You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

If you’ve not seen it, this is one of the most sobering things I’ve ever seen and shows how far we’ve fallen as country.

Grim.

And still many of these thick cunts still voted Tory because they wanted to Get Brexit Done and leave the EU...all because they hate Pakistanis.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I think of it like when someone runs into the road and gets run over: I curse their stupidity but I also think they deserve sympathy. 

Not when they've been told repeatedly how dangerous it is to run into the road and they do it anyway.

29 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I think of it like when someone runs into the road and gets run over: I curse their stupidity but I also think they deserve sympathy. 

To eek out a more suitable end to this once they’re squished in the road their blood squirts all over my nice white shirt, pale brown suit and tan jacket, ruining them and costing me a fortune to replace them, if I could import them from the continent any more that is.

Im then stuck in traffic for hours because of the clean up and miss my restaurant reservation, and you better believe they’ve taken a pre authorisation payment and will be charging full whack despite me not getting even so much as an amuse bouche.

Because of this the waiter doesn’t get the tip he should have, I’m generous by nature, and has to walk home because he can’t afford a taxi. His girlfriend decides to leave him that night, he lose’s his flat as he can’t afford to keep up payments without her due to the massive increase in rental prices post brexit.

My taxes go up to help pay for him and others in his situation, as do yours, if you’re fortunate in that your firm have faith they can weather the storm and don’t look to the greener fields abroad.

Meanwhile roadkill is on a lifeglug that’s racking up thousands of pounds by the hour in debt for him, he can’t pay though, he lost his job three weeks after ‘the great reclaiming of sovereignty day celebrations’ which mean all of our insurance premiums go up in the post NHS world.

My standard of living goes down as do my earnings, protections, conditions and opportunities, as do yours, as do the waiters, as do my kids and their futures...

All because a reckless, stupid, fucking bellend didn’t heed the advice to look both ways when attempting to cross the road*.

*the last bit is a laboured analogy about looking at both sides of the argument, just in case.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

To eek out a more suitable end to this once they’re squished in the road their blood squirts all over my nice white shirt, pale brown suit and tan jacket, ruining them and costing me a fortune to replace them, if I could import them from the continent any more that is.

Im then stuck in traffic for hours because of the clean up and miss my restaurant reservation, and you better believe they’ve taken a pre authorisation payment and will be charging full whack despite me not getting even so much as an amuse bouche.

Because of this the waiter doesn’t get the tip he should have, I’m generous by nature, and has to walk home because he can’t afford a taxi. His girlfriend decides to leave him that night, he lose’s his flat as he can’t afford to keep up payments without her due to the massive increase in rental prices post brexit.

My taxes go up to help pay for him and others in his situation, as do yours, if you’re fortunate in that your firm have faith they can weather the storm and don’t look to the greener fields abroad.

Meanwhile roadkill is on a lifeglug that’s racking up thousands of pounds by the hour in debt for him, he can’t pay though, he lost his job three weeks after ‘the great reclaiming of sovereignty day celebrations’ which mean all of our premiums go up in the post NHS world.

My standard of living goes down as do my earnings, protections, conditions and opportunities, as do yours, as do the waiters, as do my kids and their futures...

All because a reckless, stupid, fucking bellend didn’t heed the advice to look both ways when attempting to cross the road*.

*the last bit is a laboured analogy about looking at both sides of the argument, just in case.

d7393427be3d2fdc-.gif

Blows my mind they allow the likes of Carol Malone on TV to discuss government spending  the economic impact and costs when she has zero fucking clue what she is talking about. Comparing a countries finances to a credit card or that spending itself is just frivolous and disposable rather than maybe the money is going into things that will pay off later or for the long term benefit. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Blows my mind they allow the likes of Carol Malone on TV to discuss government spending  the economic impact and costs when she has zero fucking clue what she is talking about. Comparing a countries finances to a credit card or that spending itself is just frivolous and disposable rather than maybe the money is going into things that will pay off later or for the long term benefit. 

Yes but she says it with such confidence.

15 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Meanwhile roadkill is on a lifeglug that’s racking up thousands of pounds by the hour in debt for him, he can’t pay though, he lost his job three weeks after ‘the great reclaiming of sovereignty day celebrations’ which mean all of our insurance premiums go up in the post NHS world.

At least you’ve got the option of going back to Australia. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

"Lifeglug" rep.

The Daily Heil is having conniptions because they have (apparently) just realised that ending free movement means that freedom of movement comes to an end.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9000815/Furious-British-expats-blast-EUs-new-post-Brexit-travel-rules.html

Furious British expats have blasted post-Brexit travel rules which will prevent them from spending more than three months at a time at a holiday home in the EU

New travel restrictions will come into force on January 1 after the end of the 'standstill' transition period. 

They will mean that Britons will only be allowed to stay in a European country without a visa for a maximum of 90 days in every six month period.

EU countries are under pressure to change the rules to allow longer stays amid fears the measures will spell the end for many people's dreams of having a foreign bolthole...

City of London under threat too apparently. How much taxes do these Russian oligarchs pay for us to hide their money?

Has to be shit tonne because most the banks are relocating functions to the EU. Couldn't have seen that coming, or was it one of the things people knew about when voting for it?

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The Daily Heil is having conniptions because they have (apparently) just realised that ending free movement means that freedom of movement comes to an end.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9000815/Furious-British-expats-blast-EUs-new-post-Brexit-travel-rules.html

Furious British expats have blasted post-Brexit travel rules which will prevent them from spending more than three months at a time at a holiday home in the EU

New travel restrictions will come into force on January 1 after the end of the 'standstill' transition period. 

They will mean that Britons will only be allowed to stay in a European country without a visa for a maximum of 90 days in every six month period.

EU countries are under pressure to change the rules to allow longer stays amid fears the measures will spell the end for many people's dreams of having a foreign bolthole...

Harsh on the ones who didn't vote for Brexit but for those that did, fuck em. 

Good post from Brighton's own Atilla the Stockbroker.

"Since it seems that fishing arguments may be the straw which breaks the camel's back and condemn us to a no deal Brexit in the middle of a pandemic, it's time for some perspective from someone who grew up and lives in a port town, has been a keen fisherman since the age of five (albeit with rod and line) and has had many conversations with those who earn their living from the sea.

Fishing contributes 0.02% to our economy, and make no mistake, the arguments from the Tories - and the landlocked Daily Mail readers who wouldn'y know a weever from a megrim - are not about economics. They are clueless, uninformed nonsense based entirely on willy waving, flag shagging and socking it to Johnnny Foreigner. 99% of politicians and pub ranters haven't got a clue what they are talking about, even the ones who actually DO care about coastal communities, rather than using us as a convenient hook to hang their prejudices on.

The issues here are EU access to British waters and British access to EU markets. Unless both are sorted in a fair and equitable manner, fishing communities on both sides of the Channel will both be completely screwed. The vote farmed self-flagellators 'think' it's just about 'taking back control of our waters' and that we can just hoist a Union Jack and say 'we're doing that, like it or lump it'.

If no deal happens we can exercise control over as much of the Channel as we like, and send gunboats out to enforce it - the EU will simply deny British fishermen access to their markets, or bung so much bureauracy on that by the time the fish reaches its destination it's rancid.

British fishermen sell the vast majority of their catch to the EU.They'll be left trying to persuade us to buy and eat lots more fish. We won't, they'll be grinding down fish for fertiliser as kids go hungry to school, and they won't be able to earn a living. EU fishermen will be denied access to the grounds they have fished for generations, they won't be able to catch ENOUGH fish, and they won't be able to either.

There is a massive issue with overfishing, make no mistake, and as ever, it's corporate greed forcing out small operators. Three companies own more than two thirds of England's fishing quota. Supertrawlers should be banned by both UK and EU and clear zones established for larger operators. The vast majority of quotas should go to small, locally owned boats on both sides of the Channel, sustaining local communities AND fish stocks. And those boats should be checked out to ensure they are operating. Some corporate fishing interests are hoarding rights for boats which never cast a net.

I've watched our local fleet diminish over the years, forced out of business not by the small French boats the right wing media hold up as the problem but massive corporate operations, some UK owned, some EU owned, many farther afield. (The same big operations which have decimated stocks for we shore anglers, until the establishment of our local offshore wind farm forced them away while simultaneously creating an ideal microclimate for breeding: fishing is wonderful again now.) A true defence of our waters, fish stocks and the livelihoods of our fishermen would target big corporations of all hues rather then the bogeyman single operator sailing out of Boulogne.

But as ever, billionaire press and media owners are in cahoots with billionaire fishing interests, so the wool has been pulled over people's eyes - including, sadly, the eyes of many fishermen. Now they are realising how they've been conned.

I hope it's not too late to get a deal which benefits both the fishermen and the fish. But since the fishermen and our communities in which they live are simply propaganda tools for a hedge-fund led Brexit agenda which cares not one jot about ordinary people other than getting them to parrot xenophobic slogans I am not holding my breath..."
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Well well well who would have thought that there would be a downside to Brexit what a shame if only someone had warned them 

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Harsh on the ones who didn't vote for Brexit but for those that did, fuck em. 

I'm not even sure that people living full-time abroad had a vote in the Referendum.  This article is just pearl-clutching on behalf of people rich enough to have two homes.  If any of them voted to make their own lives worse, as you say, fuck 'em.

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm not even sure that people living full-time abroad had a vote in the Referendum.  This article is just pearl-clutching on behalf of people rich enough to have two homes.  If any of them voted to make their own lives worse, as you say, fuck 'em.

If you had been away for more than fifteen years then no.

There was the option of a postal vote for those that did qualify.

• Upvote 1

Arrogance from the usual suspects;

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/3/5/brexit-voting-expats-in-spain-wake-up-to-a-future-of-change

“If you look at the people [here] who voted for Brexit – which is quite a divisive issue round here, as you can imagine – a lot of them bought into this propaganda of ‘taking back control’.

“There was a feeling of exceptionalism, too,” Hillen says. That sentiment, she says, was based upon Britons’ argument that “we’re a valuable source of income for the local communities, so we’ll be the exception to the rule when it comes to immigrants”.

“Speaking to some of my circle who are estate agents, there’s been no drop-off in British people buying houses here, in fact, it’s the opposite.

“People are rushing to get a foothold in Spain before the transition period ends and the residence requirements become too onerous. Rather than fleeing the UK, they’re getting in here before the doors close.”

As for what the “last-minute” British newcomers and other residents may have to deal with in their daily lives, when the EU transition period finally ends and the UK is 100 percent outside the EU, Hillen believes that at grassroots level “the Spanish government is not going to bite a hand that feeds its economy too badly, so I think the anti-Brexiteers’ scenarios are not so realistic either”.

For balance;

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/eu-referendum-three-quarters-of-british-expats-back-staying-in-eu-a3269901.html

Britons living in other EU countries overwhelmingly back the UK remaining in the union, according to a new survey.

It found 72 per cent of expats on the Continent eligible and planning to vote on June 23 intend to back In.

Ninteeen per cent are Outers, with just under nine per cent still to make up their minds.

48 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Arrogance from the usual suspects;

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/3/5/brexit-voting-expats-in-spain-wake-up-to-a-future-of-change

“If you look at the people [here] who voted for Brexit – which is quite a divisive issue round here, as you can imagine – a lot of them bought into this propaganda of ‘taking back control’.

“There was a feeling of exceptionalism, too,” Hillen says. That sentiment, she says, was based upon Britons’ argument that “we’re a valuable source of income for the local communities, so we’ll be the exception to the rule when it comes to immigrants”.

“Speaking to some of my circle who are estate agents, there’s been no drop-off in British people buying houses here, in fact, it’s the opposite.

“People are rushing to get a foothold in Spain before the transition period ends and the residence requirements become too onerous. Rather than fleeing the UK, they’re getting in here before the doors close.”

As for what the “last-minute” British newcomers and other residents may have to deal with in their daily lives, when the EU transition period finally ends and the UK is 100 percent outside the EU, Hillen believes that at grassroots level “the Spanish government is not going to bite a hand that feeds its economy too badly, so I think the anti-Brexiteers’ scenarios are not so realistic either”.

For balance;

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/eu-referendum-three-quarters-of-british-expats-back-staying-in-eu-a3269901.html

Britons living in other EU countries overwhelmingly back the UK remaining in the union, according to a new survey.

It found 72 per cent of expats on the Continent eligible and planning to vote on June 23 intend to back In.

Ninteeen per cent are Outers, with just under nine per cent still to make up their minds.

You have to admire the principles of the 19%.