You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

You were confidently predicting the end of the Tories in at least 2 threads.  

It's the end of ths tories as we knew it. (Rem song in there somewhere) They expelled a lot of their own party (the sensible ones).

I suppose the ones pressing no deal will show up today.

9 minutes ago, Moo said:

With the Tories in power it was always always going to be, at best, a hard Brexit.  

It was as obvious as the nose on your face.

It really wasnt. May's deal would have been voted through if it was .. the hard right were a small minority until they hijacked the tory party...

Below is just one of the purges

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/twentyone-tory-rebels-lose-party-whip-after-backing-bid-to-block-nodeal-brexit

The hard right are still a minority and eurosceptics are still a minority. Cameron thought he was giving away nothing with a referendum. It's what happened after that gift that was the issue. Whatever, they aren't a majority now. That's the issue with this entire thing. It hit a moment in time, if it was rerun it'd be a landslide stay, the referendum was a blank chequebook type of thing that didn't define what Brexit meant. The entire thing is fucked, and we fucked ourselves - with your blessing - and we are all going to be living with the consequences. Good stuff. 

15 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It's the end of ths tories as we knew it. (Rem song in there somewhere) They expelled a lot of their own party (the sensible ones).

I suppose the ones pressing no deal will show up today.

That’s not what you were saying.  This was going to explode the Tories and herald a magical new age of JC and no EU.  

4 minutes ago, Numero said:

The hard right are still a minority and eurosceptics are still a minority. Cameron thought he was giving away nothing with a referendum. It's what happened after that gift that was the issue. Whatever, they aren't a majority now. That's the issue with this entire thing. It hit a moment in time, if it was rerun it'd be a landslide stay, the referendum was a blank chequebook type of thing that didn't define what Brexit meant. The entire thing is fucked, and we fucked ourselves - with your blessing - and we are all going to be living with the consequences. Good stuff. 

It's not quite as simple as that. My position was not that far away from Corbyn/ Starmer on brexit and the eu. 

Oh if you bizarrely criticise Corbyn in this tory/lib dem shitshow is Starmer also a tad guilty? He was opposition brexit secretary after all.

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It's not quite as simple as that. My position was not that far away from Corbyn/ Starmer on brexit and the eu. 

Oh if you bizarrely criticise Corbyn in this tory/lib dem shitshow is Starmer also a tad guilty? He was opposition brexit secretary after all.

You do realise you posted your thoughts about Brexit on here for everyone to see, don't you? 

On 09/07/2018 at 19:25, Gnasher said:

Fuck, what a bunch. The Tory party is fucked for a long time.

Well done those who had the courage to snake the political kaleidoscope and vote out. They helped destroy Cameron and Osborne and helped destroy the Tories.

Next week’s lottery numbers? 

23 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

The Tories have got an 80 seat majority. No party in the uk has ever overturned that big a majority in a single election so you’re looking at at least 9 years of this Government. Can’t see the voters caring about Brexit or Covid in 9 years time so talk of this ending the tories is just nonsense. My feeling is that the next labour PM is probably not even in the shadow cabinet yet, maybe not even an MP. We’ve got a long way to go. 

Possibly not even born.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Certainly not in the shadow cabinet. 9 years of a post Brexit government and this country will be unrecognisable. Hong Kong in the North Sea. 

Even if Hong Kong in the North Sea turns out to be a resounding success, people will vote the government out in 4 or at best (for the Conservatives) in 9 years out of shear boredom. All Labour needs to do is make sure to be there as the only other viable option. 

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Even if Hong Kong in the North Sea turns out to be a resounding success, people will vote the government out in 4 or at best (for the Conservatives) in 9 years out of shear boredom. All Labour needs to do is make sure to be there as the only other viable option. 

We're fucked aren't we. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Ok. I'm on here admitting I misjudged the flow of water, I got it wrong I'm as gutted as anyone. This is not in anyway some day of triumph for me. Dont know what to say really.

That’s fine, and I totally accept that. I respect that. Getting it wrong is part of being human. Learning from a thing after it happened is what matters. 

As for your comment regarding criticism of Starmer. I think it depends on how much policy input he had. In mid-2017, at the earliest, he was saying that Labour must accept the result of the referendum and get on with selling their vision of Brexit. Judging those comments, now with the benefit of hindsight, that looks to be absolutely right and how Labour should have done things. So the question is how much input into the shift towards an unclear policy did Starmer have. We both thought that policy was the fairest but it is clearly (with the benefit of hindsight, anyway) not a vote winner. If he was the architect of it, then he definitely deserves some criticism. If he stuck to his original position of ‘Brexit is done, argue about how we leave’ but was overruled, then not really. That’s just him being right and us being wrong. 

Thank fuck it wasn’t a No Deal, right now, in the middle of a global pandemic. Almost mind-bendingly dangerous. Only even relative crumb of comfort. Other than that, a colossal, self-perpetuated gunshot wound to our own knackers.

That the Hard Brexit mob are all bleating about this deal already is the only slight consolation. Having to listen to a gang of truly heinous cunts smugly boasting about getting what they wanted, on top of all the rest of it, would be above and beyond the call of duty.

On the flipside, this will be like Labour/Corbyn/antisemitism in that it will just go on and on and be fucking argued about forever, even by the people who were desperate for and ultimately got Brexit. Which won’t be at all tedious. ‘Get Brexit Done’ my hairy hoop.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

If you voted leave then you are a proper cunt. 

A lot of people believed the line about £350 million extra for the NHS.

I know many decent people that voted leave that regret it now.  The leave campaign cut though more than the remain one and duped people in to thinking it was the best option.

• Upvote 1