You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

16/17 year olds absolutely should be able to vote. I was serving on a warship at 17 but still couldn't vote or legally drink. 

The Tories are terrified that its not middle-aged, middle-class only allowed to vote. I fully expect the media to be awash with lies and smears about Corbyn in the next 6 weeks. 

"Corbyn is Hitlers great great grandson"

"Corbyn did 9/11"

"Corbyn drowns kittens in his bath full of beans" 

43 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Agree completely. 

It would have helped remain supporting parties immensely in this election. 

I was arguing this way before this Brexit bollocks. 

I started working in Woolworths at 15 on £2.72 an hour with a work permit and was paying income tax at 16 with no right to choose which government spent my taxes. 

I’ve argued for 16 year olds to have the right to vote since 1996. 

15 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Any reason why mate? 

I've only just got my head round the idea of women voting.

I just dont see any need to change other than for the party that feels it would benefit from a 16 year old limit. There has to be a limit somewhere and 18 seems fair enough to me.

Also, to change voting rules now, in an election that is going to be pretty much single issue will cause all sorts of problems if 16 or 17 year olds are deemed to have been the difference

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

Agree completely. 

It would have helped remain supporting parties immensely in this election. 

Don't think there was ever much chance at this late stage although I agree with it & hope it comes in eventually. Hopefully counterbalanced by the timescales being too late for the Tories to push through the ' Stop poor people voting ' identification bollocks.

2 minutes ago, A Red said:

I've only just got my head round the idea of women voting.

I just dont see any need to change other than for the party that feels it would benefit from a 16 year old limit. There has to be a limit somewhere and 18 seems fair enough to me.

Also, to change voting rules now, in an election that is going to be pretty much single issue will cause all sorts of problems if 16 or 17 year olds are deemed to have been the difference

I disagree but can see your point. 

Would you agree with legislation allowing 16 year olds the right to vote at the following GE? 

3 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I disagree but can see your point. 

Would you agree with legislation allowing 16 year olds the right to vote at the following GE? 

Probably not unless there was cross party consensus. I know you feel strongly about it but it feels to me most others would only be bothered to push it if they felt their party would benefit

3 minutes ago, A Red said:

Probably not unless there was cross party consensus. I know you feel strongly about it but it feels to me most others would only be bothered to push it if they felt their party would benefit

Isn't that the same for any moves for changes in legislation? 

4 minutes ago, A Red said:

I also feel strongly about PR and did so when it would have penalised the Labour Party when in power under Blair. 

Some things are just right whether it suits you at the time or not. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I also feel strongly about PR and did so when it would have penalised the Labour Party when in power under Blair. 

Some things are just right whether it suits you at the time or not. 

I see that in your case but most of the ones pushing for it now will never have bothered to mention the idea before.

Guest Pistonbroke

I reckon a lot of youngsters these days are more active in politics than generations past. You get loads of old people who take the likes of the Mail as gospel and in General turn into miserable bastards and blame all their woes on the obvious targets which are rammed down their throats by said media. I don't see why those who have to pay taxes, adult prices on transport/cinema etc should be excluded from voting. The Onus should be on the political parties to win their trust and vote, not hinder that. I wouldn't expect many Tories to agree with this though, their party has a long record for ignoring the younger generations in most areas. Surely if they were to allow them to vote it would change that stance and benefit the country on a whole. 

11 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

That link keeps breaking, so all I can read is the headline - "Labour should think twice..." - and the date - June: before Conference, when Labour got plenty of thinking time and came out with a policy of being the only party to offer a realistic chance of leaving with a deal (after first confirming that that's what the people want).

I know you've mentioned, once or twice, that you want to leave the EU, but what do you think of Labour’s current Brexit policy?

On 28/10/2019 at 15:05, lifetime fan said:

The SNP could only add single figure seats and risk losing being the third biggest party in Westminster. 

The libs will add seats but no where near as many as they want and risk giving the tories exactly the opposite of what they apparently so desperately want to avoid. 

A winter/Christmas election means a terrible turn out and only benefits the tories. 

Tories always vote tory. 

SNP will add seats though and take them off the Tories. The libs will take seats off the Tories. It doesn't need to be lots, the Tories don't have a majority today. If they lost 15 seats it would be enough to fuck them. 

And as for Tories only vote Tory, well with no brexit in place and farage shouting Johnson's deal is brexit it name only, I'm sure plenty of Tory voters will take their vote to the brexit party. Maybe not enough to win a seat, but enough to split a right wing vote in a constituency which may allow a labour or lib candidate to sneak through.