You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I didnt mention cure, the boil needs to be lanced before we get to that stage.

Who helped fuel the illness? Our government must take centre stage in the guilt game, but the eu and its 30 year neo con disaster mission  must be allowed to shun its blame.

Im wary of allowing harold shipman back in thw hospice with open arms. Fool me once and all that

Yeah, you’d hire Ebola. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

No its not skidmark, youre full of shit. Its actually the other way round. You have no desire to disucss the issues. Youre just a sheep that follows the mob.

Or for instence you agree with multi millionaire land owners getting massive eu subsidies. 

Ha! 

The issues you talk about are land owners, open your eyes, there are far more important issues than that. Ones the EU have a big influence in stopping the Tories fucking us over, like the workers rights.

It’s not that I didn’t want to discuss the issues. Others are making the points I want to make before I get a chance or they are putting it better than me. Plus I don’t really try and make out I know and understand more than I actually do. 

Like you do. You window licking jamook. 

5 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I've just realised that Twatface got milkshaked two day running: yesterday in Bury, today in Warrington. 

Wherever he is tomorrow, you know what you must do.

I should probably clarify, in case Rico is reading, that chucking a cold drink in someone's face and punching someone in the head are two completely different levels of seriousness.

That's why it's not hypocritical to think it's funny when the former happens to a Fascist prick who fancies himself as being handy with his fists and not funny when the latter happens to an old bloke sitting having a chat in a mosque.

The BBC and the Westminster in-crowd are going hard on the idea that the local elections were all about Brexit.  It all seems a bit anecdotal and they don't appear to have anything to back up that claim (or, worse, they don't appear to think they have to do anything to back up that claim).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48142181

There's no discussion of the effects of local issues or any cyclical factors (for example, if I remember rightly, the Lib Dems took a beasting 4 years ago, from which some "regression to the mean" would be expected).  They're just banging on about fucking Brexit - and saying nothing new, useful or interesting.

33 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The BBC and the Westminster in-crowd are going hard on the idea that the local elections were all about Brexit.  It all seems a bit anecdotal and they don't appear to have anything to back up that claim (or, worse, they don't appear to think they have to do anything to back up that claim).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48142181

There's no discussion of the effects of local issues or any cyclical factors (for example, if I remember rightly, the Lib Dems took a beasting 4 years ago, from which some "regression to the mean" would be expected).  They're just banging on about fucking Brexit - and saying nothing new, useful or interesting.

Sir Ed Davey was on 5Live earlier this morning claiming the gains that the Libs made was a clear example of a sea of change they are bringing in British Politics. Got pulled by the anchor who said “Hang on, the Independents got over 200 and here’s a text from 5 people who say they voted Lib Dem as a protest vote. And there are more”*

And all he could bang on about was about stopping Brexit. 

*I am paraphrasing. 

From The Grauniad....

The Press Association has just filed this useful list of councils that have changed hands.

Conservative councils lost to no overall control

Basildon 
Broxtowe 
Folkestone & Hythe 
Peterborough 
St Albans 
South Oxfordshire 
Southend-on-Sea 
Tandridge 
Tendring 
Welwyn Hatfield 
Worcester 

Labour councils lost to no overall control 

Bolsover 
Hartlepool 
Wirral 

Conservative gains from no overall control

North East Lincolnshire 
Walsall 

Labour gain from no overall control

Trafford 

Lib Dem gains from no overall control

North Devon 
North Norfolk 

Liberal Democrat gains from Conservatives

Bath & North East Somerset 
Chelmsford 
Cotswold 
Hinckley & Bosworth 
Somerset West & Taunton 
Vale of White Horse 
Winchester 

Independent/others gain from no overall control

Ashfield 

Independent/others gain from Conservatives

North Kesteven

Sir John Curtice, the BBC’s lead election analyst, told the Today programme that his analysis suggested the Lib Dem surge was not being driven by support for a second referendum. He explained:

The Liberal Democrats used to be the traditional party of protest. And then they went into coalition with the Conservatives and they rather lost that mantle.

It looks as though they are beginning to recover that mantle, particularly in areas where until recently they had quite a lot of strength.

But when you actually look, is there any evidence that the Liberal Democrats are doing better in remain areas than in leave areas? The truth is that the evidence seems to be lacking.

So it seems easier to interpret this as evidence of Liberal Democrats recovering from the coalition, being the party of protest, and that’s the basis of their success, rather than necessarily a rush of enthusiasm for the idea of a second EU referendum.

Curtice also told the BBC that the Greens were getting 11% of the vote, up five points on last year. He said they were on course for one of their best ever local election results.

I would like to thank Barry Gardiner for writing every Lib Dem leaflet for the next few weeks.

Telling the Tories "We are trying to bail you guys out over Brexit" was a particular gem, although there were others.

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

I would like to thank Barry Gardiner for writing every Lib Dem leaflet for the next few weeks.

Telling the Tories "We are trying to bail you guys out over Brexit" was a particular gem, although there were others.

So, you're saying that one decontextualised line, which does not represent Labour policy, will be used by the Lib Dems to mislead the electorate?

Yeah, why not? All parties do it.  It's fine.

10 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

So, you're saying that one decontextualised line, which does not represent Labour policy, will be used by the Lib Dems to mislead the electorate?

Yeah, why not? All parties do it.  It's fine.

Those were his exact words. And to be fair, they're true.

But I suspect you'd be denying that even after Labour and the Tories have come to a deal.

50 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

But I suspect you'd be denying that even after Labour and the Tories have come to a deal.

I daresay they will come to a deal fairly swiftly in the mistaken belief that it will get Brexit off the agenda. Wrong a) It will unlikely to get a Commons majority and b) If it does the issue will fester for years as May's hard line successor tears it up down the line to try and secure a clean Brexit.  What Labour have done with their equivocation over a second referendum has ensured the party co-own the huge turd laid by the Tories on the doorstep of every person in the country . Polls have shown for some time a majority in favour of a second vote , a majority of Labour voters favour Remain and clear signs the country as a whole would choose to remain . Three years down the line "respecting the outcome of the first vote" is no longer credible.  Labour imo are going to end up as the defacto Remain party and Corbyn's  stubbornness in accepting the inevitable is causing more damage to the party than alienating some Leave voters in the North . Sit on the fence and get splinters is the best summing up I've heard so far.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Hope no-one nicks them.

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

They are not true.

"Bailing out" the Tories would be voting with them to help them implement their policies (if you can imagine such a thing). If Labour do that, of course I'll oppose it. The Tory version of Brexit is divisive and destructive.

Labour are trying to get a Brexit deal (y'know, the way half the population want) which is pretty much "Brexit in name only". If they get May to agree to something like that, it would be a massive defeat for the Tories. 

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

They are not true.

"Bailing out" the Tories would be voting with them to help them implement their policies (if you can imagine such a thing). If Labour do that, of course I'll oppose it. The Tory version of Brexit is divisive and destructive.

Labour are trying to get a Brexit deal (y'know, the way half the population want) which is pretty much "Brexit in name only". If they get May to agree to something like that, it would be a massive defeat for the Tories. 

I agree that it would be a massive defeat for the Tories. I don't agree that it's Brexit in name only, but it certainly is way away from what her hardliners would accept, so on that basis I think there's little chance. Labour would have to compromise a lot too. If they go down that road... 

Very tricky times. Might as well pick a side. 

17 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Someone in Labour needs to brief Barry Gardiner about this.

Here's another reason why it's a mistake to try to interpret the local election results as some sort of proxy referendum: half the electorate don't even know what any of the parties' positions on Brexit are.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/103550/fresh-blow-change-uk-poll-reveals-more-voters-think?fbclid=IwAR0UZpbCDdfegweODPTe0-yOKLoOQnqfNcIS5ut68QSPl1vlZyaQ2IGDSj4

As Bo Diddley said "You can't judge one by looking at the other".

On 02/05/2019 at 20:32, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Ha! 

The issues you talk about are land owners, open your eyes, there are far more important issues than that. Ones the EU have a big influence in stopping the Tories fucking us over, like the workers rights.

It’s not that I didn’t want to discuss the issues. Others are making the points I want to make before I get a chance or they are putting it better than me. Plus I don’t really try and make out I know and understand more than I actually do. 

I dont want to be insulting but you really are naive.  Guving huge sums of money to wealthy landowners is just an example of how europes elite divisie our money. You might be ago with it but to give huge donations to the wealthy whrm people are living on the streets or during food banks is a disgrace.

As for the eu and workers rights, dont make me laugh. We be had 30 years of shit which the eu abides. Zero hour contract, gig economy, increased privatization, mass austerity and mass unemployment have all occoured and continued to happen under the eu gaze.

I you think the eu is on our side take a trip to athens or rome pr grimsby or barcelona or paris and ask how the eu project their rights. There 8s a reason why the eu is despised, its been a wealthy old boys club for to long, its run its course and needs binniing.

On 02/05/2019 at 20:32, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Ha! 

Sorry i didnt comnent on youre other point about you folliwing what other players say and basiclly just agrreing. Youre not alone there. Angry and his mob are very effective at clamping down on dissenting voices,.

Instead of taking the word of a few on herec as gospel, why not listen to europes most  succsessful trade unionists for the past decade or so..

41 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Posting an alternative opinion and correcting misinformation is really not the same as "clamping down on dissenting voices" you massive drama qùim.

And right on que.  Vir been called bigot, racist etc and had memes of sick kids posted at me angry,  is that what you call an alternative opinion? 

Or you could point out what part of the above video featuring bob crow you disagree with angry.