You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Nah I'm not, inflation is very very low now, a Labour supporter spouting low inflation should imo be treated with about as much respect as someone touting the old maxing out the credit card nonsense. It really is another false bogeyman used by Conservatives to attain a low wage market.

Just look at facts. You don't have to be in favour of them or oppose them, you just need to acknowledge that they are facts.

Go back and read my post about the disadvantages of the current shortages of goods and labour. Try to understand it this time.

32 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Just look at facts. You don't have to be in favour of them or oppose them, you just need to acknowledge that they are facts.

Go back and read my post about the disadvantages of the current shortages of goods and labour. Try to understand it this time.

OK sorry Angry I can't right now but with the inflation subject I've probably gone onto another part of argument, but the inflation issue will soon come to the fore and tories will use it to stop giving pay rises.

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

OK sorry Angry I can't right now but with the inflation subject I've probably gone onto another part of argument, but the inflation issue will soon come to the fore and tories will use it to stop giving pay rises.

No doubt they will. They'll be wrong to do so, because the current inflation (and that forecast for the next few months, at least) isn't caused by pay rises: it's caused mainly by shortages of goods. But the impact of it will be felt most sharply by poorer people and by small, independent companies.

This is not a good thing.

39 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

No doubt they will. They'll be wrong to do so, because the current inflation (and that forecast for the next few months, at least) isn't caused by pay rises: it's caused mainly by shortages of goods. But the impact of it will be felt most sharply by poorer people and by small, independent companies.

This is not a good thing.

Yes I do agree with both your first two points, this small inflation rise I believe is indeed caused by shortages of goods. Not sure on your last point though and definitely do not agree its a reason not to champion pay rises for the poor.

Sorry Angry, on phone, that's the wrong link.

What do you mean"don't agree it's not a reason to champion pay rises for the poor". Again - you're arguing against something that nobody is arguing for.

The difference is, instead of shouting "in't Brexit brilliant!" because of the current sector-specific rises, I'd rather recognise them for what they are (temporary responses to a situation that's also causing a lot of problems for working class people) and support campaigns for all workers who are long overdue a raise.

And here we fucking go, right on time, get ready for a lot more of this...the inflation scare stories start...

if you're seriously worried about a post 4% inflation rate then you're probably concerned about Frank Bruno leaving the country if the government puts up the higher rate of tax...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9855503/amp/Price-pint-rise-15p-2022-amid-4-inflation-rate.html?utm_source=newsshowcase&utm_medium=discover&utm_campaign&utm_content

43 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

And here we fucking go, right on time, get ready for a lot more of this...the inflation scare stories start...

if you're seriously worried about a post 4% inflation rate then you're probably concerned about Frank Bruno leaving the country if the government puts up the higher rate of tax...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9855503/amp/Price-pint-rise-15p-2022-amid-4-inflation-rate.html?utm_source=newsshowcase&utm_medium=discover&utm_campaign&utm_content

You do know there's no correlation there at all, don't you? Nobody gives a fuck about rich people threatening to leave, because frankly we could do without them.

People rightly worry about inflation, because it hits poorer people hardest: well-off people can absorb a 4% increase in the cost of things and they also have a level of discretionary spending that they can cut back on; poorer people are already spending every penny they can get on essentials. How would you explain to them that a rise in the cost of those essentials is a good thing?

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Is this the only place left in the UK where people are still debating Brexit ? It’s like some remote pacific island with the Japanese army holding out until 1955.

It’s done, Remain lost and we left. Not obvious yet if it’s a good or bad thing overall but certainly not the apocalypse that was predicted. £ is up, FTSE is above 7,000 and a lot of working class people are getting pay rises. 

Empty shelves, the future of northern Ireland in doubt, fishing industry sold down the river,job shortages.,those clowns already looking to regnotaite..that's 6 months in with the added uncertainty of covid.

I'm not sure I'd be celebrating yet tbh

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Empty shelves, the future of northern Ireland in doubt, fishing industry sold down the river,job shortages.,those clowns already looking to regnotaite..that's 6 months in with the added uncertainty of covid.

I'm not sure I'd be celebrating yet tbh

Yes but we haven't gone to war with an EU nation since Brexit so it's still not the apocalypse that was predicted.

9 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Is this the only place left in the UK where people are still debating Brexit ? It’s like some remote pacific island with the Japanese army holding out until 1955.

It’s done, Remain lost and we left. Not obvious yet if it’s a good or bad thing overall but certainly not the apocalypse that was predicted. £ is up, FTSE is above 7,000 and a lot of working class people are getting pay rises. 

Gnasher's second account is as mental as his first account. Meanwhile the 1st January 2022 deadline is looming for the next fuck up and our new testing standards for products aren't even in place.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-red-tape-damage-uk-manufacturing-factories-b1895077.html

Going to be fun when British maintained planes will have to stop flying internationaly because the maintenance of them won't be to any approved standard.

8 hours ago, Moo said:

Yes but we haven't gone to war with an EU nation since Brexit so it's still not the apocalypse that was predicted.

I remember the Remain campaign driving around in a big bus with "The Hunger Games within 3 months of leaving" on the side of it. Turns out that was a lie.

46 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Gnasher's second account is as mental as his first account. Meanwhile the 1st January 2022 deadline is looming for the next fuck up and our new testing standards for products aren't even in place.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-red-tape-damage-uk-manufacturing-factories-b1895077.html

Going to be fun when British maintained planes will have to stop flying internationaly because the maintenance of them won't be to any approved standard.

That looks like another area where Tory/Brexity twats will shout a few jingoistic soundbites for the benefit of the headline writers at the shitrags, before - at the last minute - bending over and doing what had to be done all along: agreeing to accept and enforce all the EU rules and standards, even though we have no input into setting them.

For those worried about inflation, the current inflation rate is 2.5% when Margaret Thatcher and the right wing press fooled the British public into being unduly concerned with inflation under the the then Labour government it was 20%. 

Thatcher did indeed get inflation down to 5%, still double what the rate is currently but the cost was mass unemployment.

So rather listen to the daily mail and the disciples of Thatcher don't worry about an inflation rate of a poxy 2.50%, spend your time worring about something more legitimate, like the UK being invaded by Belgium.

24 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

For those worried about inflation, the current inflation rate is 2.5% when Margaret Thatcher and the right wing press fooled the British public into being unduly concerned with inflation under the the then Labour government it was 20%. 

Thatcher did indeed get inflation down to 5%, still double what the rate is currently but the cost was mass unemployment.

So rather listen to the daily mail and the disciples of Thatcher don't worry about an inflation rate of a poxy 2.50%, spend your time worring about something more legitimate, like the UK being invaded by Belgium.

Have you been frozen for 40 years, like Philip J Fry?

9 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

People rightly worry about inflation, because it hits poorer people hardest: well-off people can absorb a 4% increase in the cost of things and they also have a level of discretionary spending that they can cut back on; poorer people are already spending every penny they can get on essentials. How would you explain to them that a rise in the cost of those essentials is a good thing?

31 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Is that your answer to poor people who are seeing their already-inadequate wages eroded by 4% inflation? "Call this inflation? In my day, we had proper inflation."

It does make me laugh when you come on here sometimes pretending that you're the only person who cares about exploited workers and then you spout shite like this.

37 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Don't believe the daily mail regarding all things inflation, it would have to go through the roof to have a detrimental affect, their nonsense deserves to be laughed at..

This is why people accuse you of not reading what you post. (I can almost understand it when you post a link to a long article, but that's a tweet, ffs!)

Varoufakis said, last year, that governmental Covid-support packages wouldn't cause inflation. He never said inflation is anything other than bad for working class people, because... well, because inflation is bad for working class people.

45 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Is that your answer to poor people who are seeing their already-inadequate wages eroded by 4% inflation? "Call this inflation? In my day, we had proper inflation."

It does make me laugh when you come on here sometimes pretending that you're the only person who cares about exploited workers and then you spout shite like this.

Inflation under 10% is really not something to worry about, its a sign of a healthy economy. Their is very little chance of the UK hitting anywhere near 10% Inflation within the next few years. Its another tory/mail scare story. 

Genuine question Angry, I understand we are not economists but do you honestly believe we'll see double digit Inflation any time soon?

Varoufakis campaigned for the UK to remain part of the EU. I imagine he saw the difference between the UK and Greece as the UK not being part of the single currency and having special status that would allow it to effect change from the inside.

19 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Inflation under 10% is really not something to worry about, its a sign of a healthy economy. Their is very little chance of the UK hitting anywhere near 10% Inflation within the next few years. Its another tory/mail scare story. 

Genuine question Angry, I understand we are not economists but do you honestly believe we'll see double digit Inflation any time soon?

No. If I did, I would have said so.

I honestly believe that we will hit something like 4% inflation and, for millions of people, that is enough to make the difference between barely getting by and not getting by; between paying the rent and being evicted; between their employer staying in business and their employer going bust.

You surely can't be unaware of this.