You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

8 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, I'm sure you can. But then, you've always cared more about the Lib Dem as a party than the fate of the country or the people in it. Fair enough, but not the choice I'd make. 

That's not true. I think the country is best served by being in the EU. It is therefore encouraging to me that parties arguing most vociferously for that are doing well.

That a full third of the country are a dead loss is not great, but it's not surprising either. 52% of people voted to Leave, if you recall.

26 minutes ago, Mudface said:

So it looks like we're going to be spending several months of the granted extension on a Tory leadership contest. Presumably this wasn't quite what Tusk meant when he warned the UK not to waste time, but still Tory party first, country a distant second as ever 'twas.

Quelle surprise, as they say in Brussels.

23 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

It's pretty standard reading, no?

Everyone that normally votes Labour or Tory but wants to leave will vote for the Brexit Party. 

Labour and Tory were always going to haemorrhage votes.

Half of Labour's votes are going to Remain parties, only 12% are voting for a leave party. But ambiguity is supposed to be a vote winner so what do I know.

49 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

For reasons best known to themselves the majority of people want out, it will happen, when Johnson is PM it will be a no deal exit  enforced by the EU, I can’t see any other outcome

But only 35-40% are intending to vote for leave parties. That's not a majority and is in line with current polling which suggests a 55-60% Remain vote.

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

But only 35-40% are intending to vote for leave parties. That's not a majority and is in line with current polling which suggests a 55-60% Remain vote.

49% are voting for brexit party/tories/ukip according to that poll above 

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Half of Labour's votes are going to Remain parties, only 12% are voting for a leave party. But ambiguity is supposed to be a vote winner so what do I know.

In a European election.

I really don't think that local, european and general elections, and the parties' stances, can all be conflated. Which appears to be the case.

16 minutes ago, moof said:

49% are voting for brexit party/tories/ukip according to that poll above 

A third of Tories voted Remain, they've lost most the leave voters that they hoovered up from UKIP to the Brexit Party. I'd confidently say that those still voting Tory aren't hardcore leavers.

11 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

In a European election.

I really don't think that local, european and general elections, and the parties' stances, can all be conflated. Which appears to be the case.

And what if we are still where we are by the next election? The Brexit Party are already polling within 6 points of the Tories and Labour. 

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

That's not true. I think the country is best served by being in the EU. It is therefore encouraging to me that parties arguing most vociferously for that are doing well.

That a full third of the country are a dead loss is not great, but it's not surprising either. 52% of people voted to Leave, if you recall.

The three remain parties combined are showing as adding up to less than the No-Deal Brexit partyon its own. 

How are you not seeing this?

7 minutes ago, skend04 said:

A third of Tories voted Remain, they've lost most the leave voters that they hoovered up from UKIP to the Brexit Party. I'd confidently say that those still voting Tory aren't hardcore leavers.

And what if we are still where we are by the next election? The Brexit Party are already polling within 6 points of the Tories and Labour. 

Yes, but with a completely different voting system.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Labour should go full out as a remain party. We are fucked either way at this junction. It will be a second referendum without having the referendum. Pick A or B and get this shit fucking done with. 

That's exactly what the Tories and the Brexiteers want. There's a reason for that.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Labour should go full out as a remain party. We are fucked either way at this junction. It will be a second referendum without having the referendum. Pick A or B and get this shit fucking done with. 

Jesus wept. 

17 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I don’t sneer at the working class. I sneer at anybody, many of whom are posh right wing cunts like Farage and Johnson, who holds views that are worthy of contempt. There are plenty of working class people, on here and around the rest of the country, who don’t share these views. 

Is this for real? Are you for real! I suggest you actually read my post back, love. 

Yes i am for real. Love.

Love? Yuppie talk.

21 hours ago, Section_31 said:

They're a component of a larger nation, they live or die with that whether they like it or not. What next? Britain goes to war with Russia but Scotland moans about the fact it shouldn't have to?

Scotland gets its international status from being part of a union that is first in the world for soft power and has one of the biggest militaries.

If they were independent would they want to join NATO? I suspect so, despite probably only being able to muster a couple of regiments trained by the British army. Would NATO have anything to gain by having them without the rest of the UK? Probably not. 

It's really petty, misinformation shit from the SNP as per.

'Scotland's view on staying in Europe is being ignored!!!'.

Well what about Wales view on how much the UK gives in aid to Botswana, or Northern Ireland's view on a trade deal with Saudi Arabia.

Sure. If they want to be a sovereign nation off the back of Brexit and join the EU, they should be able to do it IMO. 

https://newsthump.com/2019/05/17/shock-as-theresa-may-fails-to-negotiate-a-deal-with-someone/?fbclid=IwAR0xmP-88igsXsajzWHvXgO43pee6h7kuzhDgCQ1KYRmZ5Lx2irUhd94-PQ

As cross-party Brexit talks between the Conservatives and Labour close without an agreement, the country is left stunned at how this could happen to a woman with such a gift for negotiation.

Brexit talks between the Tories and Labour are to end in a no-deal scenario and nobody saw this coming.

“I mean, what on Earth went wrong?” muttered visibly shaken political analyst Simon Williams.

“The Prime Minister is almost supernaturally good at negotiation. People probably don’t realise the impact her powers of persuasion have had on British geopolitical history.

“She met Hitler for peace talks in 1939.

“She knew the Falklands war would be a terrible waste of life and went to Downing Street to persuade Thatcher.

“She actually has precedent in cross-party talks – she was instrumental in convincing Blair that Iraq did not have weapons of mass destruction.

“Even at home, she plays her husband like a violin. Just last month she wanted to go on a round-the-world cruise while he wanted to go on a walking holiday to Wales. We all know the result of that one.

“Why has she failed now?”

Mrs May explained herself in a Downing Street press conference.

“Corbyn is a bloody difficult man,” she said.

“He wanted the UK to remain in a customs union with the EU, I offered him a pair of 3D glasses and a pencil sharpener. Nothing.

“He wanted access to the single market, I offered him a pair of those extra grippy socks you use to go trampolining. Nothing.

“There’s just no negotiating with some people.”