You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

If Johnson doesn't offer anything which is legally binding and acceptable then the EU are not going to accept it, they don't trust him, and who can blame them. 

Which is what he wants. He'll blame it on them and we'll crash out.

Guest Pistonbroke
12 minutes ago, M_B said:

Which is what he wants. He'll blame it on them and we'll crash out.

Parliament have and are still seeing that off. Now if Johnson still tries to force a 'No Deal' through because a deal hasn't been struck with the EU he is going against the law. 

So Johnson has offered a deal which they won't accept, so he says we're leaving on October 30th, but legally he can't take us out on October 30th and has to ask for an extension. This would be a climb down of epic proportions, which makes me think he must have some manoeuvres that he thinks he can pull - but what are they?

7 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

So Johnson has offered a deal which they won't accept, so he says we're leaving on October 30th, but legally he can't take us out on October 30th and has to ask for an extension. This would be a climb down of epic proportions, which makes me think he must have some manoeuvres that he thinks he can pull - but what are they?

I don't think he's got any, he just wants to make sure the blame for any extension goes to anyone but him.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Mudface said:

I don't think he's got any, he just wants to make sure the blame for any extension goes to anyone but him.

This, and the fact he and his team of useless arseholes still hope that the EU will blink. 

34 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I'm betting they are going to declare a state of emergency. Benn Act can then be suspended.

James Not So Cleverly was on radio this morning insisting that if there is no deal we will leave on the 31st and there will be no request to extend Art50. When asked how he’d get around the BennAct he refused to answer saying he didn’t want to alert their opponents.

I think they’re struggling.

5 minutes ago, M_B said:

I'm betting they are going to declare a state of emergency. Benn Act can then be suspended.

Would that be possible?

I have no idea about the procedures for declaring a state of emergency, but I'm guessing that you can't do it for political convenience and expect the police and army to enforce it.

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

Would that be possible?

I have no idea about the procedures for declaring a state of emergency, but I'm guessing that you can't do it for political convenience and expect the police and army to enforce it.

As I said earlier, it wouldn’t surprise me if they hadn’t discussed it informally over a few stiff whiskies. Would be very difficult to make moves in preparation which weren’t noticed, I’d imagine.

55 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Would that be possible?

I'm sure they'll try anything at this stage. The justification would be that not leaving would cause people to riot.

Flimsy I know.

Guest Pistonbroke
10 minutes ago, M_B said:

Another possibility is that he's agreed with an EU country to veto the extension. Hungary for example.

I can't see any of them putting in a Veto to any extension, the EU have been singing from the same hymn sheet from the start, despite being 27 strong. 

Guest Pistonbroke
19 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Boris's game is to purely ensure he is not to blame for the inevitable extension. He'll say his hands were tied by parliament and voters will lap up his schtick.

Regardless of how Brexit pans out. How long do you honestly think Johnson would hold onto the role of PM, especially with a cabinet of clueless cunts working along side him? 

3 and a half years to get to within weeks of the 2nd deadline without any sort of deal. Even the tory media are struggling to paint this in a positive light. 

Anyone else worried about a 'terrorist' attack or something truly massive happening in the next few weeks? Something popped into Her Majestys sherry? If anyone has got a holiday booked before the 31st then don't come back. You will regret it. 

Bob you come back though because that Brekkie is the most Brexit thing posted on here in weeks. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

3 and a half years to get to within weeks of the 2nd deadline without any sort of deal. Even the tory media are struggling to paint this in a positive light. 

Anyone else worried about a 'terrorist' attack or something truly massive happening in the next few weeks? Something popped into Her Majestys sherry? If anyone has got a holiday booked before the 31st then don't come back. You will regret it. 

Bob you come back though because that Brekkie is the most Brexit thing posted on here in weeks. 

Was thinking that myself earlier. Wouldn’t be surprised if there was some kind of “event” that coincidentally serves to take the heat off 

• Upvote 1

Dominic Cummings under fire for telling the Mail on Sunday some MP's were paid by foreign powers to bring forward the Benn Act and that the Government were going to investigate. None of which is true, but will have stirred up the Brexit nutters. 

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the just released proposal to the EU seems to be

1: Northern Ireland remains aligned to the EU for agriculture and industrial goods for four years. After that, Northern Ireland is free to leave should it wish to.

2: DUP and Northern Ireland get a sweetener to buy their support.

3: And then there is some stuff about physical custom checks away from the border, but its not that clear what those are for if Northern Ireland remains aligned.

If those are correct, then I really cant see Dublin handing over power of whether or not there is a border to Northern Ireland. Also I don't understand this from the DUP

A statement said: "The DUP has always indicated that the United Kingdom must leave the EU as one nation and in so doing that no barriers to trade are erected within the UK.

...because surely that is creating a barrier in the Irish Sea? Or is that what point 3 above is all about?

I'm confused.