You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

11 minutes ago, Moo said:

Publically anyway.  But privately in the voting booth they might admit the error of their ways, but only with a genuine alternative to vote for.  That's why Labour need to get their shit together before the next GE. 

This argument boggles me, Im not being funny or in any way condescending but why the fuck would traditional Labour voters like lorry driver, builders, cafe shop workers, veg pickers etc who have recently received a pay rise because of a labour shortage privately think they've made an error in their ways and vote for something different privately? 

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-set-most-widespread-pay-rises-over-decade-cbi-2021-09-19/

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

This argument boggles me, Im not being funny or in any way condescending but why the fuck would traditional Labour voters like lorry driver, builders, cafe shop workers, veg pickers etc who have recently received a pay rise because of a labour shortage privately think they've made an error in their ways and vote for something different privately? 

No you're just being really narrow minded, myopic, and as usual failing to see the bigger picture. 

So why might some people have realised they were wrong? Because those who've had a wage increase will find it doesn't go very far with spiralling costs and potential interest rate rises threatening their homes.  And that their local NHS services will be run even further into the ground. And that they may have lost loved ones because of the criminal mishandling of Covid.  And that they care about more than three word slogans.

Loads of fucking reasons.

44 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yet another Eu cunt on the take. These are not insignificant middle managers who've slipped through the net, they are thundercunts in control of our lives. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2021/10/13/ecb-banker-kazimir-accused-of-bribery

It's like the expose of our favourite 1970s game show hosts, when we realise the party hats and over exaggerated mannerisms were just a front to mask their own failings.

Innocent until proven guilty of course: utter bunch of no good cunts.

Yep..thank god there are no politicians lining their pockets in this country.

17 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Two wrongs do not make a ..never mind

So why are you always posting about whoever is in charge of stuff in the EU, which we are no longer a part of?

You're indulging in nothing but whataboutery as you disguise the fact that there's barely a cigarette paper between you and a Torykipper 

34 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Two wrongs do not make a ..never mind

Yet you are posting about eu politicians on the take as justification for us getting out?

If we left the eu because it was mired in corruption and our politicians were squeaky clean,you may have a point.

46 minutes ago, Moo said:

No you're just being really narrow minded, myopic, and as usual failing to see the bigger picture. 

So why might some people have realised they were wrong? Because those who've had a wage increase will find it doesn't go very far with spiralling costs and potential interest rate rises threatening their homes.  And that their local NHS services will be run even further into the ground. And that they may have lost loved ones because of the criminal mishandling of Covid.  And that they care about more than three word slogans.

I understand the points you are making but services were fucked before Brexit, our NHS was fucked before Brexit, food Bank use in this country went through the roof before Brexit. 

I agree with you on how shit our government have been on handling everything, especially Covid, but to simply blame Brexit for everything and go into a mindset that if we simply rejoin the EU most of our major troubles will go away is dangerous because it gives the government a free run.

5 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Yet you are posting about eu politicians on the take as justification for us getting out?

If we left the eu because it was mired in corruption and our politicians were squeaky clean,you may have a point.

You don't cure capitalist corruption by going to a polling booth and voting for capitalist corruption. 

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I understand the points you are making but services were fucked before Brexit, our NHS was fucked before Brexit, food Bank use in this country went through the roof before Brexit. 

I agree with you on how shit our government have been on handling everything, especially Covid, but to simply blame Brexit for everything and go into a mindset that if we simply rejoin the EU most of our major troubles will go away is dangerous because it gives the government a free run.

I never mentioned Brexit.

56 minutes ago, skend04 said:

So why are you always posting about whoever is in charge of stuff in the EU, which we are no longer a part of?

You're indulging in nothing but whataboutery as you disguise the fact that there's barely a cigarette paper between you and a Torykipper 

I'm a million miles away from a kipper, you meanwhile were the poster defending billionaire chicken factory owners paying its staff pitence and treating them like shit because the factory may be in a poor area, like that's an excuse, should be grateful what they have a job an all that huh?

1 hour ago, Moo said:

We are sleepwalking to another tory landslide election victory, 

On 14/10/2021 at 20:42, Moo said:

There's also the likelihood that the next election won't be until 2024. By that time, the Tories will have come up with some wheeze - on top of increasing working hours and reducing the standards of the tests - to increase the HGV workforce and make sure that their chums who run haulage companies won't have to maintain decent pay rates.

On 14/10/2021 at 23:30, Gnasher said:

That DVLA story has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. It's about dealing with the post-Covid backlog.

The other one is behind a paywall. Here's the Metro take on it.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/15/christmas-2021-unite-union-threatens-lorry-driver-strikes-15425589/

It's only "Brexit worker power" if you believe

1.  that the whole of the driver shortage is caused by Brexit (and nothing to do with Covid) and 

2.   that they will actually take strike action that contravenes union laws put in place by the Tories - and that they will win  (I'd love to see it, but I won't start celebrating it until it actually does happen).

On 14/10/2021 at 22:30, Gnasher said:

We are sleepwalking to another tory landslide election victory, 

My memory might be playing tricks with me here mate but weren't you saying a few years ago that Brexit would bring down the Tories? 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

My memory might be playing tricks with me here mate but weren't you saying a few years ago that Brexit would bring down the Tories? 

Your point being? I certainly did and Brexit brought down two tory prime ministers and numerous tory ministers and junior ministers. Unfortunately the Lib Dems and right wing EU loving Labour mps rode to the Conservative party's rescue, aided by the majority of the British media, so unfortunately my prediction turned out to be wrong.

Incidentally a lot of the EU loving right wing Labour traitors then went on to form Change UK, which was immediately rejected by the British public and sank like a stone, so Brexit did destroy one party full of tories, the one masquerading as non tories, who were yet another bunch of blaggards and charlatans.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Your point being? I certainly did and Brexit brought down two tory prime ministers and numerous tory ministers and junior ministers. Unfortunately the Lib Dems and right wing EU loving Labour mps rode to the Conservative party's rescue, aided by the majority of the British media, so unfortunately my prediction turned out to be wrong.

Incidentally a lot of the EU loving right wing Labour traitors then went on to form Change UK, which was immediately rejected by the British public and sank like a stone, so Brexit did destroy one party full of tories, the one masquerading as non tories, who were yet another bunch of blaggards and charlatans.

With respect, Gnash, a lot of us were saying at the time that that prediction was about as likely as Northwich Victoria winning the Champions League. The fact that Cameron strolled away, humming a happy little tune, from one highly paid job into another, is neither here nor there. Brexit's impact on the Tories was to change the flies, but the shit remains the same.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

The point is you were/are wrong.