You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

If the extension until the 31st January is granted and a GE follows does anybody think this will resolve anything? 

The Lib Dems will be happy, as they are only interested in gaining seats, which they most certainly will, and in doing so be a major player should a coalition be needed. The Brexit party will do well, especially when the knuckle draggers start screaming for a No Deal Brexit. Obviously the two main parties will suffer and I doubt either will have enough seats to govern outright. Any election would probably have to take place early December which is not enough time for canvasing etc, it will be in affect nothing more than a second referendum on Brexit but with a vote spread about instead of just a clear yes/no option. Of course, if No Deal isn't taken off the table completely then there probably won't be an election. 

I reckon the Tories will be the biggest party but they could well have less seats than they have now. I honestly don't know how this all resolved itself if we end up back here after an election with no clear winner. 

3 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

They had it on trial in local elections, but yeah, for a GE it would have to pass as a Bill. Apparently during votes last year there was only 8 allegations of personal fraud. This ID scheme will cost about 20 million per Election. 

It’s a voter suppression scheme, init

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

How are they going to win more seats than they have now though?

They will lose a lot of remain areas such as London and Scotland, so would need to replace these and more in Leave areas?

Also, this time around Labour are more likely to go on the attack in winnable seats, rather than just circle the wagons in the Centrists' safe seats.

19 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Hypothetically, but we're talking about a party whose MPs just voted the WA through, and whose official position is to negotiate its own Brexit deal, so it's a hell of a hypothetical.

Voted the withdrawal through? That's not what I understand the second reading to be or why some of the Labour MPs voted, they aren't in favour of Johnsons deal and want a softer Brexit in certain instances. Swinson has said she will vote for the withdrawal agreement hasn't she, under certain conditions. 

Negotiate its own Brexit DEAL, or want a softer option on any referendum where the Lib Dems want/wanted No Deal on a referendum. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

I reckon the Tories will be the biggest party but they could well have less seats than they have now. I honestly don't know how this all resolved itself if we end up back here after an election with no clear winner. 

The Tories are fucked if they don't get a majority though, they won't be able to bribe the DUP anymore (although you never know with those crazy cunts). The Lib Dems surely wouldn't jump into bed with them again due to the varying stances on Brexit, it would be political suicide on their behalf. I also can't see the Tories going into a coalition with the Brexit party. If it's a hung parliament I can see labour having a better chance of forming a coalition, plus who knows, a GE might throw up a surprise labour majority, the only bullet the Tories have in their gun is the Brexit bullet. 

5 hours ago, skend04 said:

It'll end up as we are and will be another 3 wasted months and a wasted extension.

There will be a high turnover of MPs don't forget. Labour will find it difficult to get anyone as strange as Kate Hoey who won't be running on a Labour ticket. Then you have MPs stepping down and oddballs independents like Woodcock and Gapes. Flipside is the new intake of Tory MPs might be young Bill Cashes. 

Just now, Denny Crane said:

There will be a high turnover of MPs don't forget. Labour will find it difficult to get anyone as strange as Kate Hoey who won't be running on a Labour ticket. Then you have MPs stepping down and oddballs independents like Woodcock and Gapes. Flipside is the new intake of Tory MPs might be young Bill Cashes. 

Yeah, the newer Tories will be extreme in comparison to what they have now. They'll have been attracted to the party during this slide further to the right.

I heard someone say all young Conservatives politicians and those interested are bordering on psychopaths they just get better at hiding it. There is definitely some truth to that. Bercow was part of the hang Mandela mob in his youth. There is a reason why even in 2019 Tory youth clubs talk about genetics and dress up as nazis for fun. 

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

My gut feeling is the tories will walk it.

I don't see how that happens. I think they will lose seats in Scotland and I think the LibDems will take a lot of seats of them in the areas they used to be strong. If the brexit party stand, it's even harder for the Tories in those seats as it'll split the right wing vote. 

11 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

The Tories are fucked if they don't get a majority though, they won't be able to bribe the DUP anymore (although you never know with those crazy cunts). The Lib Dems surely wouldn't jump into bed with them again due to the varying stances on Brexit, it would be political suicide on their behalf. I also can't see the Tories going into a coalition with the Brexit party. If it's a hung parliament I can see labour having a better chance of forming a coalition, plus who knows, a GE might throw up a surprise labour majority, the only bullet the Tories have in their gun is the Brexit bullet. 

Yeah, I agree with you. I'm not saying I think the Tories will be able to form a government, I'm just saying I think they'll be the party with the most seats. But you do have to remember, if brexit is done, they will find a way to get the dup onside, because working with labour is not something the dup will go near, that would be like supporting SF to them. 

I think we're going to get stuck in a real no man's land. I don't think Swanson will go with the Tories, but I think she'll see supporting a Jeremy Corbyn government just as bad and of there's no single party can govern, she'll likely want to hold her seats should there be another GE as there's every chance labour would do that with a new leader. Unless labour can cobble together a majority with the SNP, greens and PC, I don't see anyone finding a way to govern. 

I don't think the brexit party will win a seat either, but they'll do enough to destroy the Tory vote.