You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

30 minutes ago, torahboy said:

There does seem to be something stirring within the ranks of the old 'one nation' Tories but the 'Red Wall' new blues are pig headedly refusing to accept that they've fucked up, or are too stupidly proud to admit they've been conned. The sad fact is that it will be the establishment that kills off Johnson  - not the electorate.

Yep

Like angry says it would mean a chunk of the electorate admitting they were wrong about Brexit and johnson.

Isnt going to happen

38 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Yep

Like angry says it would mean a chunk of the electorate admitting they were wrong about Brexit and johnson.

Isnt going to happen

Yeah I can't see the millions of haulage/construction/hospitality/agricultural workers who voted remain admitting they got it wrong.

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

On the broader point.Most of Europe are witnessing a shortage of drivers, Spain has recently taken steps to address the problems by lowering their driving age, our government has sat on its hands.The petrol crises was short lived and their was always going to be shit in certain sectors after pulling out of the EU, especially with a government that refuses to be forward thinking. 

https://www.iru.org/resources/newsroom/spain-lowers-minimum-driver-age-18-attract-next-generation-drivers

As an aside; youth unemployment in Spain is hitting an astonishing 40% and I'm not sure Spains Hgv drivers have seen the wage rises our drivers have. 

Spain is taking action (removing an age restriction that doesn't exist in the UK) when it's got a shortfall of 15,000 drivers. The UK has a shortfall of 100,000 and the Tories' response is to cut safety standards.

8 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Spain is taking action (removing an age restriction that doesn't exist in the UK) when it's got a shortfall of 15,000 drivers. The UK has a shortfall of 100,000 and the Tories' response is to cut safety standards.

I agree, the government should have seen this coming and acted straight after the vote was to leave, they had more than enough time, it's not the fault of Brexit, its the fault of our own governments incompetence. In my opinion Labour supporters are falling into the trap of lazily blaming everything at the door Brexit instead of the door of number ten, its going to cost Labour another election.

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Dont know about the conned bit I've just looked up the EU vice president Maros Sefcovic,  (the fella negotiating Nth Ireland with that pompous cunt Frost) and fuck me he didn't disappoint, where the fuck do they find these people? He's yet another EU far right nut job. He makes Frost look like Dennis Skinner. He hates immigrants, hates gays, fully fledged Christian and only managed 18% of the vote when he tried to be Slovakias prime minister, his own people basically told him to fuck off back to Brussels.

Its the people who blindly follow these charlatans that are being conned, how the fuck do these people make it to the top of the EU tree after being discarded in their own country? Boggling.

Really? You don't think that the 51.9% of the electorate who were promised billions extra available for the NHS, loads of wealth-creating new trade deals, the easiest deal in history with the EU, absolutely no change on the Irish border, greater democracy and taking back control, etc... you don't think that those people were conned? Or do you think they saw through all those lies and false promises, correctly foresaw the current shitshow and decided that that's what they wanted?

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Dont know about the conned bit I've just looked up the EU vice president Maros Sefcovic,  (the fella negotiating Nth Ireland with that pompous cunt Frost) and fuck me he didn't disappoint, where the fuck do they find these people? He's yet another EU far right nut job. He makes Frost look like Dennis Skinner. He hates immigrants, hates gays, fully fledged Christian and only managed 18% of the vote when he tried to be Slovakias prime minister, his own people basically told him to fuck off back to Brussels.

Its the people who blindly follow these charlatans that are being conned, how the fuck do these people make it to the top of the EU tree after being discarded in their own country? Boggling.

I've never heard of Sefcovic and I don't know anyone who follows him, blindly or otherwise.

Anyway, I'm disinclined to wag the finger at someone xenophobic in a bloc that I'm no longer a citizen of, when our Government is trying to decriminalise the killing of asylum seekers.

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Really? You don't think that the 51.9% of the electorate who were promised billions extra available for the NHS, loads of wealth-creating new trade deals, the easiest deal in history with the EU, absolutely no change on the Irish border, greater democracy and taking back control, etc... you don't think that those people were conned? Or do you think they saw through all those lies and false promises, correctly foresaw the current shitshow and decided that that's what they wanted?

The only issue that resonates with the voters out of your little list is the NHS. Why do you think both main party's have done an about turn and now generally support Brexit? why are the Libs so quiet on the issue? Brexit may be still a big deal on social media sites but most of the public have shrugged shoulders and moved on. If Ursula and her close band of extreme right wing nut jobs (because that's what a lot of them are) is the hill you chose to die on well good luck but these people are nothing more than right wing capitalists who offer very little to the poorest people in Europe.

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I've never heard of Sefcovic and I don't know anyone who follows him, blindly or otherwise.

Anyway, I'm disinclined to wag the finger at someone xenophobic in a bloc that I'm no longer a citizen of, when our Government is trying to decriminalise the killing of asylum seekers.

He's very high up in the EU, as is the former extremely right wing president of Latvia, throw in Barnier and Ursula and the EU had a Nazi looking tribute act at the top of their tree.

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I agree, the government should have seen this coming and acted straight after the vote was to leave, they had more than enough time, it's not the fault of Brexit, its the fault of our own governments incompetence. In my opinion Labour supporters are falling into the trap of lazily blaming everything at the door Brexit instead of the door of number ten, its going to cost Labour another election.

Agree there.

The current shortages are mainly related to Covid. Any form of Brexit would have aggravated that, but the version of Brexit implemented by the Tories (who, it was clear in 2016, were always going to be the people in charge of implementing Brexit) is far more destructive than necessary.

The threats to peace in Ireland, of course, are 100% caused by Brexit.

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The only issue that resonates with the voters out of your little list is the NHS. Why do you think both main party's have done an about turn and now generally support Brexit? why are the Libs so quiet on the issue? Brexit may be still a big deal on social media sites but most of the public have shrugged shoulders and moved on. If Ursula and her close band of extreme right wing nut jobs (because that's what a lot of them are) is the hill you chose to die on well good luck but these people are nothing more than right wing capitalists who offer very little to the poorest people in Europe.

Saying that the electorate have shrugged and moved on may be true, but it really doesn't deny the fact that they were conned.

The big vote-winners in 2016 were 

- more money for the NHS

- "take back control"

- an economic boom, because we'd be free to trade with the world (who would beat a path to our door)

None of that has happened, because the people who said it would happen lied - and the people who voted for it were conned.

10 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

He's very high up in the EU, as is the former extremely right wing president of Latvia, throw in Barnier and Ursula and the EU had a Nazi looking tribute act at the top of their tree.

Glad we voted to consolidate power in the right wing of the Tory Party, then!

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Glad we voted to consolidate power in the right wing of the Tory Party, then!

All of the four I mentioned would fit nicely into the Tory party and all four carry an air of disregard for immigrants, I think they veiw poor people as a commodity to be abused. I genuinely think they're a bunch of cunts; Barnier, Vonn der Leyen and the two East European right wingers, as bad as the tories, I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire never mind vote for them. 

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

All of the four I mentioned would fit nicely into the Tory party and all four carry an air of disregard for immigrants, I think they veiw poor people as a commodity to be abused. I genuinely think they're a bunch of cunts; Barnier, Vonn der Leyen and the two East European right wingers, as bad as the tories, I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire never mind vote for them. 

The huge difference is that under our electoral & Parliamentary system the Johnson gang have far more power, with far fewer constraints, than any EU bods could dream of.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

"democratic vote"

So Paisley Jnr knowingly signed up to a shit agreement he knew wasn't negotiated in good faith? All part of selling his people down the river for £1bn and a holiday to the Maldives.

18 hours ago, Gnasher said:

The lack of any criticism of the government is the main worry for me, in certain parts of the country Johnsons pretty much untouchable.

It's not the lack of criticism that's worrying, it's the same stock responses they all give. They have been told what to think by multiple sources and just tow the line like a group for stupid sheep. You mentioned the location being a factor, I'd disagree there and say they could have picked 1000 forecourts and got the same answers in 900 of them.

6 hours ago, No2 said:

It's not the lack of criticism that's worrying, it's the same stock responses they all give. They have been told what to think by multiple sources and just tow the line like a group for stupid sheep. You mentioned the location being a factor, I'd disagree there and say they could have picked 1000 forecourts and got the same answers in 900 of them.

I'd bet my bottom dollar they wouldn't have had them answers where I live but your general point is a fair one, the brainwashing is unfortunately widespread.

Yet another Eu cunt on the take. These are not insignificant middle managers who've slipped through the net, they are thundercunts in control of our lives. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2021/10/13/ecb-banker-kazimir-accused-of-bribery

It's like the expose of our favourite 1970s game show hosts, when we realise the party hats and over exaggerated mannerisms were just a front to mask their own failings.

Innocent until proven guilty of course: utter bunch of no good cunts.

22 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Yep

Isnt going to happen

Publically anyway.  But privately in the voting booth they might admit the error of their ways, but only with a genuine alternative to vote for.  That's why Labour need to get their shit together before the next GE. 

The fella above got little on this fella though, Ursula's right hand man, a right wing maniac that punished his own people so badly with massive austerity cuts most of the male population had no option but to leave the country. 

One of his austerity cuts was to do away with safety checks on buildings, the result was the biggest disaster in Latvian history, he was then forced out of his own country but went to the EU as vice president. 

https://news.sky.com/story/latvia-supermarket-collapse-pm-quits-10426496

Anyone with an understanding of the politics of Northern Ireland will recognise talk that people are primarily concerned with bread-and-butter issues over constitutional ones for the guff that it is. Sure, people care more about jobs and affordable health care on a day-to-day basis than about the Union or Brexit, and polling will reflect that. But when it comes to the former in Northern Ireland and the latter in England, large swathes of the electorate will vote with only one concern in mind when they head into the privacy of the polling booth. Just as there has never been anything that Unionist parties can offer Nationalists that would make the reality of the partition of Ireland agreeable to them, there's nothing that Labour can offer to those who abandoned them for Brexit in the red wall seats that will make them come back to the fold. A hundred years hasn't been long enough to resolve all the issues unleashed by partition. About the best that can said about the current dispensation in England is that it shouldn't take that long for Brexit to work its way through the body politic.