You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

The Daily Express's Joe Barnes tweets..."Senior European source tells me Boris Johnson is willing to accept that the EU hands back just 25 percent of the value of fish it catches in British waters, over a 5.5-year transition period. The UK was previously insisting on 35 percent, over three years."

Originally the UK demanded 80%, which went down to 60% and then 35%..All along the EU wanted 25%..

10 minutes ago, Moo said:

If it's bad for Tories and Guido Fawkes does that mean it's not bad (or not as bad as it could have been) for the rest of us?

No, it's going to knock a fair bit off GDP which leaving us massively weaker, with less access to markets, tarrifs, shipping problems, customer retention issues and with less protections for workers somewhere down the line.

It's poor for all concerned, but the ERG headtheballs wanted the moon on a stick and heads on a spike, they were never going to be happy even though this version, well what's been relesed, is closest to their ideal than anybody else's, it looks nothing like Johnsons original 'deal' and promises though, surprisingly.

At least sense was seen and the nuclear no deal option wasn't brought into play, perhaps this is why Dom and his ilk were booted. 

It's a long slow march to nothingness and not the instant hit, so that's about the only thing to saviour.

1 minute ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Looks like a deal is going to happen today, the £ is up so presumably all those hedge fund managers betting on a no deal disaster are having a shit Christmas. And in the same vein, all those pundits who said Boris was going for a no deal to enrich his mates in the city are going to admit they were wrong. 

Would you like to become a billionaire today or next month, they'll still get paid, just take a little longer.

13 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Looks like a deal is going to happen today, the £ is up so presumably all those hedge fund managers betting on a no deal disaster are having a shit Christmas. And in the same vein, all those pundits who said Boris was going for a no deal to enrich his mates in the city are going to admit they were wrong. 

They are still going to make a fortune. The deal looks like being a hard brexit bad arrangement. Britain would be better staying in the eu than this.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Numero said:

Yes. It’s almost as if some of us have been seeing this catastrophe coming for years.

I admit even I didnt envisage the tories fucking it up this bad. I bow to your powers of foresight 

It could have been an amicable sodt leaving but the extreme right staged a coup. As eluded to above.

Edit. If Parliament would have foreseen the last few years shit show they would have voted through May's deal, and that was a pile of shit.

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I admit even I didnt envisage the tories fucking it up this bad. I bow to your powers of foresight 

It could have been an amicable sodt leaving but the extreme right staged a coup. As eluded to above.

These Eurosceptic cunts have been well known and their selfish views well known for a long time. They’re cunts, it didn’t take foresight, just a cursory glance at who was pushing it and why. I get the dislike of the EU, but anybody thinking that Jacob Rees-Mogg and the boys were pushing Brexit for the good of people rather than at their expense are badly mistaken. 

It’s over now. It’s done. We lost and lost bad. 

The really stupid thing is that this isn't even over. There'll be talks and deals for years to come. It's what happens with trade. We'll end up back where we were at some point in time, just that it'll have cost us not just in money terms but personally too. I'm not sure how stripping your own citizens of their rights is any kind of victory.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Gnasher said:

There are a few others well above him on that list. 

I'd bet my last dollar (I ain't got any dollars) a Corbyn govt would have secured a better deal for both sides than this. 

There’s no doubt in my mind that they would have secured a way better deal. THIS IS WHY WINNING ELECTIONS IS IMPORTANT. 

Stamer, Corbyn, Miliband, Brown, Blair... doesn’t matter, they’d all have been better at making this deal. The trick is actually being in a position to do so. Corbyn was never even close to winning an election and never closer than his Tory counterpart at winning a majority. So... it’s meaningless. 

Shocked and stunned to discover this appears to be going badly for all of us and has strengthened rather than damaged the Tory party and their ability to do damage to those who can least afford it.

If you thought this was by far the most likely option all along you're definitely an EU-shagger.

25 minutes ago, Numero said:

There’s no doubt in my mind that they would have secured a way better deal. THIS IS WHY WINNING ELECTIONS IS IMPORTANT. 

Stamer, Corbyn, Miliband, Brown, Blair... doesn’t matter, they’d all have been better at making this deal. The trick is actually being in a position to do so. Corbyn was never even close to winning an election and never closer than his Tory counterpart at winning a majority. So... it’s meaningless. 

I think they were hoping on a hung parliament where they could negotiate a more logical exit.

12 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Shocked and stunned to discover this appears to be going badly for all of us and has strengthened rather than damaged the Tory party and their ability to do damage to those who can least afford it.

If you thought this was by far the most likely option all along you're definitely an EU-shagger.

I'm not sure this has strengthened the Tory party. A lot of the more sensible one nation tories been thrown out they are left with the nutters at the back of the class.

Edit . Example being Major, Heseltine, Ken Clarke etc have all voiced opposition to their own party. 

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I'm not sure this has strengthened the Tory party. A lot of the more sensible one nation tories been thrown out they are left with the nutters at the back of the class.

Edit . Example being Major, Heseltine, Ken Clarke etc have all voiced opposition to their own party. 

You were confidently predicting the end of the Tories in at least 2 threads.