You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

39 minutes ago, magicrat said:

No we won't mainly because Labour want the extension . the election and then a referendum on their deal.

Regrettably they are unlikely to win the election.  

We won't get a referendum while the Tories are in power, regardless of what Labour do. As the indicative votes showed earlier in the year, the numbers aren't there, and there's no way a Tory government would voluntarily introduce one.

27 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Neither is anybody else so it'll be down to who can sort out the most stable coalition and to what ends (Referendum/Leave/Revoke).

A hung parliament is a strong possibility but I am shitting myself that the Tories get in with a working majority .

Bette that the referendum happens before the election. 

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

We won't get a referendum while the Tories are in power, regardless of what Labour do. As the indicative votes showed earlier in the year, the numbers aren't there, and there's no way a Tory government would voluntarily introduce one.

Things have moved on and I suspect if Labour backed it would go though

7 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Things have moved on and I suspect if Labour backed it would go though

Thing is, even if it did go through (and this is highly doubtful given that over 40 Tories didn't even vote last time, and it was still defeated), what would be the question? Leave or Remain would be pointless and wouldn't solve anything. May's deal vs Remain, not really possible given that the ERG crowd don't want either. That's pretty much it for a binary choice at the moment, anything with three choices (such as Remain/ May's Deal/ No Deal) would be called as unfair by one side or the other as it would split the vote. A second referendum was always a bit of a pipe dream, and I suspect something to beat Corbyn over the head with as he quite rightly recognised it as such.

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Thing is, even if it did go through (and this is highly doubtful given that over 40 Tories didn't even vote last time, and it was still defeated), what would be the question? Leave or Remain would be pointless and wouldn't solve anything. May's deal vs Remain, not really possible given that the ERG crowd don't want either. That's pretty much it for a binary choice at the moment, anything with three choices (such as Remain/ May's Deal/ No Deal) would be called as unfair by one side or the other as it would split the vote. A second referendum was always a bit of a pipe dream, and I suspect something to beat Corbyn over the head with as he quite rightly recognised it as such.

Binary choice Remain v Leave. If choosing Leave indicate preference Deal/No Deal. Leave preference only comes into play if Leave wins.

9 minutes ago, SilverSong said:

Binary choice Remain v Leave. If choosing Leave indicate preference Deal/No Deal. Leave preference only comes into play if Leave wins.

Nah- the consequences of the leave options would need to be communicated clearly- as per the last referendum, they won't be.

Plus there would need to be a threshold or we could potentially crash out on a 51% leave vote with 51% no deal, i.e. something just over 25% of the voters want would lead to a catastrophic exit.

9 minutes ago, Mudface said:

A second referendum is a strong possibility not a pipe dream.  Corbyn has been driven kicking and screaming to back it . Had he supported it when the idea took  root over a year ago then it would happened by now . He is not an innocent bystander in the Brexit debacle whether you agree with him or not. None of them are despite the fact the odious cunts in the Tory party initiated the whole fucking mess.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, magicrat said:

A second referendum is a strong possibility not a pipe dream.  Corbyn has been driven kicking and screaming to back it . Had he supported it when the idea took  root over a year ago then it would happened by now . He is not an innocent bystander in the Brexit debacle whether you agree with him or not. None of them are despite the fact the odious cunts in the Tory party initiated the whole fucking mess.

It would have happened by now, and strong indications are that we would either have voted to leave with Theresa’s wank deal, if that was on the ballot, or no deal. An exercise in futility. Labour’s way is the only way 

10 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Hes not an innocent bystander. He is probably the only reason we haven’t left yet and still have a chance to get out of this with a feasible solution 

• Upvote 1

Just now, moof said:

It would have happened by now, and strong indications are that we would either have voted to leave with Theresa’s wank deal, if that was on the ballot, or no deal. An exercise in futility. Labour’s way is the only way 

Lets agree to disagree because we don't know. Polls at the time I think showed Remain a clear fav over Mays deal

23 minutes ago, magicrat said:

If you remember the indicative votes , Corbyn supported most of the remain offerings and actually introduced a 3 line whip on the ones that came closest to success  but none got a majority , so I think your comments are unfair.

I think if the various opposition parties had realised quite how bad the situation was going to subsequently get I think more accommodation would have been made at that point.

Its Labours fault that the tories have spent over 3 years making a fucking pigs-ear of one of the most ridiculous political decisions ever. Yeah ok. Fucking self-serving, lying hollering cunt buckets. I fucking hate them and hope they all get blown up one by one. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
13 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Irony of saying proroguing was not about Brexit but his entire speech about the ruling was entirely about Brexit, playing to the gallery and only mentioned the ruling once, to say he disagreed with it. 

He's shit at everything, even lying.