You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

No, no. Not for peace, but for war between those states. Which is what is being spoken about. Like I say, it’s one of the least convincing reasons for keeping our membership of the EU (which, like any sensible person, I would have preferred to remain). 

Maybe not for UK membership; but it's a very convincing argument for the continued existence of the EU  (contrary to the wishes of every single Fascist in Europe).

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

Maybe not for UK membership; but it's a very convincing argument for the continued existence of the EU  (contrary to the wishes of every single Fascist in Europe).

I think it - the existence of the EU -  enhances the reason to remain peaceful. I think economic alliances do a lot to discourage military action. The point I’m making here is that, when talking about military action against member states, there’s something more fundamental and a greater reason - an overriding factor - that prevents it, which is a military alliance that states that an attack against one is an attack against all. In short, if the EU went pop tomorrow night, the likelihood of these states being at war any time soon doesn’t increase. 

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I did.

No you didnt you gave a rambling answer about the reason so few people took up the farm work was because the work was seasonal now I've heard about thick lazy Brits bur to suggest the applicant's didnt realise the work was seasonal is pushing it a bit far

Or maybe my reason iwhy so few applicants took the jobs s more in keeping with the truth iin that the money offeres is not good enough for the amount of labour required.

21 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

No you didnt you gave a rambling answer about the reason so few people took up the farm work was because the work was seasonal now I've heard about thick lazy Brits bur to suggest the applicant's didnt realise the work was seasonal is pushing it a bit far

Or maybe my reason iwhy so few applicants took the jobs s more in keeping with the truth iin that the money offeres is not good enough for the amount of labour required.

Your question was "are you saying...?"

The short answer is "No".  The long "rambling answer" is there for you. 

23 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

So you're saying that the applicants were too thick to realise that it's poorly-paid hard work?

(This game is fun!)

27 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

So you're saying that the applicants were too thick to realise that it's poorly-paid hard work?

(This game is fun!)

No I'm saying the rates of pay were not correctly established, ie when you factor digs, hours etc. You seemed to imply the reason so few took up the work was because they didnt realise it was seasonal. Ie in your defence of multi millionaire land owners you made a rambling statement about the jobs being seasonal.

Go on I'll let you off the hook with your "seasonal" bollivks . Honest answer this time angry , Why do you think so few applicant's took the offer of employment? 

Honestly - I don't know; like you, I haven’t asked them.

The pay and conditions for that sort of work are shit - far too shit for anyone to want to make a career of it. Given the huge numbers who originally expressed an interest, I suspect that was done quickly, without any research and that once people found out the reality of the shit pay and conditions they decided it wasn't worth trekking halfway across the country for. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

You seemed to imply the reason so few took up the work was because they didnt realise it was seasonal. Ie in your defence of multi millionaire land owners

The shite that you make up used to annoy me; now it just amuses me.

Never change.

8 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Eh, your first sentence, the one where THE CAPS LOCKED, not true, not true at all. I cant comment on the rest of your post as I didnt bother reading it

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-29/vineyard-owner-wine-grapes-coronavirus-community-oxfordshire-barbara-laithwaite/

Fookin hell, that place is just down the road for me

I should sign up

11 minutes ago, skend04 said:

You've missed the picking season.

Think the picking season is October

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I think a lot of the 'interest' was from people who have to prove they are looking for work , but had no real interest in such shit jobs at shit rates of pay in shit conditions.

Haha, I'm sure you're right

I'd like to think the pay is better in a vineyard... they have a certain romance to them but it'd be 12 hour days for £20 and a packet of wotsits

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, mattyq said:

Bloomberg estimate that Brexit will have cost us £200 billion by the end of 2020

It remains a completely fucking stupid thing to do

As a comparison, I read that Britain has paid circa £215bn to the EU over the course of membership (47 years?). Good job Britain, you mouth-breathing fucktard of a country.