states that only about a third of leave voters mentioned border control as a reason for voting out. Its to simplistic to pin slurs on such a large number of people and paint certain areas (mainly deprived working class areas who have seen little to no investment for decades) as bigoted thick rasicts.

All polls are to be taken with a pinch of salt, but the Ashcroft poll is, by far, the closest we've got to any evidence of the demographics of the Referendum voters and the reasons behind the vote.  Any other claims are based on anecdotes, guesswork, wishful thinking or lies. 

I have never generalised Leave voters as all racist and/or thick.  I included the evidence of  "anti-PC" sentiment as an illustration of what was behind this feeling of a Leave vote being a way of hitting back against "the elite": the people who have been branded "the elite" by the tabloids aren't (surprisingly enough) the tax-dodging billionaires who own the newspapers, but pro-immigration, metrosexual, leftie media luvvies.

Still, there is no doubt that the "take back control" narrative was key and that it was so powerful because people had been told for decades (i) that unelected EU bureaucrats were making our laws and tying us up in pointless red tape; and (ii) that immigration is a huge drain on our economy and threat to national security & identity and that the EU was stopping us from managing it.

Your preferred reason for supporting Brexit - the restrictions that the EU places on nationalisation, the EU promotion of neoliberalism, the EU's appalling treatment of Greece, etc. - were hardly mentioned in the campaigns and barely registered as motivating factors when it came to the vote.

The main reason I'm revisiting the Ashcroft poll now is that there are people arguing in support of Johnson's attempts to bypass Parliamentary accountability and hurl us into a ruinous No Deal Brexit who claim "it's what we voted for".  The Ashcroft survey (together with the statements of the leaders of the Leave campaigns in 2016) make it clear that people did not vote for this.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Can you have it both ways, Gnasher? By your standard, this is the right thing. Seems a bit dodgy. 

I abstained however the exit from the EU proposed by Corbyn would imo been both reasonable to the EU and a benefit to the British people. However May was incompetent and Johnson now sees it as vehicle to benefit himself.

Back to my point to Rico,  i didnt vote for a party that promised a referendum on the ey . if I was 'terrified as he put it of the consequences then it would seem foolish to vote for a party that promised a vote which could see us leave the EU.

From The Guardian :

The Home Office is preparing to end the current system of family reunification for asylum-seeking children if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the Guardian has learned.

The government has privately briefed the UN refugee agency UNHCR and other NGOs that open cases may be able to progress, but a no-deal Brexit would mean no new applications after 1 November from asylum-seeking children to be reunited with relatives living in the UK. Even if there is a deal, the future of family reunion is not certain.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/sep/01/home-office-planning-to-end-family-reunion-for-children-after-brexit

Fucking sickening, another situation where lives are at stake but they simply couldn't give a shit.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

If you are now frightened why did you vote for a party that promised a vote on leaving the EU?

Rico voted to hand the people a gun. Not sure it's entirely his fault if the public put it to their temple and pulled the trigger.

Just now, Sixtimes Dog said:

Rico voted to hand the people a gun. Not sure it's entirely his fault if the public put it to their temple and pulled the trigger.

As much as I completely disagree with Rico’s voting choice, I’ve spoken to people who regularly vote for all 3 main political parties and voted leave. 

Never mind give their their heads a wobble, I want their heads to fall off bitters style the mentalists.