You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

12 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Tell you what though, do your Christmas shopping today. 

Was listening to a phone in on LBC yesterday and Xmas stock for electricals and anything else shipped from China is here already, there will be no more deliveries before Xmas.  Once something goes out of stock then you're waiting 12+ weeks. 

I posted the link below a little further up the thread.

Sorry to disappoint you but all our ills are not happening just because we left the EU, a lot of these issues are pretty much world wide, lol,

There's a Guardian writer here freaking out that a "new world order" is arising because nations are trying to be more self reliant. It starts with being sad about China's leader not doing what he said he would at Davos several years ago and includes other stuff like Brexit, Trump, etc.

Self reliance is compared to Nazi Germany and North Korea. A globalised world is king, being self reliant too much is evil.

Don't upset Davos toffs.

Clown world.

How Covid spread fear of globalisation and threatens a new world order

15 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

There's a Guardian writer here freaking out that a "new world order" is arising because nations are trying to be more self reliant. It starts with being sad about China's leader not doing what he said he would at Davos several years ago and includes other stuff like Brexit, Trump, etc.

Self reliance is compared to Nazi Germany and North Korea. A globalised world is king, being self reliant too much is evil.

Don't upset Davos toffs.

Clown world.

How Covid spread fear of globalisation and threatens a new world order

Just found this to add :

PtzeFgz.png

Left image : what most of us want.

Right image : what The Guardian wants.

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I posted the link below a little further up the thread.

Sorry to disappoint you but all our ills are not happening just because we left the EU, a lot of these issues are pretty much world wide, lol,

Are they referring to iPhones or food?

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

John Cleese simply saying out loud the general opinion of what half the country secretly think about these shortages. 

Ah the great British tax avoider missing the part where the US closed borders for Covid. And where we closed borders to the EU adding to the issues created by the global supply problems.

3 hours ago, No2 said:

Are they referring to iPhones or food?

Why? You really think people in Britain are going to go hungry in Britain this Christmas? Is that what concerns you? The whole world is suffering some sort of backlog after Covid, yet in Britain we've witnessed people losing their mind because they had a weekend queueing for petrol.

To be honest with clowns like you about I can fully understand why the tories are 10 points up in the polls. 

44 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Why? You really think people in Britain are going to go hungry in Britain this Christmas? Is that what concerns you? The whole world is suffering some sort of backlog after Covid, yet in Britain we've witnessed people losing their mind because they had a weekend queueing for petrol.

To be honest with clowns like you about I can fully understand why the tories are 10 points up in the polls. 

Gnasher it was a genuine question and you have resorted to insults. Disappointed in you, enjoy your fish fingers for Christmas.

12 hours ago, No2 said:

Gnasher it was a genuine question and you have resorted to insults. Disappointed in you, enjoy your fish fingers for Christmas.

Sorry but the shortages are global, I agree we're experiencing the worst but that's because our stupid government failed to plan ahead a few years ago, you and others may blame Brexit, I blame our government.

21 hours ago, Gnasher said:

What is it about another Tory majority you find funny? If that's what your little silly "Lol" means.

I’m a bit confused. You assured everyone that after Brexit the Tory government would fall and everything would be fine. That doesn’t seem to be happening. It’s almost like you ignored the warnings.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Gnasher said:

What is it about another Tory majority you find funny? If that's what your little silly "Lol" means.

I’m a bit confused. You assured everyone that after Brexit the Tory government would fall and everything would be fine. That doesn’t seem to be happening. It’s almost like you ignored the warnings.

41 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I didn't assure everyone everything would be fine, it's obvious with something as momentous as Brexit a lot of earth is going to be kicked, I think the spotlight on workers wages and the value low paid workers provide to the country is a good thing. Let's be honest here; we've seen stagnation on wages for one reason or another for over a decade, workers in agriculture/haulage/hospitality/construction have been ignored and taken for granted. I'm glad the balls have been thrown up in the air, just seeing the country debate the ins and outs of low paid wage rises is a massive plus and long overdue. 

As for (yawns) my prediction about the Tory party splitting it isn't really the 'gotcha' some posters persist in throwing. A, it was a prediction, I also predicted we'd vote out, Cameron would have to resign  and later Thersa May wouldn't get a majority, all were odds against but can't win um all, and yes the tories are unfortunately still here, given oxygen on their death bed by the Libs and the tight wing Labour mps who went on to form Change Uk. Brexit did however force the resignation of two tory prime ministers though, and that cunt George Osborne so there you go, close but no cigar.

Edit; as an aside, I often agreed it would their would be turmoil for at least a few years after we leave which was the reason I abstained. I actually don't think it's been as bad as I thought (leaving the eu) I think most of the problems are down to government incompetence.

I suppose some on twitter would veiw the below as evidence Brexit isn't working, I'd suggest the people on the street veiw the situation differently,

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/12/uk-job-vacancies-record-12m-brexit-covid-staff-shortages-unemployment

Or don't the people below count?

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-set-most-widespread-pay-rises-over-decade-cbi-2021-09-19/

Yet more Brexit isn't working data, unless of course you're the poor fuvcker who actually does the work, 

https://www.countryliving.com/uk/wildlife/farming/a36724667/british-farmers-help-fruit-picking-pay-more/

The downside is, and their's always a downside when poor people receive more pay, is Francess Barber has been moaning about the increasing price of asparagus in Waitroes.

35 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

But you realise this is short (maybe to mid) term crisis management and not the way of travel going forward?

It's cheaper to 'over pay' a smaller work force short term than it is to cut your losses entirely.

Possibly, possibly not, but even getting the subject of low paid essential workers wage rates into the national debate is massive step up on what we've seen over the past decade or so.

I don't really subscribe to the 'ahh let's not bother with wage rises as they'll only be temporary" brigade, it's a right wing argument to fudge the issue. Haulage/agricultural etc workers have been underpaid for yonks.

Another positive regarding Brexit is its flushed out the right wingers parading as Labour Party members whom for years pretended they had low paid workers interests at heart, yet as soon as the low paid received rises they took the side of the billionaire employers and jumped ship.

On 16/10/2021 at 11:51, Gnasher said:

John Cleese simply saying out loud the general opinion of what half the country secretly think about these shortages. 

That's the trouble with the binary, black or white nature of discourse in this country (and others) over the last few years. Truth is always far more nuanced than shouty rhetoric.

Obviously, anyone who says this is entirely about Brexit is wrong.

Obviously, anyone who says this is nothing to do with Brexit is wrong.

So John Cleese's tweet proves the square root of fuck all. Of course problems (mostly attributable to Covid) are internationally widespread, but Brexit harms the UK's ability to cope with them.

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Sorry but the shortages are global, I agree we're experiencing the worst but that's because our stupid government failed to plan ahead a few years ago, you and others may blame Brexit, I blame our government.

There are some shortages of computer chips and construction materials over here but we are managing to fill the all the supermarket shelves with food, petrol stations with fuel and we have enough gas stored to see us through the winter

So if you’re not building something or need to buy a car or something similar then there are zero effects to these shortages - which appears to be significantly different to the UK’s situation