You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ve just been away with a few mates and it turns out David Frost is my best mates brother in law. His view is that the EU are open to a deal and something can be done about the back stop.  But he’s annoyed that the threat of no deal has been removed.  

I don't understand why we need a threat of no deal. The EU have said they are open to replacing the backstop with something tangible, but as yet the UK has offered fuck all. Offer something that gives the same securities and surely they will agree to it.

Unless ofcourse its all bullshit and the plan is actually just to crash out. If thats the plan then I can see why they'd be annoyed cause its going to be delayed again.

The idea that Boris has a genius offer just waiting to be put to the EU, but we'll do it the very last second so they agree strikes me as likely as Everton getting their stadium built.

You can fool all the people some of the time - Boris just needs to fool them to Nov 1st.

1 minute ago, M_B said:

I don't understand why we need a threat of no deal. The EU have said they are open to replacing the backstop with something tangible, but as yet the UK has offered fuck all. Offer something that gives the same securities and surely they will agree to it.

Unless ofcourse its all bullshit and the plan is actually just to crash out. If thats the plan then I can see why they'd be annoyed cause its going to be delayed again.

The idea that Boris has a genius offer just waiting to be put to the EU, but we'll do it the very last second so they agree strikes me as likely as Everton getting their stadium built.

You can fool all the people some of the time - Boris just needs to fool them to Nov 1st.

I’m just passing it on.  He knows what he’s doing having negotiated at international level before.  

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ve just been away with a few mates and it turns out David Frost is my best mates brother in law. His view is that the EU are open to a deal and something can be done about the back stop.  But he’s annoyed that the threat of no deal has been removed.  

1 hour ago, M_B said:

Maybe they have offered something. Only they've used Lloyd Grossman to present it and nobody knows what the fuck he's saying.

8 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Judging by the details of the Bozo Backstop just released/leaked  your man Frost is a fucking imbecile.... you expect more from HM Civil Service

7 hours ago, mattyq said:

Judging by the details of the Bozo Backstop just released/leaked  your man Frost is a fucking imbecile.... you expect more from HM Civil Service

Is it not just a rehash of what's been offered before, the border away from the border, so it's still a border? 

The other thing that annoys me is all this shit "David frost gets the train to Brussels twice a week" like that is some type of hard work. How about you do what the rest of us do and go for 5 days and get some fucking work done. 2 days a week is somehow trying to get a deal. Fuck off. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Is it not just a rehash of what's been offered before, the border away from the border, so it's still a border? 

The other thing that annoys me is all this shit "David frost gets the train to Brussels twice a week" like that is some type of hard work. How about you do what the rest of us do and go for 5 days and get some fucking work done. 2 days a week is somehow trying to get a deal. Fuck off. 

Ha ha. Fucking hell. 

Yet another example of why remaining in the EU is the best option. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49884827?fbclid=IwAR38V3V8KHR6Fn4r57hOstsa4BSO40ZBA302AWJebfv-IUS0o-NKcWulBVU

New regulations to make things better for consumers and the environment, which British exporters will have to adhere to irrespective of Brexit.  (Of course, the UK will have no say in drafting any post-Brexit regulations our exporters will have to adhere to. )

29 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Yet another example of why remaining in the EU is the best option. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49884827?fbclid=IwAR38V3V8KHR6Fn4r57hOstsa4BSO40ZBA302AWJebfv-IUS0o-NKcWulBVU

New regulations to make things better for consumers and the environment, which British exporters will have to adhere to irrespective of Brexit.  (Of course, the UK will have no say in drafting any post-Brexit regulations our exporters will have to adhere to. )

Why would we want to export to the EU? We don't need them. We've got our commonwealth to export to. We'll paint the world pink again. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, M_B said:

So it looks like Boris is finally admitting they are going to throw Ireland under the bus. He has gone from 'absolutely no border checks' to 'there have to be border checks'.

It mightn't be so easy to do though. Surely if that is against the good Friday agreement, which I believe is an international treaty, then it's just not an option. 

22 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

It mightn't be so easy to do though. Surely if that is against the good Friday agreement, which I believe is an international treaty, then it's just not an option. 

It is against the Good Friday agreement. Boris, and I daresay most Brexit supporters don't care. It's the price of a no deal Brexit.

They didn’t have a workable plan after all?

What a huge turn-up for the books.

As will be the desire to paint this as everyone else just being officious/totalitarian/sneaky/lacking in optimism, patriotism and loyalty.

I think they realised some time ago Johnson’s tediously repeated 31st October, do or die, no ifs or buts etc promise would likely be broken. Everything we’re seeing now is their attempt to portray that as forced upon him in an underhand fashion by everyone else - “but look how hard he fought against it, this is exactly why we need him as PM and to come out” - ahead of the election.

2 hours ago, M_B said:

It is against the Good Friday agreement. Boris, and I daresay most Brexit supporters don't care. It's the price of a no deal Brexit.

What’s a few Irish and Northern Irish border inspection officers being blown up when there’s the opportunity to ship artisan jam to India?

Guest Pistonbroke
6 hours ago, M_B said:

If Johnson doesn't offer anything which is legally binding and acceptable then the EU are not going to accept it, they don't trust him, and who can blame them.