You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

The chlorinated chicken thing I always think is a bit of a red herring to be honest. How many people do you know who've been to the States and ever had a problem with the food, or expressed trepidation at America's lower food standards? Usually the opposite. 

I think it's more about the use of chlorine being necessary because the treatment of livestock is below what we would consider acceptable in Europe.

How many of these people, for instance, voted to give Cameron a majority when an EU referendum was in his party's manifesto?

Less than 37%. Yay FPTP.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Less than 37%. Yay FPTP.

Didn't the Tories target a lot of Lib Dem seats in that election?  So I'd imagine there's a lot of people who voted for them in 2015 who would have had pro EU views but couldn't be arsed to look into the ramifications of what they were doing. I've heard it said that Cameron apparently only promised it because he assumed he'd be in coalition with the Lib Dems again and they'd, erm, stop him.

Clusterfuck all around. 

50 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

My freedom should allow me to join the EU as an individual.

Me Mrs is from Northern Ireland and is entitled to a Republic passport, not sure if that entitles me to one - sounds complicated, I'd like to do it though just for the Jason Bourne factor of having more than one passport. I'd keep it in a box with my watch and my gun, and no money. 

6 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Oh, pack it in you tedious blert.

As, I've told you every one of the million times you've posted that link, I'm not in any way relaxed about a vote to strip rights from workers and hand untrammeled power to the worst neoliberals and exploiters in the country.

You seem to have deliberately shifted the argument, the link states how the low paid suffer from the eu free market trade in low paid workers, you have for some strange reason decided to ignore it and talk about something different but no worries carry on, as you were.

38 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You seem to have deliberately shifted the argument, the link states how the low paid suffer from the eu free market trade in low paid workers, you have for some strange reason decided to ignore it and talk about something different but no worries carry on, as you were.

I didn't ignore it.  I'd already answered it, about a million times; most recently on page 1249.

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I didn't ignore it.  I'd already answered it, about a million times; most recently on page 1249.

No you didnt you sidestepped it

Which probably means you are non plussed about poor people getting a raw deal while the middle class prosper, but everyone to their own.

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Which probably means you are non plussed about poor people getting a raw deal while the middle class prosper, but everyone to their own.

If there’s more poor people how will they get less of a raw deal? Or is it a race to the bottom? 

Just now, Rico1304 said:

If there’s more poor people how will they get less of a raw deal? Or is it a race to the bottom? 

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

It’s probably lost back in the midst of time. But I think we asked our eurosceptic friends to name 5 measures of success which would apply 3 years after leaving.  Should be fucking easy. We could then check. On your marks...

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Without wanting to get sucked in to this neverending argument- do you not accept that leaving the EU is going to make things worse for many of the people you purport to care about? And doing so under this particularly vile government is going to be an utter disaster for them and for many others?

• Upvote 1

On 23/06/2020 at 20:14, Gnasher said:

A lot of "them" as you put it have suffered the brunt end whilst the middle and upper class have made hay. 

Report on the effects of eu policy on the poor below, it's not good reading 

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/the-labour-market-effects-of-immigration/

Still nice to see "them" being taken into consideration on here for once even if it is in the usual derogatory manner.

On 23/06/2020 at 21:40, AngryofTuebrook said:

This. Again.

A "very small impact" which falls disproportionately on lower-paid/less educated people, as a result of the anti-union policies of the kind of Tories who have been most ardently pro-Brexit.

There you go, plums. Not "sidestepped" at all. Lower paid UK workers are vulnerable to being undercut because the UK has chosen to restrict the rights of workers. 

You have still never answered how we improve things for working class people by (a) stripping workers of some of their rights; and (b) concentrating more power into the hands of the worst neoliberal extremists in over 30 years. 

I think it needs a new name.

Maybe "Queen Anne's Revenge" (nee "Concorde") as you head out to plunder the free (trade) world.

Or perhaps "Endurance" (nee "Polaris")? Something tells me it's going to be a rough trip--you're going to need resolute leadership, strong crew solidarity, and unequaled feats of navigation to get through it unscathed.

4 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

I think it needs a new name.

Maybe "Queen Anne's Revenge" (nee "Concorde") as you head out to plunder the free (trade) world.

Or perhaps "Endurance" (nee "Polaris")? Something tells me it's going to be a rough trip--you're going to need resolute leadership, strong crew solidarity, and unequaled feats of navigation to get through it unscathed.

The Bounty for when the Tories turn on him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

To spend a million pound of tax payers money painting a plane, especially in these times is a disgrace.

Apparently it’s a tanker fitted out to be a VIP jet but is on standby should one of the regular tankers break down.  It’s a quick job to rip out the seats and put the ‘real’ equipment back in.  Now, they’ll have to also strip off the £1m paint job too.  Madness.