You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Nah, it's because they all want to end up with professional qualifications and earn shit loads after living the student life for years. Low cost of study and subsidised housing helps. 

I have no idea what you mean or what point you are making to my post about thatcher but im going to bet on a long shot when i say i agree with every word.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

One way of wipping them of the register. Thatcher just threw everyone on the stick to massage the figures.

It suited her but fucked up the country, but thats another matter.

I've never heard the expression "threw everyone on the stick" so I don't know what you're on about. If it's a typo for "on the sick" I thought that was more of a New Labour trick. If you were sticking to the subject of university education, that was a post-Thatcher phenomenon: student numbers have doubled since 1992.

19 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I've never heard the expression "threw everyone on the stick" so I don't know what you're on about. If it's a typo for "on the sick" I thought that was more of a New Labour trick. If you were sticking to the subject of university education, that was a post-Thatcher phenomenon: student numbers have doubled since 1992.

Yes a typo sorry. You are once again wrong regarding thatcher as you seem to be wrong about recent history when it suits your arguement, for example i remember you trying to re write history  by denying a previous labour manifesto (83 i believe) did not want to leave the eu. Your claim was false, labour did indeed pledge to leave the eu in their first term, thatcher and the tories rmeanwhile made no such pledge. How times change.

As for thatcher throwing a generation on to the sick, i think you may find you are once again wrong

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/apr/02/osborne-thatcher-legacy-disability-benefits

Dont worry angry a few of your mob will pile in with the negs.

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Yes a typo sorry. You are once again wrong regarding thatcher as you seem to be wrong about recent history when it suits your arguement, for example i remember you trying to re write history  by denying a previous labour manifesto (83 i believe) did not want to leave the eu. Your claim was false, labour did indeed pledge to leave the eu in their first term, thatcher and the tories rmeanwhile made no such pledge. How times change.

As for thatcher throwing a generation on to the sick, i think you may find you are once again wrong

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/apr/02/osborne-thatcher-legacy-disability-benefits

Dont worry angry a few of your mob will pile in with the negs.

Right. So you’d lost the argument about student places and changed the subject entirely. As you do.

So, I'd misremembered the bit about who started putting people on the sick. Big whoop. It was a policy enthusiastically promoted by the Government that Thatcher considered her greatest achievement: a cunt's policy, whoever did it.

On the subject of misremembering who did what, you need to check who was making claims about the 1983 manifesto.  I don't think I got involved in that particular barney.

23 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I know you're failing to understand it. Firstly, I've not even mentioned it, so it'd be hard to understand solely on the basis that it is entirely fabricated. Secondly, I have spoken out on here for the better part of a decade against austerity driven politics. I don't want more of it. I don't want more cuts, more economic damage, etc., that will come from leaving the EU.

The problem I have is you're suggesting I support that. I don't. The ignorance it takes to suggest such a thing is what's flumoxing, not whatever you're talking about, which is barely coherent.

It really is quite simple. The eu has supported the politics and policy of austerity. You i believe support the eu.  So make of that what you will. 

49 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It really is quite simple. The eu has supported the politics and policy of austerity. You i believe support the eu.  So make of that what you will. 

Yes, this is the crux of our disagreement. I, as somebody who has been vocally against austerity on here and elsewhere, do think the EU nations mostly reacted with both austerity and some other measures. You, for some reason, think that because I don't want to cost the country billions and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions of pounds over the next 10 years, meaning that we will have even less to spend on services that are needed by the poor, that I actually support those things. That doesn't make sense and is, I'm telling you, completely wrong.