You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Champions of Europe said:

Well this is politics so expect some strange twists and turns. Johnson may believe he has them right where he wants them, but there are some pretty decent politicians on the other side and they may be luring him into a trap. This is why I said it would be an interesting week.

Absolutely. I can't imagine Bercow stands aside without imparting his own twist on proceedings. As you say, it's certainly going to be an interesting week.

18 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I can't wait for the poorest parts of the country who'd never vote for the tories to vote for the Brexit party, to prop up the tories, to crash out of Europe without a deal and put the tories in sole charge of their future.

Maybe they won't know what they're voting for? 

It's typical tories though, potentially tying Brexit to another 5 years of them with a decent enough majority to really get on with the destruction of the poor. All in the name of austerity, I mean Brexit. 

Targeting labour constituencies where there is a large leave vote, the tories could not contest and see if a Brexit candidate could take it from Labour. In that scenario the Brexit Party could theoretically gain a decent number of seats if the boffins are right. 

But shit, 5 more years of the tories with a decent majority. God help us. 

Can't see the Tories ever agreeing to not stand in any constituencies , could possibly offer potential cabinet posts to the likes of Farage in return for Brexit Party not standing , but with over 600 Brexit party candidates already chosen and no guarantee of Tory success this would be a hard sell.

Don't like this recent thing , started by May , where the Tories basically get themselves a free Party political broadcast by parking the lectern outside No.10 when there is actually nothing of any real relevance to the country to impart , simply internal shenanigans. Should be limited to announcing elections / resignations etc.

• Upvote 2

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/02/jacob-rees-mogg-doctor-shameful-no-deal-drug-concerns

Fucking hell. An actual consultant neurologist who worked on scenario planning in the event of a no-deal Brexit, and a fucking disaster capitalist CUNT is sneering down his nose at his very real concerns, smug in the thought that new advice is being written by true believers who'll ram it down the throats of fucking idiot sheep who'll sleepwalk into backing it.

There aren't words in the language that describe the utter, utter contempt I hold for the vermin that is the Tory party. They have completely, utterly and entirely fucked this country. I hope they all fucking burn in fucking hell, the fucking cunts.

• Upvote 1

Targeting labour constituencies where there is a large leave vote, the tories could not contest and see if a Brexit candidate could take it from Labour. In that scenario the Brexit Party could theoretically gain a decent number of seats if the boffins are right. 

But shit, 5 more years of the tories with a decent majority. God help us. 

I'm not convinced that the Brexit Party would win a single one of those constituencies.  They did alright in the EU elections, partly because of Proportional Representation, partly because of low turnouts and partly because nobody takes those elections seriously and they're happy to use them as a protest vote.

In a general election, hardly anybody would vote for a party with no manifesto  - and if those sick fuckers produced a manifesto, it would not be pretty.

13 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Just 5 years ago, only 11% considered the EU as a very important political issue.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/economy-immigration-and-healthcare-are-britons-top-three-issues-deciding-general-election-vote

It's mad how quickly it has become a fundamental dividing line; one that provokes the worst accusations and insults from both sides and a seemingly complete inability and unwillingness for people to find common ground. 

I've been thinking a bit more about the way in which a minor concern has become a hill that people will die on.  The way working class people have allowed themselves to be so comprehensively divided is every Tory’s wet dream.

We are long past the point where we need to find common ground on the important stuff, kick the fucking Tories out and then decide what we want to do about EU membership. 

15 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm not convinced that the Brexit Party would win a single one of those constituencies.  They did alright in the EU elections, partly because of Proportional Representation, partly because of low turnouts and partly because nobody takes those elections seriously and they're happy to use them as a protest vote.

In a general election, hardly anybody would vote for a party with no manifesto  - and if those sick fuckers produced a manifesto, it would not be pretty.

Maybe not, but the Brexit Party will come in to play in some areas and that will cost parties votes. The Brexit party wants to leave, as does the conservative party. it would not be beyond the realms of possibility some tactics being used. 

It's not just Blair that believes labour could suffer in a general election. Polls have been very wrong before of course. 

16 minutes ago, Manny said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/02/jacob-rees-mogg-doctor-shameful-no-deal-drug-concerns

Fucking hell. An actual consultant neurologist who worked on scenario planning in the event of a no-deal Brexit, and a fucking disaster capitalist CUNT is sneering down his nose at his very real concerns, smug in the thought that new advice is being written by true believers who'll ram it down the throats of fucking idiot sheep who'll sleepwalk into backing it.

There aren't words in the language that describe the utter, utter contempt I hold for the vermin that is the Tory party. They have completely, utterly and entirely fucked this country. I hope they all fucking burn in fucking hell, the fucking cunts.

Take it you won't be voting Conservative in the next election mate? 

20 minutes ago, skend04 said:

It's only masterful if you're fucking stupid. 37% of the public are unfortunately.

Discounting the fact that some people equate 'masterful' with 'he triggers the snowflake libtards', it's increasingly clear that Johnson has screwed up royally (pun unintended). This tweet sums up the bind he finds himself in:

And even if he does get an election, he has to maintain the pretense that he wants a deal which means The Brexit Party is not going away. Everything Johnson has done was predicated on keeping Farage and co inside the tent. He can't square that with maintaining the illusion that he seriously wants to make a deal with the EU. The nature of the electoral system means that it would be foolish to predict how an election would pan out, but all of this is only masterful if you think the chaos is an end in itself. I guess that makes Vladimir Putin the masterful one.

12 hours ago, Champions of Europe said:

Maybe not, but the Brexit Party will come in to play in some areas and that will cost parties votes. The Brexit party wants to leave, as does the conservative party. it would not be beyond the realms of possibility some tactics being used. 

It's not just Blair that believes labour could suffer in a general election. Polls have been very wrong before of course. 

The Brexit Party may be able to garner some leave votes in Labour areas but not enough to win any seats from Labour (imo).

The big thing for me is for the Labour Party not to let this GE become a proxy second referendum, and hammer home that the Tories are destroying this country Bexit or not. The NHS, education, foodbanks, universal credit, austerity, these are the issues that will win Labour seats.

• Upvote 7

The only circumstances where the Tories will have a pact with The Brexit Party is if the former completely capitulates to the latter. There's a chance it will happen. Johnson may find himself with no other options, and I don't think it will repel many Tories. The party membership has already been purged of any trace of One Nation Toryism and the process is gathering pace at the upper echelons of the party (see: Greening, Justine). The problem is that that such a response would galvanise any Remain electoral efforts. The Tories can forget about their 13 seats in Scotland, for example. It might work, but it would all be in the lap of the electoral gods. The election campaign would be... an interesting time.

1 hour ago, Jenson said:

The big thing for me is for the Labour Party not to let this GE become a proxy second referendum, and hammer home that the Tories are destroying this country Bexit or not. The NHS, education, foodbanks, universal credit, austerity, these are the issues that will win Labour seats.

Or, as someone on Facebook put it...

Johnson is chasing the votes of the 62%

Swinson is chasing the votes of the 48%

Corbyn is chasing the votes of the 99%

That's the way they have to play it.

• Upvote 1