You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

18 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

You provided evidence that showed that living standards were improving, not as fast as hoped, but improving. If you had provided evidence that showed people were being plunged in to poverty and destitution, or even that living standards were being eroded, as a deliberate result of EU policy then you would have proven your point, but again, you don’t read, or understand, the arguments and disprove your own argument.

Its the pub bore paradox, he stands in the corner telling it ‘how it is’ without anybody listening because they see through his nonsense. This is a problem though as he starts to think he’s right because nobody argues back anymore. He’s not, they’re just bored of listening to his nonsense and ignore him.

As I am from now because I value my time more than I do your ‘conversation’.

I provided evidence that showed living standards were improving very slightly from a measure of the EUs own adject failure to look after it's own poor during a period of substantial world growth.

Now if the want to come the billy big bollocks attitude you can go wank a kangaroo.

8 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I provided evidence that showed living standards were improving very slightly from a measure of the EUs own adject failure to look after it's own poor during a period of substantial world growth.

Now if the want to come the billy big bollocks attitude you can go wank a kangaroo.

Hold on, the EU allowed those countries to join knowing they were poor. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Here is a list of all members growth, and projected, of last and next years, because you have an inability to process information I’ll just tell you what it says, all members GDP is projected to grow, the countries ‘at the bottom’ will see most growth. https://alexika.com/blog/2019/11/21/fastest-growing-european-countries-2020-2024 (This, obviously, does not factor in the effects of COVID)

The EU as a trading block is the third biggest on the planet because of collective endeavour. If, and I’m going to have to paraphrase your argument because I don’t have a degree in idiot so can’t fully follow it ‘The EU is a failure and if these countries were just on their own and the EU didn’t help them they would be better and then some hyperbolic nonsense about slavery’, is that the correct hypothesis? 

What the data above shows is that nations ‘at the bottom’ are experiencing growth in line with the IMF’s upper level and those ‘at the top’ GDP growth will slow to the lower level of expected growth (between 3.7 and 1.6%) so that shows that the gaps are closing, no? 

Thus inequality is decreasing between member states and states with smaller GDP’s within the EU will see some of the highest growth anywhere in the world. Which, again, proves your arguments demonstrably false.

Anyway, good look screaming in to the void and being proven wrong continually.

16 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Spanner you Australian tool. Dont bother boring the pants off me with your Adam Smith institute O level economic baloney.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/euro-zone-growth-likely-to-slow-to-a-crawl-over-the-next-10-years.html

Yes, it’s a global fucking trend, as it points out in your article.

Here is another article you’ll not read which shows your level of understanding of the current global economic situation  is, pretty much, 0.

https://www.fitchratings.com/research/sovereigns/further-economic-forecast-cuts-global-recession-bottoming-out-26-05-2020

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Here is another article you’ll not understand  which shows your level of understanding of the current global economic situation  is, pretty much, 0.

https://www.fitchratings.com/research/sovereigns/further-economic-forecast-cuts-global-recession-bottoming-out-26-05-2020

It disproved your quasi O level economic bollocks. I can fully comprehend that your full of fucking shit. EU growth is only growing out of stale growth to begin with, and who was responsible for that low growth? Yes even you can guess it skippy, the eu. 

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Here is another article you’ll not understand  which shows your level of understanding of the current global economic situation  is, pretty much, 0.

I will give you a lesson Skippy free of charge, A. Covid will effect growth B. You put two economists in a room they will probably come out with two different answers.

There you go, throw the Adam Smith book in the bin.

11 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It disproved your quasi O level economic bollocks. I can fully comprehend that your full of fucking shit. EU growth is only growing out of stale growth to begin with, and who was responsible for that low growth? Yes even you can guess it skippy, the eu. 

On what level did it disprove, genuinely, I’m curious? 

I have shown that EU growth has disproportionately helped the lesser developed nations within it, their growth will be almost twice that of the bigger developed nations within it, this goes against larger economic trends of retraction in the wider world. All of this has had evidence provided.

There is the argument in full.

Now, I await your detailed response. 

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I will give you a lesson Skippy free of charge, A. Covid will effect growth B. You put two economists in a room they will probably come out with two different answers.

There you go, throw the Adam Smith book in the bin.

Yes, that is in my argument and the evidence I’ve provided, as I have referenced, not sure why you’re claiming this as your own as it seems like you’re adding after the fact to deflect from being fucking wrong, again.

I’m more Keynesian, in truth. 

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I think that's a little simplistic angry. 

How would you explain it?

You agree that immigration adds to the wealth of a nation. You've also, correctly and repeatedly, stressed that that additional wealth isn't distributed fairly. Who do you blame for the unfair distribution and why?

12 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

That's fine, I'm sure the Tories will happily make up any shortfalls from the £350 million a week we'll be saving. Or was that to go directly to the NHS, can't remember now?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Allied with this...

'How will ATAD work?

The directive seeks to tackle the thriving culture of corporate tax avoidance. For example, consider the scenario in which an EU company shifts profits to a related company in a low-tax country reducing the tax paid on these profits: under ATAD, a company could still do this, but the profits will be taxable at EU rates.

Another situation is where EU businesses developing a new product move it to a low tax country to avoid paying larger taxes on the profits once it is developed. Thanks to ATAD this tactic won’t work as member states can levy tax on the product before it is moved.

Even with ATAD, you might argue companies – through their nifty lawyers – will find new loopholes to avoid tax, right? The EU thought of that: ATAD provides a general anti-abuse rule to counteract these regimes where national laws have failed to address them.

There are many other measures in ATAD which you will no doubt be inspired to research. But before you do that, you will hear people air grievances that this Directive is another example of how the EU hates business or that it is another instance of Brussels encroaching on our sovereignty.

Dealing with the first allegation, anti-tax avoidance laws are not developed to harm businesses. Their objective is to ensure companies play ball in a competitive market which means paying their fair share of tax. Flowing from this, in a globalised market, agreeing a set of rules to encourage fair trade is hardly an encroachment upon sovereignty. It is an acceptance that the world today sometimes requires countries to come together and agree on things for mutual benefit.'

Strange that there was a rush to get out before this comes in to law...

Going to be a great few years for a few whilst the rest of us pay for it in higher taxation, those of us lucky enough to have employment that is.

Making Britain great again!