You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

On 30/01/2021 at 07:15, Anubis said:

Missed what happened yesterday so only just catching up. To conclude:

1. The EU did something a bit silly.

2. The EU were heavily criticised.

3. The EU considered that and changed their position.

Good to see governance that shows the type of humility we so often see from our own government, with whom Gnash is so much in love...

On 30/01/2021 at 07:39, Gnasher said:

I burst out laughing at your 1. EU did something a bit silly.  Fair play, thats fucking brilliant.

Apologies that my original post did not meet your exacting standards so I’ve altered it to something you’d prefer...

1. Oh my god! Oh my god! The EU have doomed us all. Fire. Brimstone. Plagues of locusts. Dogs and cats living together. We’re doomed. Pillars of salt. Everything will be destroyed. Armageddon beckons! 
tenor.gif

Good to see governance that shows the type of humility we so often see from our own government, with whom Gnash is so much in love...

11 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Apologies that my original post did not meet your exacting standards so I’ve altered it to something you’d prefer...

1. Oh my god! Oh my god! The EU have doomed us all. Fire. Brimstone. Plagues of locusts. Dogs and cats living together. We’re doomed. Pillars of salt. Everything will be destroyed. Armageddon beckons! 
tenor.gif

I'm in love with our own government? Haha yeah crack on. 

If you're fond of a German aristocrat, mate of Merkel, pushes privatisation and gives contracts to private firms, big advocate of mass (cheap) labour, not particularly bothered about the climate (not one of the 300 plus green meps voted for her and we can now see why) big on military , big on pomp and splendour and slightly to the left of Ian Duncan Smith with an impressive record of utter incompetence then the president of the European Union is definitely the gal for you. 

https://www.politico.eu/article/ursula-von-der-leyen-biography-career-inconvenient-truth/

I'll give her a miss thanks. 

It strikes me how binary arguments are these days, something I think we are importing from the US. On the face of it, the EU haven't handled this very well - at least that's how its being presented, and its clearly being used by sections of the media as vindication for Brexit. But its like justifying burning your own house down because you liked staying in a tent last year on holiday. Certain aspects of the EU do need reforming, and occasionally, the UK government do get things right. It hasn't changed my opinion on Brexit being a massive clusterfuck and something that was driven to benefit a very narrow section of the population.

• Upvote 11

47 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Tilting at windmills.  Again.

Literally nobody here has ever expressed any fondness for Ursula von der Leyen.  Who do you imagine you're arguing with?

He admitted he was wrong over Brexit, the big beardy weirdo, then comes back to argue as if somebody was still here talking up the EU, as if anybody here ever said it wasn’t without huge flaws. It’s actually obsessive and strange. Yes, Gnasher, everyone understands and accepts and agrees that the EU has many flaws, loads of cunts, and is imperfect. Wish we were still part of it though. 

Move on. Lock the thread. Kill it. Burn it. Scatter the ashes to the four winds. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Numero said:

He admitted he was wrong over Brexit, the big beardy weirdo, then comes back to argue as if somebody was still here talking up the EU, as if anybody here ever said it wasn’t without huge flaws. It’s actually obsessive and strange. Yes, Gnasher, everyone understands and accepts and agrees that the EU has many flaws, loads of cunts, and is imperfect. Wish we were still part of it though. 

Move on. Lock the thread. Kill it. Burn it. Scatter the ashes to the four winds. 

I wasn't wrong over Brexit? I would probably prefer us to be in purely for the financial implications. 

My veiw on the eu in general is pretty much the same, I fail to see why people trump it up and defend it so vigorously. Its drifting further to the right and now the eu seems to be losing its competence, which it seemed to rely on, but hey ho there you go.

55 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I wasn't wrong over Brexit? I would probably prefer us to be in purely for the financial implications. 

My veiw on the eu in general is pretty much the same, I fail to see why people trump it up and defend it so vigorously. Its drifting further to the right and now the eu seems to be losing its competence, which it seemed to rely on, but hey ho there you go.

Which people "trump it up"?

Some of us here will argue with you when you talk absolute shit, but literally nobody bangs on about it being wonderful. 

24 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Which people "trump it up"?

Some of us here will argue with you when you talk absolute shit, but literally nobody bangs on about it being wonderful. 

Angry you're one of the ones who defend it like you're in the fucking Moonies. You've got Stockholm syndrome.

One small example. Your ridiculous assumption the eu is responsible for European peace; oh please come on. After 2 world wars the main European countries were no longer in a position to fight with each other, all worn out. No chance, no armies, no desire, no money and all intent on rebuilding, Germany and Italy were not permitted to re arm anyway, plus of course you have Nato.  

You keep blowing smoke up the eu arse if it makes you feel better, I'll take a more cautious approach and abstain.

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Tilting at windmills.  Again.

Literally nobody here has ever expressed any fondness for Ursula von der Leyen.  Who do you imagine you're arguing with?

Himself. Justifying his stance by creating made up arguments.

9 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

We’ve left, those of us who voted Remain lost the vote, the consequences predicted by project Fear hasn’t happened yet and probably never will. 

Which predicted consequences are those?

12 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’m late to this thread but it feels like those apocryphal stories of Japanese soldiers holding out and continuing the war on tiny Pacific islands until the late 1940s. We’ve left, those of us who voted Remain lost the vote, the consequences predicted by project Fear hasn’t happened yet and probably never will. Time to move on and make the best of where we are. 

I'm not sure how politically neutral you are to this, especially with the reference to "Project Fear". Opponents to Brexit simply pointed out that trading with the EU would become more difficult and more expensive - as has been proven so far, even in the first few weeks. They also said that we, as a country, would be worse off financially. It's convenient that at the moment, government borrowing is being done in the name of the pandemic as that will serve to muddy the waters a little. Nobody predicted the end of the world - that stuff was reserved to the hyperbole coming from the right.

58 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’m late to this thread but it feels like those apocryphal stories of Japanese soldiers holding out and continuing the war on tiny Pacific islands until the late 1940s. We’ve left, those of us who voted Remain lost the vote, the consequences predicted by project Fear hasn’t happened yet and probably never will. Time to move on and make the best of where we are. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/31/brexit-trade-troubles-teething-problems-endemic-disruption

You just don't seem to be following the news then.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Angry you're one of the ones who defend it like you're in the fucking Moonies. You've got Stockholm syndrome.

One small example. Your ridiculous assumption the eu is responsible for European peace; oh please come on. After 2 world wars the main European countries were no longer in a position to fight with each other, all worn out. No chance, no armies, no desire, no money and all intent on rebuilding, Germany and Italy were not permitted to re arm anyway, plus of course you have Nato.  

You keep blowing smoke up the eu arse if it makes you feel better, I'll take a more cautious approach and abstain.

Incorrect.  I only "defend it" by correcting your mad, obsessive lies.

Also, it is a demonstrable fact - not a "ridiculous assumption" - that membership of the EU makes it practically impossible for Member States to go to war with each other.  You really should read up on this, instead of going to your usual knee-jerk denial.  Of course, European nations who were battered by two world wars have managed to go to war with each other at various times in the last 75 years; but no EU Members have gone to war with each other.  You could assume that this is a coincidence, or you could take a more realistic view.

On this thread, at least, you are a prime example of the binary thinking that Rushie's Tash mentioned.  Everyone who thinks the UK would be better off in the EU is prepared to criticise the EU; but you only see things in black & white and you are pathologically unable to admit that any good has ever come from the EU, or even admit that there are bad things that happen that are nothing to do with the EU.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Er the threats made by then chancellor George Osborne perhaps. You dont  remember? Or are you just being disingenuous?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-economy-paul-johnson-george-osborne_uk_58763038e4b087dc83e7d5e9

Nooooo. The previous poster said that the consequences "predicted by project Fear hasn’t happened yet".  I asked which ones [haven't happened yet]?

20 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Here are what Guardian readers were predicting in August including the UK becoming the new Greece and being bailed out by the IMF. I think that’s pretty hyperbolic. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/01/so-project-fear-was-in-fact-reality-readers-on-no-deal-brexit-funding

Just off that first one, supply chains have been distrupted, currency still down 20% and jobs are leaving. Add to that food distribution issues with NI, building materials running low that'll slow construction, EU share trading gone, duties, customs forms delays at the ports, exports falling off a cliff and all these are just for starters. We're still in an abeyance period and the real customs issues won't start until April. You need to try harder.

• Upvote 2