You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

This is a good source of stats on UK exports :

UK trade - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

If we compare April 19 (pre pandemic) to April 21 (post pandemic in the UK) these are the figures :

EU exports : April 19 = £11.9 billion, April 21 = £11.4 billion  

Non EU exports : April 19 £13.5 billon, April 21 = £12.3 billion                                                                                 

Both sets of numbers down on the April 19 equivalent but only by 6% which is very low considering some of our biggest export markets are still in some form of lockdown.

UK/EU exports down by 4%.  

Not quite the catastrophe predicted. 

Hmmm. 

There's a caveat here, at some point we'll know what it is.

Not quite the catastrophe?  What, the pandemic? 

51 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

No project Fear. We were told there would be food and medicine shortages after Brexit and trade with the EU would massively decline. That hasn’t happened. I think the world or maybe just this forum would be a much nicer place if people conceded that they got things wrong sometimes. I was a remainer, I thought it would be disastrous mistake and so far, it hasn’t. 

But there are fruit and veg shortages, hence the gaps in shelves.   

As for medicine, it was never a case of problems with getting hold of paracetamol, it was niche drugs and I have no idea if that came to pass or was mitigated.  

And then there's fish...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1451341/Brexit-news-fishing-latest-annual-quota-negotiations-eu-trade-deal/amp&ved=2ahUKEwiAhevni6TxAhXJPsAKHdzvDBMQ0PADegQIDhAB&usg=AOvVaw1ourEfAWZ-FGOTxEebQBYO&ampcf=1

3 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Screenshot 2021-06-19 at 17.55.03.pngScreenshot 2021-06-19 at 17.55.09.pngScreenshot 2021-06-19 at 17.55.13.pngScreenshot 2021-06-19 at 17.55.18.pngScreenshot 2021-06-19 at 17.55.22.pngScreenshot 2021-06-19 at 17.55.28.pngScreenshot 2021-06-19 at 17.55.32.pngScreenshot 2021-06-19 at 17.55.36.png

April was a tough month...

The YOY comparison is misleading as the UK, and several other countries, were in their full first lockdown by this point so trade is distorted.

Yeah, I should have known that someone was trying to pull a fast one, just disappointed it was the ONS. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Yeah, I should have known that someone was trying to pull a fast one, just disappointed it was the ONS. 

This is just the full data set from the ONS extrapolated, they did this, but with gov.uk they are led by ministers, though it should be objective.

As always the truth lies in that that’s obscured.

11 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Paul Mason, the lauded 'commie cunt' economist, asking for wage increases and them actually happening are not part of the official Brexit magic policy as far as I know, sadly.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Ah shoot the messenger time. I think Stig was more disgusted about the fucker with the expensive watch on the front of the telegraph, he's right it's an overpriced load of shit as is Paul Mason right might upset a few but the low paid will/are doing well out of this labour shortage especially in the construction and service industry.

Even white collar/professional salaries are on the up.

https://www.robertwalters.co.uk/news/UK-firms-shrug-off-brexit.html

24 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Even white collar/professional salaries are on the up.

https://www.robertwalters.co.uk/news/UK-firms-shrug-off-brexit.html

That link is a prediction for 2020. Unsurprisingly, it never happened. 

https://www.hrmagazine.co.uk/articles/pay-rises-and-bonuses-will-be-sparse-for-white-collar-workers/

15 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That link is a prediction for 2020. Unsurprisingly, it never happened. 

https://www.hrmagazine.co.uk/articles/pay-rises-and-bonuses-will-be-sparse-for-white-collar-workers/

Sparse but still a rise, anyway all evidence shows wage increases for mainly low paid workers. The best news is firms having to train more apprenticeship workers, the wage increases may indeed be temporary (although it doesn't seem that way at mo) but these apprenticeships are real and they are long term and are absolute game changers for thousands of kids throughout the country.

41% of firms looking to increase skills of workers, 16% undertaking more apprenticeships... most of these kids are working class traditional Labour voters Angry ffs, not multi millionaire land owners down Surrey.

http://www.infrastructure-intelligence.com/article/feb-2021/citb-finds-jobs-boost-british-workers-post-brexit-construction

We're not going to agree on this. You're leaping on every report of anything that looks positive as proof that Brexit is a roaring success; I'm waiting for the longer-term, post-pandemic impacts of Brexit to become evident before I break out the bunting. We could carry on for ages, but there's really no point.

I'm glad some workers are getting a much-needed pay rise. I'd be happier if I thought it was permanent. 

40 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

We're not going to agree on this. You're leaping on every report of anything that looks positive as proof that Brexit is a roaring success; I'm waiting for the longer-term, post-pandemic impacts of Brexit to become evident before I break out the bunting. We could carry on for ages, but there's really no point.

I'm glad some workers are getting a much-needed pay rise. I'd be happier if I thought it was permanent. 

I notice you ignored the main point/plus of the kids getting more apprenticeships, not your thing? 

First they came for the fishermen and I did not speak because I was not a fishermen.

Then they came for the farmers....

Now steel.

'The government was on Saturday night accused of dealing a hammer blow to the struggling British steel industry in the name of Brexit and free trade, as a fresh political row blew up over plans to allow more cheap foreign imports into the UK.

Several Tory MPs in “red wall” seats, backed by the Labour party and steel industry leaders, are furious that a government body has officially recommended that protections inherited from the EU to safeguard UK producers be ended imminently by the government.

On Monday Labour will stage a Commons debate and vote on the issue to try to kill off the plans, hoping to win Tory backing from backbenchers who have voiced their anger at the harm more cheap imports would do to their steel-producing areas.

Referring to the recent recommendation by the Trade Remedies Authority (TRA) – an arm’s-length body that operates in the Department for International Trade – Gareth Stace, director general of UK Steel, which represents the industry, said the fact that the EU had just renewed its protections on Friday meant the UK steel industry would be even more exposed if ministers acted on official advice. “The TRA’s decision to terminate steel safeguards for half of the product categories exposes the UK’s steel sector to uncontrolled surges in imports and is a hammer blow.”

Stace added: “The UK government is squandering the opportunity to make Brexit work for domestic industry and is letting an arm’s length body harm the British steel sector, not support it. We want to work with the government to level up Britain, instead they are levelling down our steel sector.”

The shadow business secretary, Ed Miliband, said: “The significance of this decision for our steel industry cannot be overstated. UK Steel has described the government’s proposal as ‘madness’, and ministers must listen. If the government slashes import protection, it risks opening the floodgates to cheap steel imports, undercutting British steel.

“We should be using every tool at our disposal to support our steel industry yet the government is pursuing the opposite course. This is the opposite of what the government promised they would do after Brexit.”'

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jun/20/brexit-madness-will-wreck-uk-steel-industry-tories-warned

15 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

First they came for the fishermen and I did not speak because I was not a fishermen.

Then they came for the farmers....

Now steel.

'The government was on Saturday night accused of dealing a hammer blow to the struggling British steel industry in the name of Brexit and free trade, as a fresh political row blew up over plans to allow more cheap foreign imports into the UK.

Several Tory MPs in “red wall” seats, backed by the Labour party and steel industry leaders, are furious that a government body has officially recommended that protections inherited from the EU to safeguard UK producers be ended imminently by the government.

On Monday Labour will stage a Commons debate and vote on the issue to try to kill off the plans, hoping to win Tory backing from backbenchers who have voiced their anger at the harm more cheap imports would do to their steel-producing areas.

Referring to the recent recommendation by the Trade Remedies Authority (TRA) – an arm’s-length body that operates in the Department for International Trade – Gareth Stace, director general of UK Steel, which represents the industry, said the fact that the EU had just renewed its protections on Friday meant the UK steel industry would be even more exposed if ministers acted on official advice. “The TRA’s decision to terminate steel safeguards for half of the product categories exposes the UK’s steel sector to uncontrolled surges in imports and is a hammer blow.”

Stace added: “The UK government is squandering the opportunity to make Brexit work for domestic industry and is letting an arm’s length body harm the British steel sector, not support it. We want to work with the government to level up Britain, instead they are levelling down our steel sector.”

The shadow business secretary, Ed Miliband, said: “The significance of this decision for our steel industry cannot be overstated. UK Steel has described the government’s proposal as ‘madness’, and ministers must listen. If the government slashes import protection, it risks opening the floodgates to cheap steel imports, undercutting British steel.

“We should be using every tool at our disposal to support our steel industry yet the government is pursuing the opposite course. This is the opposite of what the government promised they would do after Brexit.”'

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jun/20/brexit-madness-will-wreck-uk-steel-industry-tories-warned

Just waiting for the positive spin from Gnash or how CAP has kept steel prices high.