You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

8 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Is it possible that one of the things they negotiated was for the EU to rule out an extension?

If its seen to be coming from the EU then this is a way round the Benn act and us asking for an extension?

No. The Benn Act is law.

The EU can obviously deny the extension, but they wont. However until that moment arrives, they will say that they will.

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

What happened to "The people voted to leave, we have to respect the referendum result"?

It’s completely unrelated. My post was just my view on how Corbyn could possibly use this situation to his advantage.

5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Why would the EU do that?

Because it would mean that we have 14 days to either accept their deal, leave with no deal or revoke article 50.

They know that the current set of MP's are desperate to avoid no deal, so it would significantly increase the likelihood of either accepting the deal or revoking. 

If the EU keep extending the date then they risk seeing a general election and many of the pro European Mp's being voted out of their jobs. This might be the EU's best opportunity to get us to remain. 

There's no good way out of this.

If we accept this deal or crash out with no deal we are worse off. If we call a second referendum and remain wins, it probably won't be by any more than 54%, so it doesn't really solve the issue and will just lead to the continued rise of the far right.

If we call a general election then both of the two main parties will finish with less seats than they did in 2017, so we'll end up with some form of a clusterfuck of a coalition. 

How the fuck do we ever solve this? 

19 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

It’s completely unrelated. My post was just my view on how Corbyn could possibly use this situation to his advantage.

If Corbyn goes all out for remain now, he makes it much more likely for Boris to win an election with the leave voters going over to the Tories or the Brexit party.

Even if Labour went down the revoke article 50 route the Lib dems would make up some other reason not to support them. 

39 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Is it possible that one of the things they negotiated was for the EU to rule out an extension?

If its seen to be coming from the EU then this is a way round the Benn act and us asking for an extension?

No, otherwise Johnson would have been in contempt - Padfield. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He’s holding you to account for what you’ve said, which is what people on here (often me) do to him on a near daily basis. 

FFS, it’s a completely irrelevant point. I don’t think Corbyn should do it based on the principles of democracy, but if he was a less principled man, then this would be a good opportunity for him take advantage of this situation. Am I only allowed to comment on things I’m 100% in for now? On a side note, you seem to be a lot more aggressive towards me of late, for reasons to genuinely can’t think of. If some of my posts have offended you personally, then I apologise. I really don’t want this to be an on-going thing NV.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If we accept this deal or crash out with no deal we are worse off. If we call a second referendum and remain wins, it probably won't be by any more than 54%, so it doesn't really solve the issue and will just lead to the continued rise of the far right.

If we call a general election then both of the two main parties will finish with less seats than they did in 2017, so we'll end up with some form of a clusterfuck of a coalition. 

I’d want Marsha de Cordova to vote for this deal mainly because No Deal would be catastrophic for the country, (also because democratically it’s the right thing to do IMO).

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Guest Pistonbroke

Most people I've spoken to about this who live abroad believe that May's deal (and i don't see what is going to be different about Johnson's deal apart from throwing NI under a bus) was not going to be any good for the UK people long term, it really is just Brexit in name. The fact that any deal would suit most Expats due to obvious reasons yet they are still against it should send alarm bells ringing. Personally I won't be affected either way as I have a permanent residence pass and can always adopt German residency due to my circumstances, i still feel strongly about it to want what is best for the British people, which includes a lot of family and friends over there. As it stands I can only envisage the break up of the Union if Johnson forces this through, plus break ups are rarely pretty.

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

I’ve answered that. No Deal IMO would be catastrophic.

So would this deal ... any Brexit deal is catastrophic. Brexit is catastrophic. 

I imagine Boris Johnson has said to the EU lot that they need to say no extension will happen so he can play the No-Deal hand when rightly this deal gets voted down on Saturday.