You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Fading fast.

11:31 pm · 9 Sep 2019TweetDeck

Actually oddly satisfying watching Johnson just sit there and deflate. Fuck it's actually making me feel a bit more upbeat.

11:53 pm · 9 Sep 2019TweetDeck

Incredible. He's gone, man. Only the body is left behind.

12:04 am · 10 Sep 2019TweetDeck

28 minutes ago, Boss said:

It's all lies. This is what they'll campaign for in the next general election and every word of it is nonsense. If they gain power in a majority they will reverse article 50 and there won't be a confirmatory referendum. This is the point i'm making - in relation to Lifey's earlier point about Johnson being a liar. They are ALL liars.

How long do you think they would last in power if they just withdrew article 50?

17 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

To be honest mate I don’t think that speech would have been at all popular, at least not with the government. I give any Tory a modicum of kudos for that at the moment. In any case, it comes to something when figures like that are making markedly thoughtful, statesmanlike and adult points relative to the front bench.

Cash is fucking heinous. You can hear the groans every time he stands up to deliver the exact same speech yet again.

Well maybe it wouldn't be popular, but then unless you've got some brexit no deal hard on, it's not popular on the government benches. As you say though he was statesman like, which is increasingly unusual on that side of the house. 

2 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

It's a shift from "We're going back to the people, because we trust an informed electorate" to "We're going to ignore what half the people voted for, because we know best".

I think it's a tactical error.  Time will tell. 

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's a shift from "We're going back to the people, because we trust an informed electorate" to "We're going to ignore what half the people voted for, because we know best".

I think it's a tactical error.  Time will tell. 

The thing is, a general election is going back to the people. Nothing undemocratic about saying you'll revoke A50 if you win a majority. This is a parliamentary democracy after all.

7 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

The thing is, a general election is going back to the people. Nothing undemocratic about saying you'll revoke A50 if you win a majority. This is a parliamentary democracy after all.

Revoking article 50 isn't going to make Brexit go away. The Brexit party will continue to campaign to invoke it again and the country will continue to suffer the same shit for years.

A deal involving a customs union with or without a referendum is the only real way forward, but the Tories need to be binned for that to happen.

18 hours ago, Boss said:

No deal is the only logical version of Brexit available. May's deal is perpetual servitude to the EU. Call it on. Leave with no deal or vote for Labour and Corbyn and reverse article 50.

Let's not kid ourselves about going back to the EU and them giving us a favourable deal, or the other side respecting the referendum and pushing for a second referendum. These are the cards on the table.

"No deal" in itself is an inaccurate phrase. There isn't a deal on offer, there is a temporary agreement available until the UK and the EU can agree a deal like adults over the next few years (or weeks considering it will be the easiest deal ever agreed). 

When the actual talks on the deal start the UK will now be negotiating with Phil Hogan who has been appointed Trade Commissioner for the EU. Hogan is Irish which is yet another show of strength from the EU in protecting Ireland from the bullying Tory tactics that have been on display for 1000 years. The same Brexit negotiating team will also be in place, the UK will no doubt be sending the next lot of underprepared civil servants in shortly to have their arsed handed to them yet again.

To me it looks like one of the following, either Arlene is getting fucked under a bus, article 50 gets revoked or a Labour will be negotiating a withdrawal agreement and future trade deal with the EU.

2 hours ago, No2 said:

"No deal" in itself is an inaccurate phrase. There isn't a deal on offer, there is a temporary agreement available until the UK and the EU can agree a deal like adults over the next few years (or weeks considering it will be the easiest deal ever agreed). 

When the actual talks on the deal start the UK will now be negotiating with Phil Hogan who has been appointed Trade Commissioner for the EU. Hogan is Irish which is yet another show of strength from the EU in protecting Ireland from the bullying Tory tactics that have been on display for 1000 years. The same Brexit negotiating team will also be in place, the UK will no doubt be sending the next lot of underprepared civil servants in shortly to have their arsed handed to them yet again.

To me it looks like one of the following, either Arlene is getting fucked under a bus, article 50 gets revoked or a Labour will be negotiating a withdrawal agreement and future trade deal with the EU.

I think the only possible outcome is no deal - from the Brexit side. Boris has reportedly told the EU that he'll accept May's deal without the backstop, and they've refused. It's either no deal or Labour winning a majority and revoking article 50. I don't see any other outcome. The house is not going to vote through May's deal. As you say though, the plan from the Tory side is to ditch the DUP. They've been an expensive encumbrance to them.

I think this withdrawal agreement and future trade deal Labour will agree with the EU is simply lies to peddle during the election campaign to try and sway some Brexit voters into voting Labour, but that's just my personal belief.

7 hours ago, M_B said:

Revoking article 50 isn't going to make Brexit go away. The Brexit party will continue to campaign to invoke it again and the country will continue to suffer the same shit for years.

A deal involving a customs union with or without a referendum is the only real way forward, but the Tories need to be binned for that to happen.

That's actually the worst outcome. Staying in the Customs Union would mean we'd have to adopt their external tariffs for non-EU trade. We'd presumably be leaving the single market in this scenario, so essentially we'd have no free trade with the EU and high tariffs with everybody else. We'd be much better off staying in both. You either stay in both, or leave both. There's no halfway house.

32 minutes ago, Boss said:

That's actually the worst outcome. Staying in the Customs Union would mean we'd have to adopt their external tariffs for non-EU trade. We'd presumably be leaving the single market in this scenario, so essentially we'd have no free trade with the EU and high tariffs with everybody else. We'd be much better off staying in both. You either stay in both, or leave both. There's no halfway house.

The problem is Ireland. If we assume nobody wants a border then we have to align prices and adhere to regulations on goods. We cant stay in the Single Market (I think) because we won't be accepting freedom of movement so the only option left is a Customs Union (again I think - need to read up on Turkey\Swiss\Norway\Canada models). Either way we need some form of alignment right?

Unless of course Johnson throws Ireland under the bus by putting the border in the Irish Sea. But then Scotland will want the same.

Johnson says he won't erect a border on a no deal, but there will be no other choice. If there were a technological solution we'd have heard it by now. And if a land border happens, the democrats have already stated they will attempt to block a US trade deal with the UK.

How are you going to solve the Irish border problem Boss? I'm not being confrontational. I am genuinely interested to know.

15 minutes ago, M_B said:

The problem is Ireland. If we assume nobody wants a border then we have to align prices and adhere to regulations on goods. We cant stay in the Single Market (I think) because we won't be accepting freedom of movement so the only option left is a Customs Union (again I think - need to read up on Turkey\Swiss\Norway\Canada models). Either way we need some form of alignment right?

Unless of course Johnson throws Ireland under the bus by putting the border in the Irish Sea. But then Scotland will want the same.

Johnson says he won't erect a border on a no deal, but there will be no other choice. If there were a technological solution we'd have heard it by now. And if a land border happens, the democrats have already stated they will attempt to block a US trade deal with the UK.

How are you going to solve the Irish border problem Boss? I'm not being confrontational. I am genuinely interested to know.

Paul McCartney solved the problem years ago

R-8190040-1456826671-5517.jpeg.jpg

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, M_B said:

Johnson was talking about it the other day in Ireland. He was saying that there will be no hard border. That they've already got technological solutions in place to deal with it. Whether he can be taken on his word or not is up to you to decide. I don't think he can. There's been some leaked cables that suggest there will be a border, and he said that even if a hard border is re-introduced 95% of goods would pass through the border without checks.

I don't see how they can have no border. It doesn't make sense to me. There has to be a physical border.

16 minutes ago, Boss said:

I don't see how they can have no border. It doesn't make sense to me. There has to be a physical border.

Would you accept a form of alignment on goods and services (whatever shape that takes, but excluding freedom of movement) and the consequent restrictions on trade with other countries in order not to have a border?

I don't see how there can be a Brexit without a hard-border. Where are these technological precedents they are talking about? Why isn't he talking us through the technology especially when its kicking off like last night in Derry. I wouldn't even be surprised if that bomb was a British plant to muster British support towards moving to a hard border. Its unlikely but you wouldn't put it past this government especially given past things the Tories lied about regarding N.I. 

Brexit is one massive load of bollocks. I bet its a huge smokescreen because the Queen has been caught getting it up the Gary from her Corgies or something. 

Well, well! Microphones had been set up outside No. 10 in preparation for the DUP contingent to speak to the media after their meeting with Johnson, but Foster, Dodds have just walked out the door and down the street totally ignoring the mics and the media. I can only presume that they've not had good news, as otherwise, Foster would not hesitate to go and crow about her wonderful negotiating skills.