You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, A Red said:

I think its way too early to decide whether leaving will be good or a disaster. I voted leave but regret it, my reason was that I think the EU will implode at some point and the UK would be better off watching on the side lines. As I said, I have re-thought and realise I made a mistake (I have form for making mistakes).

I hope it works well obviously but will perhaps look in to getting an Irish passport

My Mrs and the kids all qualify for Irish passports. If needs be, I reckon that should be enough to get me out of this chickenshit country.

7 minutes ago, skend04 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/30/uk-firms-plan-to-shift-across-channel-after-brexit-chaos

I just don't see Brexit being any kind of success. The tax loss alone to fund public services is going to be massive.

Yup, it's going to be a terrible mess

A top quality Government could have gone down the road of high tax, high investment with a very active industrial strategy which could turn us into something like Scando/Swiss model in 20 odd years time

A top quality govt. would never have considered Brexit, though, due to self inflicted damage.

See Scots Indy for similar outcomes

The problem with the vaccine stuff is it's kind of been an example of everything that's wrong with the beuracracy side of things in the EU. Individual nations were able to negotiate their own deals but the European commission took on the role instead, the idea being that it could broker better prices trading as a bloc. It would seem to have fucked things up though and is looking for people to blame.

With the UK leaving more attention will be placed on the EU's perceived flaws, it'll be trying to show that it's not all the negative shit that's levelled at it but it's been found wanting here. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The problem with the vaccine stuff is it's kind of been an example of everything that's wrong with the beuracracy side of things in the EU. Individual nations were able to negotiate their own deals but the European commission took on the role instead, the idea being that it could broker better prices trading as a bloc. It would seem to have fucked things up though and is looking for people to blame.

With the UK leaving more attention will be placed on the EU's perceived flaws, it'll be trying to show that it's not all the negative shit that's levelled at it but it's been found wanting here. 

Can I ask a question, imagine the situation in which Germany has developed a vaccine at, I don't know, Heidelberg, and Bayer or someone signed a supply contract with German government, then signed another huge contract with the UK government, then failed to deliver half of what it promised, but still supplying all it promised to the German government and only 30% of what it promised to the UK. And when asked to split the shortfall said, no, Germany comes first. And then the German government says to the media, look at our vaccine roll out, and look how poor the roll out is in Britain, how they fucked things up. 

What would the reaction in UK be to that?

1 hour ago, Rushies tash said:

My Mrs and the kids all qualify for Irish passports. If needs be, I reckon that should be enough to get me out of this chickenshit country.

Where do you live ? Are things really that bad that you need to escape? I thought I saw you post on another thread that both you and your Mrs were decent earners, sorry if I got that wrong but what is it that’s so bad that you have to get out? Not being flippant just a genuine question. Where is it that will be so much better? Personally I love it where I live and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

10 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Where do you live ? Are things really that bad that you need to escape? I thought I saw you post on another thread that both you and your Mrs were decent earners, sorry if I got that wrong but what is it that’s so bad that you have to get out? Not being flippant just a genuine question. Where is it that will be so much better? Personally I love it where I live and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

We both earn enough to be comfortable. Doesn't mean I have to like the way this country is being run. There has been a marked lurch to the right, driven by a pernicious media, and a large percentage of population who seem more angry, ignorant and bigoted than ever. We have a government that has presided over 100,000 deaths, yet are riding high in the polls. Britain is a beautiful country, just ruined by the cunts who live in it.

Besides, I was being a little flippant in the other thread myself, as to be honest, I don't reckon Ireland would be much better.

7 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Ha!  Another EU-loving neoliberal shrill whitewashing and erm something.  BOOOO!

Angry. His first point was the eu did something a bit silly. It was ridiculous but you knew it was ridiculous. Your not stupid. Shout BOO to every reasonable thinking politician in Europe show understandable concern about developments regarding the Irish border 

What the fuck are you BOO ing about? Honestly, what's to mock? What's funny? You know Ireland is/was a powder keg that can erupt any time and does not need political influenced upheaval.  Both Sinn Fein and the Dup have both  castigated this reckless eu amendment. A lesson their maybe about the peace you flout Angry?

You constantly promote the eu as some weird peace organisation where everyone sings Vonn Trapp folk songs on some Austrian mountain but snigger when a peace accord that helped secure a peace between Ireland, Nth Ireland and Britain is threatened by a political organisation that really should know better. 

You should know better and I believe you do know better; but your weird cult like subservience to anything involving anything regarding the eu makes me think you really are just full of shit.

20 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Looks like the EU's earlier statements were just a tale told by an idiot; full of sound and fury, signifying nothing*.

Put your dick away, Gnash. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55865539

*That's how you reference Shakespeare.  Watch and learn. 

This attempt at a whitewash didnt age well did it angry?  Much ado about nothing? I dont think so Angry.  Hmm not being paid to Shill this type of shit are you?  I mean you normally promote eu peace and love; or is it that eu peace treaty doesn't reach as far as  Northern Ireland? 

Come on you cant defend these cunts, our prime minister and the heads of the eu should resign for their failures during the covid pandemic. 

It really is a case of us and them or it should be us against them. They are corporate capitalists and they are not on your side  To call these people incompetent is giving them a way out of the fire and fury that should engulf them..

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

You constantly promote the eu as some weird peace organisation where everyone sings Vonn Trapp folk songs on some Austrian mountain but snigger when a peace accord that helped secure a peace between Ireland, Nth Ireland and Britain is threatened by a political organisation that really should know better. 

None of this is true, you weirdo.

The BOO! was a piss-take of your reaction to anyone who, even when they criticise the actions of the EU, doesn't call for nukes on Brussels. 

23 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

None of this is true, you weirdo.

The BOO! was a piss-take of your reaction to anyone who, even when they criticise the actions of the EU, doesn't call for nukes on Brussels. 

Why do you keep throwing around silly childish stupid slurs on the internet angry (weirdo, racist blah blah blah) that you wouldn't dare in a real life situation? Why? I dont insult you do I? You pathetic keyboard warrior cunt.

A couple of simple questions for you Angry. Do you think the president of the eu should resign over this?  Do you think anyone should resign over this?

Thats two simple questions. Over to you.

59 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Why do you keep throwing around silly childish stupid slurs on the internet angry (weirdo, racist blah blah blah) that you wouldn't dare in a real life situation? Why? I dont insult you do I? You pathetic keyboard warrior cunt.

A couple of simple questions for you Angry. Do you think the president of the eu should resign over this?  Do you think anyone should resign over this?

Thats two simple questions. Over to you.

I call you a weirdo when you make shit up, the way a weirdo would.

I call you out on posting racist or sexist stuff when you post racist or sexist stuff.

Obviously, I do the same in face-to-face conversations with anyone who comes out with stuff like that. 

As I've already said, I've not been following this story closely: I missed the news for most of yesterday and I'd no sooner heard that a threat had been made, than I heard it had been withdrawn.   Having said that, I think I've already said (or implied) that politicians who fuck up badly should resign.

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

This attempt at a whitewash didnt age well did it angry?  Much ado about nothing? I dont think so Angry.  Hmm not being paid to Shill this type of shit are you?  I mean you normally promote eu peace and love; or is it that eu peace treaty doesn't reach as far as  Northern Ireland? 

Where to start?

What you're calling a "whitewash" is a statement of fact that the EU (for whatever reason) withdrew the threat that they never should have made in the first place. How has that statement "aged"?  The threat was withdrawn and remains withdrawn. 

As for your weird cheese-dreams about the EU paying people to argue with strangers on a football forum, I don't think even the Daily Express have made up anything quite as nonsensical as that (and they've been making up some pretty fantastic nonsense for decades).

You know, if you make up weird shit like that, people will call you a weirdo. 

I am loving your new-found concern for peace in Ireland, though. It's underpinned by a recognition that the Good Friday Agreement depends on free movement across that border: the kind of free movement that was provided by both the UK and Ireland being in the EU. Are you finally realising, 5 years after everyone else, that Brexit is a threat to peace in Ireland?

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Hmm. Centre right German plastic smile neo con. She really should resign. The peaceful process between the border of Northern and Southern Ireland is far more important than her  

https://www.ft.com/content/7ccc011a-9cf0-11e9-9c06-a4640c9feebb

Fuck you gnasher, you didn't give 2 fucks when you pushing for brexit.

8 hours ago, No2 said:

Fuck you gnasher, you didn't give 2 fucks when you pushing for brexit.

I've never pushed for brexit I just pointed out pitfalls of a Conservative eu. An eu that in every major crisis be it Greece, Austerity, Environmental issues, Catalonia, Youth Unemployment and now this vaccine saga has been found wanting. Its leader is a right wing free enterprise merchant who will probably end up working for Goldman Sachs.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-30/faced-with-a-vaccine-emergency-the-eu-made-an-enemy-of-everyone