You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Karl_b said:

As a comparison, I read that Britain has paid circa £215bn to the EU over the course of membership (47 years?). Good job Britain, you mouth-breathing fucktard of a country.

What value do you put to this perceived freedom? For these patriotic people, they’d rather be poorer financially but live in a ‘free’ nation.

24 minutes ago, aRdja said:

What value do you put to this perceived freedom? For these patriotic people, they’d rather be poorer financially but live in a ‘free’ nation.

The value of leaving the EU? £0, because it's a perception. 

16 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

The value of leaving the EU? £0, because it's a perception. 

You can’t put a price to freedom is all I’m saying. The leave voters are happy to sacrifice economic growth for it, or even the illusion of it. It is way too complex a question to put to the people.

5 hours ago, aRdja said:

We're all about to find out how true this is

I suggest that when they find out how poor we'll actually be they won't be so keen on all the 'freedom'

Farmers are going through this as we speak as it dawns on them it was all just a pack of lies

10 minutes ago, mattyq said:

We're all about to find out how true this is

I suggest that when they find out how poor we'll actually be they won't be so keen on all the 'freedom'

Farmers are going through this as we speak as it dawns on them it was all just a pack of lies

Exactly, people have been lied to and told they will be better off as a result of this- Buccaneering Britain, extra money for the NHS etc. You get the odd loon saying they'd be willing to be destitute just to get out from the Brussels yoke, but they don't realise quite how bad it will get, and how the 'elite' they're supposedly socking it to will be making out like bandits rather than sharing the pain.

Guest Pistonbroke

People have just bought into that stupid line of 'We want our freedom.' We live in a multi cultural World, one where countries trade more with each other as time goes by. Once new trading partners are sorted the UK will have to abide by a whole new set of rules, and instead of one main Union it will be spread over a host of different single Countries or smaller trading blocks. They aren't going to suddenly remove rules they make other countries adhere to just because Brits want a perceived Free country. An expensive exercise when you are more or less going to end up with the same stuff you had prior to it with fluctuating prices and other demands. The Uk are dependant on importing stuff and any future partner knows this, especially the yanks. Immigration will just come from other areas as it is one of the bartering tools countries use within trade deals. As far as the other stuff goes outside of Trade, the idiots have given the Tories Carte Blanche to strip rights and make living and working standards harder for many. 

What really pisses me off are the numpties who say 'Well we'll make our own stuff and employ our own people.' Yeah, because it will be real cheap to rebuild the infrastructure needed and to train people up in industries that have either been sold off or ignored for a generation. 

11 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Sadly, a lot of them are going to be free from having a job or the ability to move anywhere else to get one.

A lot of "them" as you put it have suffered the brunt end whilst the middle and upper class have made hay. 

Report on the effects of eu policy on the poor below, it's not good reading 

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/the-labour-market-effects-of-immigration/

Still nice to see "them" being taken into consideration on here for once even if it is in the usual derogatory manner.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

A lot of "them" as you put it have suffered the brunt end whilst the middle and upper class have made hay. 

Report on the effects of eu policy on the poor below, it's not good reading 

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/the-labour-market-effects-of-immigration/

Still nice to see "them" being taken into consideration on here for once even if it is in the usual derogatory manner.

This. Again.

A "very small impact" which falls disproportionately on lower-paid/less educated people, as a result of the anti-union policies of the kind of Tories who have been most ardently pro-Brexit.

11 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This. Again.

A "very small impact" which falls disproportionately on lower-paid/less educated people, as a result of the anti-union policies of the kind of Tories who have been most ardently pro-Brexit.

Good you're so relaxed about it. A small amount to those in dire financial circumstances could be the difference between a family heating or eating.

The poor lost out due to the eu freedom of movement whilst the overseas workers gained. That's not opinion that is a stone cold fact.

I have no gripes on immigrants earning money in this country and the search for a better life  I've done it myself the other way but you have to take into account the local population and effect some free movement has on local wages.

It's easy to be all Liz Kendall and marvel at how lovely the overseas worker prunes her rose bush and trims her lawn but the eu created a corrupt system in which the poorest suffers whilst the middle class gains. It's a busted flush.

12 hours ago, Liverpool lad said:

Can anyone sum this up?

We're all going to be much freer, so long as your definition of freedom doesn't include the freedom to live in, work in or trade with places that aren't called the UK.

• Upvote 1

Just now, cloggypop said:

Freedom to eat chlorinated chicken. 

The chlorinated chicken thing I always think is a bit of a red herring to be honest. How many people do you know who've been to the States and ever had a problem with the food, or expressed trepidation at America's lower food standards? Usually the opposite. 

I find it a bit mad that, for a country that repeatedly votes Tory, most people's concerns about leaving the EU seems to be around the fact we're going to be 'left to the mercy' of our own government, as though it's the UN pulling out of Sarajevo. 

How many of these people, for instance, voted to give Cameron a majority when an EU referendum was in his party's manifesto? 

Good you're so relaxed about it.

Oh, pack it in you tedious blert.

As, I've told you every one of the million times you've posted that link, I'm not in any way relaxed about a vote to strip rights from workers and hand untrammeled power to the worst neoliberals and exploiters in the country.

the eu created a corrupt system in which the poorest suffers whilst the middle class gains. It's a busted flush.

The EU didn't create neoliberalism.  The EU isn't even an inherently neoliberal bloc: it became that way, because the governments of Member States - first among them, successive Westminster governments - drove it in that direction.  Now we've cut free to drive even further and faster into a world of neoliberal exploitation.

Hoo-fucking-ray!

Freedom Day GIF by b2n | Gfycat

• Upvote 1