You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

It's going to be a horrible, scaremongering campaign full of half truths, little englander xenophobia, and people with a tiny bit of knowledge acting like they know it all. Should be funny.

And then the general public will take to social media to air their own ill-considered opinions.

• Upvote 2

Can't believe the brass balls on Nicola Sturgeon complaining how a Brexit would damage Scotland. When Scottish Independence would have seen Scotland dumped out of Europe.

Can't quite believe we're having this vote. There's some divisive little shits pushing for it I guess.

• Downvote 1

It's going to be a horrible, scaremongering campaign full of half truths, little englander xenophobia, and people with a tiny bit of knowledge acting like they know it all. Should be funny.

Nah, the Tory power brokers want us in because business wants us in, so it'll be on their terms. No fines for city bankers etc.

• Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

I just about remember all those years ago a vote about what was then called the 'common market' quite what the fuck it's transformed in to now I have no idea. 

I think it's a good idea to review it all and see the pros and cons of this bastardised common market. I just hope the debate leading up to the vote actually does that and allows people to make an informed opinion instead of listening to the pricks on both sides that currently spout bullshit. Some of the worst comes from the 'pro' brigade that label anyone that wants out as a xenophobe or a little englander. 

I'll admit I need to see a lot more information on the pros and cons before I'll cast a vote either way. 

I think we should remain though I'm totally against TTIP. Also part of me wants to pull out just to give the little englanders a wake up call, they can see how insignificant england isolated on its own will suffer. But that bitterness in me aside I dont think it's worth the consequences . I do think the EU needs major reforms alongside most politcal structures these days, Globalisation shouldn't mean ever degrading quality of life and freedoms for the masses the last few years seems to be about enriching and consolidating wealth and power for that small group who currently hold it, whilst we all stand back and take it up the arse.

The more I think about it the more I feel contradictions in my opinions. Leaving we will suffer because of big business but I'm sick of big business dictating to democracy especially using threats. I think more power should be held locally but I'd be scared to leave the eu because our ruling class are sick degenerate bastards. The whole lot from Westminister to the EU is just a fake dodgy cartel that exists to fuck us over, to hell with it lets nuke it all from space.

We need peaceful politcial Revolution because constant growth isn't realistic and those with wealth will continue to cause damage chasing profit with zero thought to the consequences, they would impoverish people and destroy the environment chasing short term profit. Our government would tell starving people they have never had it so good because GDP is up one percent even if GDP was distributed in a way that 90 percent of it was in one mans pocket, it wouldn't matter, you don't need context just figures. It works both ways too stats aren't solely misused or not explained honestly by politicians. Short termism from politcians and big business, also unions constantly fucks us up. They need to think about a much bigger picture and the long term consequences of their actions, the hunger for power, electioneering and political policies designed as propaganda rather than actually making sense damages society.

What's this thread about again. Gemma chan from that humans programme looks fit as fuck.

There's a big wide world outside of the EU where lots of countries do very nicely indeed. 

Anyone who says we NEED to be a member of the EU is lying.

Anyone who says millions of jobs DEPEND on EU membership is lying.  Jobs depend on trade and there is not a single trading partner in the EU who will trade any less with us if we leave.

For me it is simple: Do I want to remain in this political union or not? The answer is 'No'.

Footnote for the fucking idiots - this does not make me racist, xenophobic or a 'little Englander', whatever the fuck that is anyway.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'll vote for us to remain, even though I have concerns about the EU, especially its expansionist policies. And I don't believe the bollocks about how we're doomed as a country if we decide to leave the madhouse that is the EU. We'll do okay but economically there'll be a few years of hurt and would give way too much power to the xenophobes/Tories so we're better off staying in and trying to bring about changes that are needed. The EU needs to wake up and stop the bullshit "fundamental values cannot change" line they're always trotting out. Such a rigid attitude is causing more grief than is needed.

TTIP is a major concern. We're sleepwalking into a fucking disaster (see NAFTA). I'm hoping more EU citizens wake up to it and protest, because right now I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. Vote yes and get TTIP, or vote no and get something equally bad voted through by the Conservatives.

• Upvote 1

There is one simple reason we need to be in it and its because the EU(whether purposely or by a lucky coincidence) provides more basic rights,in the workplace and out,than our own government does or ever wants to.

This alone is worth staying in it for.

If we think we have it bad now wait until those cunts in Parliament can strip away every last bit of protection they can.

There are plenty of twats in the EU but they cannot watch the huge twats we have in power over here.

• Upvote 1

For me there is an innate, automatic tendency to think the complete opposite to anything the swivel eyed loons in the Tory Party and, the disgusting right wing press in this country try to tell me.

EU membership has also been good for Liverpool/Merseyside with the regeneration funding they've provided. I know you've got to put money in before getting it back but, as if the Tories would distribute it as fairly as the EU, in fact I'm far from convinced that even a Labour govt would.

So I should be firmly in favour of staying in.

But then I remember that the likes of Tony Benn, Dennis Skinner and other senior members of the Left are (or were in Benn's case obviously) also anti EU, mostly on the grounds of it's institutions being undemocratic and unaccountable I think. Plus, as far as I know, on a Euro wide basis, most of the opposition to it comes from the left rather than the right. As has been said, the main reason right wing Tories are anti EU is because they want to strip away those rights our people have which are enshrined in the European Constitution or whatever it calls itself.

So basically I'm going to have to go to the trouble of researching the pros and cons before casting my vote, though at the moment I'm edging towards staying in.

• Upvote 1

For me there is an innate, automatic tendency to think the complete opposite to anything the swivel eyed loons in the Tory Party and, the disgusting right wing press in this country try to tell me.

EU membership has also been good for Liverpool/Merseyside with the regeneration funding they've provided. I know you've got to put money in before getting it back but, as if the Tories would distribute it as fairly as the EU, in fact I'm far from convinced that even a Labour govt would.

So I should be firmly in favour of staying in.

But then I remember that the likes of Tony Benn, Dennis Skinner and other senior members of the Left are (or were in Benn's case obviously) also anti EU, mostly on the grounds of it's institutions being undemocratic and unaccountable I think. Plus, as far as I know, on a Euro wide basis, most of the opposition to it comes from the left rather than the right. As has been said, the main reason right wing Tories are anti EU is because they want to strip away those rights our people have which are enshrined in the European Constitution or whatever it calls itself.

So basically I'm going to have to go to the trouble of researching the pros and cons before casting my vote, though at the moment I'm edging towards staying in.

Aye, this is pretty much my view. I'd want out if I had any believe that we'd have a government here that wasn't fucking awful any time soon. The financial gangsters controlling the EU need putting down, but sadly our government's objection to the EU are for quite the opposite reason.

• 7 months later...

There is one simple reason we need to be in it and its because the EU(whether purposely or by a lucky coincidence) provides more basic rights,in the workplace and out,than our own government does or ever wants to.This alone is worth staying in it for.If we think we have it bad now wait until those cunts in Parliament can strip away every last bit of protection they can.There are plenty of twats in the EU but they cannot watch the huge twats we have in power over here.

100% mate. I remember the tories arguing about the maximum working week them counts would have everyone doing 70 hours a week to make us "competitive"

• Upvote 1

100% mate. I remember the tories arguing about the maximum working week them counts would have everyone doing 70 hours a week to make us "competitive"

That would be UK v Council (I have an EU Law exam tomorrow so this shit is stuck in my brain).

I have huge doubts about the EU insofar as there's a big democratic deficit with the Commission, which are legally obligated to represent Union interests only, having total monopoly over legislative initiative and thus being in total control over the legislative framework.

There's also the issue of EU Law being superior to national law, including constitutions. Plus, there's the threat of the EU being a Trojan horse for TTIP, recently there was a European Citizens Initiative with over a million signatures only for the EU to say it was outside their remit whereas everything else is within their remit where they want to exercise control.

Finally, there's the very shady nature of the "bailouts" where control over economic and budgetary policies were completely taken away from sovereign nations and the normal average citizen who had no input into the system or played any part in the crash had to "get a haircut" and "take their medicine".

In essence, my natural inclination is to stay but the development of the EU into a political, legal and monetary straight-jacket controlled by an un-elected Commission with no regard for Member States has made me very sceptical about the whole experiment.

• Upvote 4

That would be UK v Council (I have an EU Law exam tomorrow so this shit is stuck in my brain).

I have huge doubts about the EU insofar as there's a big democratic deficit with the Commission, which are legally obligated to represent Union interests only, having total monopoly over legislative initiative and thus being in total control over the legislative framework.

There's also the issue of EU Law being superior to national law, including constitutions. Plus, there's the threat of the EU being a Trojan horse for TTIP, recently there was a European Citizens Initiative with over a million signatures only for the EU to say it was outside their remit whereas everything else is within their remit where they want to exercise control.

Finally, there's the very shady nature of the "bailouts" where control over economic and budgetary policies were completely taken away from sovereign nations and the normal average citizen who had no input into the system or played any part in the crash had to "get a haircut" and "take their medicine".

In essence, my natural inclination is to stay but the development of the EU into a political, legal and monetary straight-jacket controlled by an un-elected Commission with no regard for Member States has made me very sceptical about the whole experiment.

This is pretty much my view. There is very little to like about the EU and it's various mafia tribes. The main argument for British people to stay seems to be "The Tories would be even worse out of the EU".

I'd love to think it was reformable, but I've got about as much faith in it as I do the BBC.

• Upvote 1

This is pretty much my view. There is very little to like about the EU and it's various mafia tribes. The main argument for British people to stay seems to be "The Tories would be even worse out of the EU".

I'd love to think it was reformable, but I've got about as much faith in it as I do the BBC.

Indeed. Being Irish, the relationship with the EU is very strange. We have rejected a few of their treaties, including that shitty Lisbon one. When we exercised our democratic right in rejecting it through a referendum, the media machine and mainstream political establishment went into overdrive and we were made to vote again and that time, they got what they wanted.

Much of the austerity being imposed upon us has been by the Troika as well and thus external in nature because our government will bend over and take whatever Merkel has to give them. Fortunately,we don't have the Tories here, in fact we don't have any political divides here really, just various political factions with very notional differences most of which are derived from the Civil War that happened after independence scrambling over each other to climb aboard the gravy train.

However, with all the problems and concerns I have mentioned, go to any public work in the country and there's a sign saying it was a result of at least some EU investment. Still, Iceland seem to be doing just fine without their "haircuts" and their "medicine" so there may be hope yet. 

Here's a case summary of that case littletedwest mentioned: http://www.cjel.net/print/3_2-vannuffel/

• Upvote 1