You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

18 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

What are taxes like in the Netherlands?

The UK took a decent slab of income from those cunts, even with our habit of turning a blind eye to tax-dodging.  Will the Netherlands get a bit of a boost from this?

They should be on 49.5% over 68.5K but probably get the 30% tax free saving as inducement. 

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

It's almost 10 billion euros of trading a day so probably not just that. 

I was kidding mate. London is a cunt of a place. Good on them. 

EDIT: Londons actually fucking great but as Stringvest once rightly pointed out, you need to be pretty minted to properly enjoy the best of it. 

On 10/02/2021 at 15:35, Gnasher said:

Hmm not quite yet maybe "Believe you me the German banks are ready to print Deuschmarks, the process has already begun"

You're being disingenuous. He says "the process" of protecting against a collapse of the Euro has begun: no process for printing Deutschmarks has begun  (although he speculates that they probably have contingency plans in place - which is as it should be; having fire evacuation plans doesn’t mean that the building is already on fire).

On 10/02/2021 at 15:35, Gnasher said:

Oh and what do you think of his speech to the Oxford union where he makes the claim that the euro is making the poor of Europe poorer?

I've never really had a good enough understanding of macroeconomics to take a definite view on that, but I suspect that the Euro is a double-edged sword. In the optimistic early 90s, (some) EU Member States signed up to it because they thought it would do more good than harm; the way things have panned out, it looks like it's more likely to increase inequality between Member States. 

Looks like the UK's vaccination rollout isn’t really so much better than that of the EU after all.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2021/feb/14/brexit-britain-eu-covid-vaccination-fiasco?__twitter_impression=true&s=09

(NB - Gnash, you might want to read that; he puts the boot in on your mate Ursula.)

20 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Is it the first of April?

This particular white elephant is in the north. Therefore it'll never happen. Just a green light for talks about plans to set up a London-based parliamentary committee to discuss the feasibility of working with a group of multi-national, American-owned construction conglomerates (headed by tory donors) to look into the feasibility of maybe building a tunnel in 2042. Then deciding (after a lengthy consultancy period of 12 years of consultants being paid £500/hr) that putting on a few extra ferries is cheaper. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You're being disingenuous. He says "the process" of protecting against a collapse of the Euro has begun: no process for printing Deutschmarks has begun  (although he speculates that they probably have contingency plans in place - which is as it should be; having fire evacuation plans doesn’t mean that the building is already on fire).

I've never really had a good enough understanding of macroeconomics to take a definite view on that, but I suspect that the Euro is a double-edged sword. In the optimistic early 90s, (some) EU Member States signed up to it because they thought it would do more good than harm; the way things have panned out, it looks like it's more likely to increase inequality between Member States. 

Not being disingenuous at all. "Plans in the draw to convert into German currency, the process has already begun'  make of that what you will but it feels a little more urgent than putting a fire extinguisher in the corner of the room.

As for the second point isnt it funny that an organisation run by people closely affiliated to the banking industry and the political right that their policies favour the rich and punish the poor? Back luck I suppose.

Just now, Gnasher said:

Not being disingenuous at all. "Plans in the draw to convert into German currency, the process has already begun'  make of that what you will but it feels a little more urgent than putting a fire extinguisher in the corner of the room.

Yes, you're being disingenuous because nobody actually said the bits you've put in inverted commas. You've taken bits of two separate things and pasted them together to look like something different.  That's disingenuous. 

Just now, Gnasher said:

As for the second point isnt it funny that an organisation run by people closely affiliated to the banking industry and the political right that their policies favour the rich and punish the poor? Back luck I suppose.

Nobody's ever denied that the key decision-makers in the national governments of the Member States  - and, by extension, of the EU  - in the last 30 years have been horny for neoliberalism. 

I’m at the point now where I’m convinced they are doing this deliberately to harm the nation.

The article below sets out just some of the exports that we now can’t send as a third country and subject to EU regulations on quality.

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-shellfish-europe-ban-agriculture-headaches/

These are things that affect hundreds of thousands initially, but the country as a whole as well.

The EU have offered to renegotiate certain parts, but... 

As yet, the British government isn’t promising anything. “Having secured a high-quality free trade agreement with the EU,” the spokesperson said, “we will not be reopening the negotiations, although we remain committed to doing all we can to support exporters as they adjust to the new processes.”’

World beating arrogance.