You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

This is another issue. The perception of the Labour party is now that its a party of students and hippies, and people like Owen Jones, do more damage than good.  

I imagine the average Joe on the street after reading a Owen Jones article would be more likely to join the Moonies than the Labour party.

51 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I imagine the average Joe on the street after reading a Owen Jones article would be more likely to join the Moonies than the Labour party.

Let's be honest, the average Joe on the street has never read an Owen Jones article.   Unless he ever hits the front page headlines for some reason, most people will neither know who he is nor give a shit what he says.

11 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Let's be honest, the average Joe on the street has never read an Owen Jones article.   Unless he ever hits the front page headlines for some reason, most people will neither know who he is nor give a shit what he says.

He’s wheeled out quite often, I’d say a lot of people would know him.   

24 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Thank fuck for that.

This is an article on the breakdown of how UK fishing rights are currently held. 

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2018/10/11/fishing-quota-uk-defra-michael-gove/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Spoiler:

• The five largest quota-holders control more than a third of UK fishing quota
  • Four of the top five belong to families on the Sunday Times Rich List
  • The fifth is a Dutch multinational whose UK subsidiary – North Atlantic Fishing Company – controls around a quarter of England’s fishing quota
  • Around half of England’s quota is ultimately owned by Dutch, Icelandic, or Spanish interests
  • More than half (13) of the top 25 quota holders have directors, shareholders, or vessel partners who were convicted of offences in Scotland’s £63m “black fish” scam – a huge, sophisticated fraud that saw trawlermen and fish processors working together to evade quota limits and land 170,000 tonnes of undeclared herring and mackerel
  • One of the flagships of the “Brexit flotilla” – which sailed up the Thames in 2016 to demand the UK’s exit from the EU – is among the UK’s 10 biggest quota-holders
  • Around 29% of UK fishing quota is directly controlled by Rich List families. Some of these families have investments in dozens of other fishing companies, meaning companies holding 37% of UK quota are wholly or partly owned by these Rich List families.

Most small independents currently sell their catch to the EU so will also be hit by Brexit.

Jones has a million followers on Twitter, half a million between Facebook and Instagram, 150,000 on YouTube, is a successful award winning author, has a weekly column with the Guardian, having written for multiple other major news organisations and winning awards for doing so, is listed in several ‘most important’ lists, and regularly appears on daytime TV, current affairs and political programs and radio shows. I don’t think there’s much argument as to whether he is well known. How important he is to people outside of the political bubble is debatable. He is one of the most visible, well known lefties outside of Corbyn. 

I used to talk to him quite a bit a decade ago. He wasn’t like he is now. He is either acting or he has let it all go to his head. I suspect it’s a bit of both. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Numero said:

Jones has a million followers on Twitter, half a million between Facebook and Instagram, 150,000 on YouTube, is a successful award winning author, has a weekly column with the Guardian, having written for multiple other major news organisations and winning awards for doing so, is listed in several ‘most important’ lists, and regularly appears on daytime TV, current affairs and political programs and radio shows. I don’t think there’s much argument as to whether he is well known. How important he is to people outside of the political bubble is debatable. He is one of the most visible, well known lefties outside of Corbyn. 

I used to talk to him quite a bit a decade ago. He wasn’t like he is now. He is either acting or he has let it all go to his head. I suspect it’s a bit of both. 

Thinly veiled "the little twat blocked me" post 

34 minutes ago, Numero said:

I don’t think there’s much argument as to whether he is well known. How important he is to people outside of the political bubble is debatable. 

This.  If you are actively interested in politics, you'll be aware of him.  If (like the vast majority of the country) you're mostly indifferent, then you won't. 

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This.  If you are actively interested in politics, you'll be aware of him.  If (like the vast majority of the country) you're mostly indifferent, then you won't. 

I think he's probably a caricature to a lot of people, right? Like, the actively interested in politics will actually know about him, what he says, his views, etc; those without much interest will see him as a weird guy from the left, then loads who barely know who Johnson is just won't know or care who he is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

A serious question to the educated, is Owen Jones worth a small outside bet to win next years Stricktly come dancing?

All gays are good at dancing, I read it somewhere.

I'm not particularly bothered by Owen Jones one way or the other, but it is actually miraculous to get a left wing commentator on the tv whereas there are dozens of right wing harridans and cunts on speed dial on programmes ( not only news ) all day every day.

• Upvote 3

When looking up Owen Jones YouTube subscriber numbers this morning, it came up with a list of videos. I just went back to that tab and there was this video which reminded me of that w

discussion the other day about his article regarding remainers being at fault. Starmer seemed pretty clear three years ago about how it needs to be accepted and we need to focus on shaping Brexit. interesting if anybody can stand listening to this hyper-right wing madman for a few minutes.