You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, Liverpool lad said:

It was only the EU that was tempering the benevolence of the Tory party 

Seems legit

Yup. And with the billions borrowed to pay for this benevolence, I'm sure there won't be emergency legislation to reduce the minimum wage, lower employer pension liabilities, introduce NHS means testing etc.

I realise that "imagine the reaction if Corbyn had said this" is the most tedious cliché of the year, but allow me this one: I've seen the media uncritically repeating Johnson's "glad tidings of great joy" line, with which he drew parallels between the agreement of a trade deal that's far worse than the one we're leaving and the birth of the Saviour of Mankind.

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I realise that "imagine the reaction if Corbyn had said this" is the most tedious cliché of the year, but allow me this one: I've seen the media uncritically repeating Johnson's "glad tidings of great joy" line, with which he drew parallels between the agreement of a trade deal that's far worse than the one we're leaving and the birth of the Saviour of Mankind.

Well, perhaps if Corbyn had rescued a great British trade deal against the Hun, maybe he would have the opportunity. 

Fucking Corbyn. 

• Upvote 1

Nicked from the grun...

'Here is what Dr Richard North (a Brexiter but not no-dealer, a trade expert, and a man who thinks Johnson is a charlatan) has had to say:

"For those of us who remain anchored closer to the real world and have to analyse the detail and the consequences of this treaty, we are no further forward in our understanding of the work, other than to conclude – perhaps – that the London end seems to have very little idea of what they have agreed.

What certainly has not come over is that Brussels has secreted into the system a complex and interesting treaty, one full of subtleties which is a long way from the basic “skinny treaty” that many of us originally expected.

It is one, also, which keeps the UK closer to the EU globally-based trading system than anyone could possibly have imagined at the outset of negotiations. It is one of considerable depth which creates a framework for a relationship which, if explored by people of far more diligence than Johnson and his cronies, could eventually be turned into a useful working agreement, albeit at savage cost to the UK in the interim."

You know who the real victim of the last 5 years of political division, economic turmoil and spiking racism has been?

Sarah Vine.

Few have paid such a heavy cost for Brexit as SARAH VINE  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9088153/Brexit-divided-friends-family-paid-heavy-cost-SARAH-VINE.html?ito=native_share_article-masthead

That knee injury sounds serious, a dose of magic spray and a bandage and sent on her way.

And here I am thinking I have it tough with two herniated discs in my back and knees which my surgeon described as "fucked". 

Thankfully I've been able to muddle by through Brexit and the world being riddled with shithouse AIDS while living on about £20 per week, so I am lucky not to have to suffer the way she has. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Rule Britania.

British citizens arrested overseas through no fault of their own have no right to the government’s assistance or protection, even if they are tortured or held as diplomatic leverage against their country, the Foreign Office has said

There are a few high profile cases of this already. This government is going to do fuck all to help any of its citizens if they get into schtuck around the world because of trade.

I see the BBC are towing the gov.com line on Brexit and letting the bad news out in increments:

24th December: We have a deal! Hurrah for plucky Mr Johnson!

25th December: What a great deal this will be! 

26th December: Tesco say prices of food will only increase slightly! Fishermen 'shafted'.

27th December: Mr Gove says there will be bumps in the road

28th December: EHIC will still be available to UK  residents! But only cover leprosy, lumbago and bunions.

29th December: ERASMUS replaced with scholarships to tertiary naval colleges in British Overseas Territories only.

30th December: 5% off flights to Gibraltar! (only on Tuesdays, mandatory 10 day quarantine applies at both ends)

31st December: British employees working in the EU will need to re-sit their GCSEs and gain a baccalaureate in Proust!

1st January: Nationwide brown-outs as UK removed from Cross-channel interconnectors: Johnson flies to Brussels and will attempt to barter using remaindered copies of David Cameron's autobiography.

5 hours ago, skend04 said:

There are a few high profile cases of this already. This government is going to do fuck all to help any of its citizens if they get into schtuck around the world because of trade.

Shows you the utter contempt they hold the people of this country try in.  One day we may drop the peasant mentality and these aristotwat cunts will be told where to go.

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

But... but... That nice man said there was no threat to Erasmus!

I've done a lot of slagging of brexit voters and cunts like Johnson but I can't take the piss out of this. This is just sad and unfair, people to young to vote at the time have had opportunity after opportunity ripped from their hands and in exchange they get nothing. I haven't seen or heard 1 thing where I have thought the UK has done well here, that could benefit them, everything is shitter than before.

• Upvote 2

What would we expect from a government led by Alex.

The EU-UK Brexit deal refers to defunct decades-old computer software such as Netscape Communicator as “modern”, raising suspicions that some of the text may have been copied and pasted in.

Online commenters gleefully shared the observation that page 921 of the painfully birthed trade agreement refers to Netscape Communicator – released in June 1997 – and Mozilla Mail as being “modern e-mail software packages”.

A section on encryption technology also gave rise to suspicions that officials simply pasted large chunks of text from previous documents into the deal, which has been lauded by its backers as the beginning of a new chapter in relationship between the UK and the EU.