You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think you’re giving a free pass to terrorists. It’s not the Government’s fault that some fucking nutters decide to start killing innocent people becuase somebody else has to fill in a few extra forms when they export a lorry load of chickens. The normal sensible people of Northern Ireland want peace and it’s the psychopaths on both sides who are exploiting this situation so they can go back to terrorising their communities and make themselves feel important. Put the blame where it actually belongs, the governments of either country aren’t creating the violence, the terrorists are. 

Behave, Colonel. He’s not giving a free pass to terrorists. Like it or not, that’s the situation that exists in Ireland. It’s a fragile, hard-won peace that teeters on a knife edge. Acknowledging the reality isn’t giving anyone a free-pass. You don’t have to like it or the parties involved or agree with it, but you have to face the reality that exists. It’s the political reality on the ground that you have to deal with.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think you’re giving a free pass to terrorists. It’s not the Government’s fault that some fucking nutters decide to start killing innocent people becuase somebody else has to fill in a few extra forms when they export a lorry load of chickens. The normal sensible people of Northern Ireland want peace and it’s the psychopaths on both sides who are exploiting this situation so they can go back to terrorising their communities and make themselves feel important. Put the blame where it actually belongs, the governments of either country aren’t creating the violence, the terrorists are. 

It is this governments fault if they threaten a peace process that has worked for over 20 years because they mislead the country and failed to put a safe workable process in place.

They've never had a proper plan for Northern Island. It's always been treated as an irritating afterthought by Brexiteers.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Were you with William at the Boyne?

2 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Blaming governments or the EU is giving these criminals a pass. They are doing the killing, nobody else is. Following your logic if I kill my next door neighbour because of his noisy kids, it’s the kids fault for “not acknowledging the reality” that I’m a nutter. 

No, but you are a nutter for thinking that's an equivalent scenario.

Every war everywhere can be boiled down to 'individuals committing crimes for perceived causes'. Pointless to do that though as you miss the bigger picture.

I think it is much simpler than that.

Well, there's your problem.

It's not that simple at all. It's not the case that waking up and deciding to kill people was fashionable from 1969 to Easter 1997, then fell out of popularity, for some reason that nobody can fathom.

Political violence takes place in a political context.  Always. And governments are the ones most responsible for setting that context.

• Upvote 1

I think it is much simpler than that. The people perpetuating the violence on both sides are just normal people who think they have the right to kill other people becuase they disagree with their politics. Everyday they wake up and have a choice about whether to continue the troubles that are blighting the lives of their community and everyday they decide to carry on. 

Blaming governments or the EU is giving these criminals a pass. They are doing the killing, nobody else is. Following your logic if I kill my next door neighbour because of his noisy kids, it’s the kids fault for “not acknowledging the reality” that I’m a nutter. 

You’ve missed my point. I have not said that these individuals or groups are lovely people and murder should be accommodated. I’ve pointed out a political reality on the ground, and that any government dealing with it needs to address that political reality. And yes, if you ignore that political reality and bungle in there, and people, innocent or not, die as a result of it, then you have to take some measure of responsibility for that.

I'm in agreement with Gnasher that Ursula needs to go under the bus. He needs to take one for the team and throw herself under it.

She has given the lying psychopaths something to clutch on to, while she keeps her position they will use the article 16 incident in a Trump like manner. Shes only a figure head anyway, just get rid of her and anyone else involved with it. This needs to be nipped in the bud before Gove and the DUP takes us down a route that leads to brutal consequences. 

23 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm in agreement with Gnasher that Ursula needs to go under the bus. He needs to take one for the team and throw herself under it.

She has given the lying psychopaths something to clutch on to, while she keeps her position they will use the article 16 incident in a Trump like manner. Shes only a figure head anyway, just get rid of her and anyone else involved with it. This needs to be nipped in the bud before Gove and the DUP takes us down a route that leads to brutal consequences. 

It's true. Gove especially will use the eu cock up to cause all sorts of shit. If the top boss and a couple of lackeys resign then if the British government pull any stunts commentators can at least point to the eu taking the moral high ground and treating the issue with the gravitas it deserves. Peace in Ireland is more important than the jobs of a couple of eu spokespeople.

If Von der Leyen goes and Johnson also resigns the two could quite easily play a couple of Nazis in the broadway edition  of the sound of music. They were born to play the parts and it gets them both off the continent.

2 minutes ago, A Red said:

There will be troubles ahead

but while there's moonlight and love and romance let's face the music and dance.

A little known fact is the above is the tune Gerry Adam's and Mo Molem danced to after the stormount agreement was signed. Bruno from strictly come dancing happened to be rooming in a nearby hotel and got invited over, he gave the dance a 10. 

4 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

The Berlin Wall coming down is a bit like when I threw away an old bolster pillow.

Fucking get it back up I say. 

Not for any political reasons but it'll give our brickies a bit of work and it'll give birth to a new series of Auf Weidershanan Pet. 

17 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Yeah I agree. Life is too short to be arguing with nutters over the battle of the Boyne. I am sticking to the etiquette of beans on cooked breakfasts. 

If ever there was a valid reason for a bombing campaign on the UK mainland its this