You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

9 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If its Corbyn's decision to step down and he endorses a new candidate then it'll be fine. Even his most hardcore fans must realise that he can't go on for ever?

It'd be interesting to see if and how many peoples views have changed in the three and a bit years since the JC thread with poll was started. Giver or take a fraction, the poll currently stands around  65% Yes 35% No

I actually think the Tories are glad JC is still the leader of the LP. They'd shit a brick if he were replaced with someone else.

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

"Protecting the European way of life" 

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/ursula-von-der-leyen-european-commission-protecting-our-way-of-life-migration-and-security/

What is this shit? Protected from what?  Africans? South Americans? Asians? Our good ol European values?

What must we be protected from by this stupid cunt from the EU?

She should have had this playing in the background when she gave her no one is as good as a European speech, she might have been forgiven 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

"Boris Johnson has told government officials to explore the possibility of building a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland." Channel 4 news.

ladies and gentlemen, we are now in Trumpland. 

Daft as fuck but ok, anyway what about the Irish Border? 

Wasn't the bridge idea mooted earlier this year or last year? Besides, we all know Johnson's record where bridges are concerned.

At the time it was dismissed as being technically impossible from an engineering point of view because of the depth of the sea between the two land masses

• Upvote 1

The conversation always comes back to “Corbyn should step down” but not one person has offered up a reasonable replacement i.e someone with the authenticity, the politics and the backing of a genuine grassroots movement. It’s just fantasy politics 

Yes there are flaws but overall he’s doing a fine job. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Boss said:

If Corbyn loses the next election what's the consensus from his supporters? Should he still be backed or should someone else take over?

No idea what anyone else thinks, but if (God forbid) the Tories win power for a further 5 years, then I suspect he would stand down to allow the party to elect a new leader young enough to win an election and  form a government in 2024.

• Upvote 1

God forbid, indeed, because, it's doubtful there'd be actually anything left in 2024. The NHS would be a distant memory. There'd be thousands more homeless and sleeping on the streets. Tens of thousands of jobs lost and an explosion of zero hours contracts and no workers' rights for those who still have one. A huge surge in suicides among  the unemployed as they're told to live on £20 a month on universal credit.

The country will be on its fucking knees.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, moof said:

The conversation always comes back to “Corbyn should step down” but not one person has offered up a reasonable replacement i.e someone with the authenticity, the politics and the backing of a genuine grassroots movement. It’s just fantasy politics 

Yes there are flaws but overall he’s doing a fine job. 

Starmer and Thornbury to name but two.

The problem you've touched on though is many are loyal to Corbyn but not Labour, many who are in Labour or have been for some time don't like Corbyn. One man and grassroots support can't win an election. Many of the internal mechanisms that made Labour capable of winning an election have been eroded badly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I seen that too. I actually felt sorry for him the longer he went on and I just don't think he's the person to lead Labour into the next GE. After that last night I'd bet some of those on the benches with him were thinking the same.

I felt sorry for him too, but at times he came across as a dithering old man. 

54 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

TBH, I wouldn't recognise 90% of Labour MPs if they passed me in the street. Because of the role AB plays in northern politics I probably see and hear more of him than anyone else. When he do hear him, he gets my attention and I like the way he comes across.

I remember back when Neil Kinnock was leader of the Labour party and the Tories were in a bit of a mess in the last year or so of Thatcher's leadership. They replaced her with John Major and Kinnock later said something along the lines of, 'as soon a they replaced her, I knew any chance we had of winning the next GE had gone'.

I know some people have a dying allegiance to JC but for the sake of today's Labour party, I think they would benefit massively from a change of leader. 

Burnham isn't even an MP anymore though is he, so he's out of the picture for a period of time. I genuinely don't know who the best option is. At times I've liked starmer over the last couple of years, but at times I think he's been pretty weak though.

I do feel pretty certain though labour have a better chance of winning an election without Corbyn, but we just have to hope he's able to have as good a campaign as last time and Johnson is as bad at campaigning as May. 

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Starmer and Thornbury to name but two.

The problem you've touched on though is many are loyal to Corbyn but not Labour, many who are in Labour or have been for some time don't like Corbyn. One man and grassroots support can't win an election. Many of the internal mechanisms that made Labour capable of winning an election have been eroded badly.

I disagree. People are loyal to Corbyn so far as they support his politics, which are radically different to anything labour has offered up in decades - and, honestly, radically different to anyone proposed to take his job. As for these internal mechanisms that will win an election... well, we could go back to the days of tepid marginal “centre” politics but what a fucking shame that would be when we have a golden opportunity to complete change the direction of this country 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I felt sorry for him too, but at times he came across as a dithering old man. 

Burnham isn't even an MP anymore though is he, so he's out of the picture for a period of time. I genuinely don't know who the best option is. At times I've liked starmer over the last couple of years, but at times I think he's been pretty weak though.

I do feel pretty certain though labour have a better chance of winning an election without Corbyn, but we just have to hope he's able to have as good a campaign as last time and Johnson is as bad at campaigning as May. 

Yeah your right. He's mayor of Greater Manchester. He must have something about him though if the Mancs are happy to have a Scouser on board.

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The problem you've touched on though is many are loyal to Corbyn but not Labour, 

Nah. It was Momentum and hardcore "Corbynistas" on the doorsteps and on the phones who delivered victories in 2017 even for MPs who despised them, because they know that any Labour government is preferable to a Tory one.