You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Pete said:

That's easy to resolve. Just get a nice hand out from the EU...oh wait...

Anyway. I have sent that article to my (Conservative) MP asking for his opinion. No doubt it will be spin and bullshit but I'm intrigued into how this lot will spin this shit show ahead. 

They're probably hoping that the pandemic carries on as is and people will somehow think the inevitable fallout is linked to Coronavirus.

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

They're probably hoping that the pandemic carries on as is and people will somehow think the inevitable fallout is linked to Coronavirus.

Even if it isn't that will be the route they travel. 

Imagine how bad it would have been if we had had to have followed EU red tape to get the economy going.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/eu-launches-its-own-shock-and-awe-campaign-early/

Oh aye. Definitely worth it. 

Somebody wake me when common sense returns. 

That looks, broadly, like stuff that was well known before the Referendum, but was dismissed by lying shits like Johnson, Gove, Davis, etc. as "Project Fear".

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

What workers rights these people got?  The honest answer is the same as the veg pickers, fuck all.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/13/man-who-yelled-at-leicester-garment-worker-is-a-factory-owner

They have the right to take their employer to court for breaking the laws that are there to protect them. It's a right that all EU citizens have in every EU country.  A common theme in modern slavery is governments declaring immigrant workers "illegal", thereby arming the slavers and exploiters with the threat of deportation.  Leaving the EU gives slavers in the UK more power in this regard. 

Can you please copy and paste that Times article.

Pets

An EU pet passport issued to a pet owner resident in the United Kingdom will no longer be a valid document for travelling with pets from the UK to any of the EU member states. The requirements for pets accompanying those travelling in the future will be set by the EU.

d01db2d4-e2b0-4bfa-a503-b3b905ed6132_tex

• Upvote 1

On 31/05/2020 at 10:03, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's not just the money, though.  Harvesting is - as it always has been and always will be (because, y'know, biology) seasonal work.  By definition, this means you need a workforce that's prepared to work on a short-term contract, irrespective of whether you pay them a decent wage.  And if you have a requirement for short-term contracts in different parts of the country, that means you need a transitory workforce, whether they come from the UK or elsewhere.

As we discussed to death a while ago, thousands of people expressed an interest in the harvesting jobs, then took a closer look and decided it wasn't for them.

Oh dear,  posters defense of flying people into Britain to be exploited not exactly working out well in hindsight.

https://www.trendswide.com/coronavirus-four-workers-escape-herefordshire-vegetable-farm/

I know it sounds radical and might upset a few but these cunts with their big eu subsidies hanging out their back pocket could always,  er you know, just pay a decent living wage.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Oh dear,  posters defense of flying people into Britain to be exploited not exactly working out well in hindsight.

https://www.trendswide.com/coronavirus-four-workers-escape-herefordshire-vegetable-farm/

I know it sounds radical and might upset a few but these cunts with their big eu subsidies hanging out their back pocket could always,  er you know, just pay a decent living wage.

Do you think they're going to next year?

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

For the millionth time  - stop arguing against stuff that nobody here is arguing for and start answering direct questions. 

The Covid-19 spike in Herefordshire was caused by shitty working conditions endured by seasonal farm workers.

How does your proposal to weaken workers' rights even further improve this situation?

27 minutes ago, Numero said:

Hahaha. Not going to let him get away with posting an article he hasn’t actually read, are you? 

I am genuinely interested in reading it. I've seen a few other papers covering the same report from the NCA, but only the Times and the Express even mention the EU.  The Express, obviously, is no use, because it's a fact-free rage-rag for the hard-of-thinking. I'm hoping that "the paper of record" has given a better account of what the NCA bloke actually said.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Do you think they're going to next year?

Import cheap labour and put them into horrendous working conditions? Unfortunately probably yes. Still dosnt make the process/system right.  

I can see the advantages of free movement, that I'm not denying, it seems some people refuse to see the downside, either that or they dont care.

9 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I am genuinely interested in reading it. I've seen a few other papers covering the same report from the NCA, but only the Times and the Express even mention the EU.  The Express, obviously, is no use, because it's a fact-free rage-rag for the hard-of-thinking. I'm hoping that "the paper of record" has given a better account of what the NCA bloke actually said.

There's roughly zero chance that Gnasher pays for a subscription to the Times. He's not read it, but saw what it said in the url so posted it. Virtually no chance he is going to post it. 

7 minutes ago, Numero said:

There's roughly zero chance that Gnasher pays for a subscription to the Times. He's not read it, but saw what it said in the url so posted it. Virtually no chance he is going to post it. 

You are correct. I would rather boil my own head than pay a pound for a Rupert Murdoch paper, however they do give freebies and the main chunks of the report were widely covered in the msm and not just the Express.

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You are correct. I would rather boil my own head than pay a pound for a Rupert Murdoch paper, however they do give freebies and the main chunks of the report were widely covered in the msm and not just the Express.

I've read the main chunks. It's not about the EU. 

As far as I could find, only those two Europhobic right-wing rags mentioned the EU. 

The thing is, I've read plenty of articles and reports, watched documentaries and attended seminar sessions on the problem of modern slavery throughout the world. The consensus is always that where migrant workers have the right to live and work in the host country, they are better protected from slavery; where the government of the host country deems them illegal, they are most at risk. It follows logically that EU citizens, having the right to live and work in any EU Member State, are better protected from slavery.  Brexit removes those protections and makes many thousands more immigrant workers vulnerable to exploitation. 

In the absence of context or even a full quote, I can only guess that the NCA bloke was saying that the EU's open borders make it harder to disrupt the movement of migrant workers. Wouldn't try to disagree with that. But the emphasis on disrupting the movement of workers focuses on them, the exploited, as the problem and not the bastards who exploit them. (It's a viewpoint consistent with the politics of the Times and the Express. )

As I've said a million times, the effective and equitable way to tackle the problems of slavery and exploitation is to give workers - even migrant workers  - more rights. Leaving the EU does the opposite. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Of course I’m correct, Gnasher. It doesn’t take a genius to work it out. Got any WhatsApp groups worth pretending I’m in?

I also wouldn’t pay for Murdoch’s rags. I’m with you on that. That said, I wasn’t the one posting it and using it to back up my argument having not actually read it. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

On MSM more like. 

1 hour ago, Numero said:

Of course I’m correct, Gnasher. It doesn’t take a genius to work it out. Got any WhatsApp groups worth pretending I’m in?

I also wouldn’t pay for Murdoch’s rags. I’m with you on that. That said, I wasn’t the one posting it and using it to back up my argument having not actually read it. 

The main segments of the times article my smarm filled interweeb were all over the main stream media, the jist of the content was fairly obvious to those who refuse to get a hard on at the mere  mention of Jean Claude Junker. Of course if Angry or anyone else wants to dismiss it he can feel free to abtain it.

I dont really need to read the whole book to know Gary Barlow is full of a strange aroma of piss flavoured puss, a few segments gives me the general picture. Now why did I think of Gary Barlow when replying to you?

33 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The main segments of the times article my smarm filled interweeb were all over the main stream media, the jist of the content was fairly obvious to those who refuse to get a hard on at the mere  mention of Jean Claude Junker. Of course if Angry or anyone else wants to dismiss it he can feel free to abtain it.

Far from dismissing the reports, I read and understood them: none of them made an anti-EU case.

Now grow the fuck up. Slavery and exploitation are far too serious to be lied about and  misrepresented for the purpose of petty point scoring on a fucking forum.