You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Apparently, Gordon Brown has addressed a conference and said that the EU will, at some time next week, approach the UK government and suggest that the default exit date of 31st October should be suspended/removed. 

This would put the focus back on Johnson and would change the entire context of an automatic 'falling out" on the 31st from an unavoidable default position to a position that Johnson et al had actively accepted. 

A clever tactic? Stops Johnson from blaming the EU if there's a no deal exit on the 31st as he had other options. 

When they agreed to the last extension Tusk explicitly stated the EU would never force the UK to leave, and that if the latter left with No Deal it not only would but must be of their own volition.

This would be in keeping with that, so I wouldn’t be surprised.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
23 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Apparently, Gordon Brown has addressed a conference and said that the EU will, at some time next week, approach the UK government and suggest that the default exit date of 31st October should be suspended/removed. 

This would put the focus back on Johnson and would change the entire context of an automatic 'falling out" on the 31st from an unavoidable default position to a position that Johnson et al had actively accepted. 

A clever tactic? Stops Johnson from blaming the EU if there's a no deal exit on the 31st as he had other options. 

That's been on the cards and would tie in with what i was told earlier in the year, that Brexit would not be happening on March 31st so to save my money on applying for German Nationality. I was more or less told, that if at all it would be a year or more later. So far they have been pretty much spot on. 

No doubt the leave supporters will say it's the EU softening or trying to keep the UK in as long as possible, but that just isn't the case. They have been the only side approaching this as adults and thinking about the consequences for all concerned. Many think the EU will crumble if the UK leave, but that won't happen. Far too much invested and massive deals in place. Of course they will be hit financially, but whatever they have to suffer you can quadruple that at the minimum for the financial hit the UK will face. Plus as in any walk of life, it is far easier for a bunch of people to cover the cost of something than an individual. The EU have proven over the last few years that they are way more competent than their UK counterparts. You would think that would have alarm bells ringing for leave voters, but hey ho. 

Real game of cunt chess this, now there's rumours of Europe extending the date for us to leave therefore blowing Johnson's 31st October plans out of the water. 

At this point I have no idea where parliamentary procedure and the constitution begins or ends, so if you do then go for it. 

If you had any doubts about Europe being a Tory war. John Major is involved in a court case against the government's decision to prorogue. In 1993 Mogg senior brought a court case against the John Major government over Europe. Now Major is involved in one against Rees Mogg. 

https://www.ft.com/content/2ab6e278-8c39-11e8-b18d-0181731a0340

2 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

If you had any doubts about Europe being a Tory war. John Major is involved in a court case against the government's decision to prorogue. In 1993 Mogg senior brought a court case against the John Major government over Europe. 

https://www.ft.com/content/2ab6e278-8c39-11e8-b18d-0181731a0340

Isn't it great that it effects the whole country, though! Truly one-nation Conservatism.

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

That's been on the cards and would tie in with what i was told earlier in the year, that Brexit would not be happening on March 31st so to save my money on applying for German Nationality. I was more or less told, that if at all it would be a year or more later. So far they have been pretty much spot on. 

No doubt the leave supporters will say it's the EU softening or trying to keep the UK in as long as possible, but that just isn't the case. They have been the only side approaching this as adults and thinking about the consequences for all concerned. Many think the EU will crumble if the UK leave, but that won't happen. Far too much invested and massive deals in place. Of course they will be hit financially, but whatever they have to suffer you can quadruple that at the minimum for the financial hit the UK will face. Plus as in any walk of life, it is far easier for a bunch of people to cover the cost of something than an individual. The EU have proven over the last few years that they are way more competent than their UK counterparts. You would think that would have alarm bells ringing for leave voters, but hey ho. 

I get the impression that the EU is willing to let the UK faff around while it makes its own preparations and mitigates the possible damage caused to its remaining members. Meanwhile, our dickhead government spends most of its time and energy on posturing and political manoeuvring to shore up its vote with the gammons. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, Mudface said:

I get the impression that the EU is willing to let the UK faff around while it makes its own preparations and mitigates the possible damage caused to its remaining members. Meanwhile, our dickhead government spends most of its time and energy on posturing and political manoeuvring to shore up its vote with the gammons. 

Seems that way. I feel so sorry for the decent folk in the UK as you are being sent down a white rapid run in a child's rubber ring without a paddle. They aren't thinking about what is best for the country but what is best for themselves and their buddies. The EU isn't perfect, I dare say you'd be hard pushed to find anybody who thinks it is, but compared to how the Uk has been run since I was a kid in the 60's they certainly approach things in a more professional and mature way. 

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/29/then-and-now-what-senior-tories-say-about-proroguing-parliament?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Shameless lying twats. Good to see the only politician being scrutinised is Jeremy Corbyn as ever. lol.

The headline in the Mail yesterday was fantastic ignoring Johnson's tricks completely and going with  , Corbyn causes anger over efforts to involve the queen. 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

The EU will take a small, short term, hit. The UK will fall off a cliff.

Across the whole EU economy you are dead right. What the Tories are hoping for are countries whose trade with us will be more crucial like Germany, the Netherlands and Ireland will crumble. I think they're completely misjudging that. I feel sorry for the people of the EU who will get hit from the shitstorm we are trying to drop on them. 

Guest Pistonbroke
9 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

The Netherlands are trying to mitigate any trade losses by encouraging companies to move here. It's going pretty well so far. 

Same as Germany, many companies seeing it as their top choice. I believe over 100 companies from the UK alone have registered in Holland already. Germany have also had a load, along with France, Belgium and Ireland. The Japanese companies (others will also be looking into things) are looking at setting up in Holland and Germany. 

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Same as Germany, many companies seeing it as their top choice. I believe over 100 companies from the UK alone have registered in Holland already. Germany have also had a load, along with France, Belgium and Ireland. The Japanese companies (others will also be looking into things) are looking at setting up in Holland and Germany. 

Germany should do well out of the banking sector. The Dutch like to tax bankers. 

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Germany should do well out of the banking sector. The Dutch like to tax bankers. 

I remember when this all kicked off just after the vote and we mentioned the fact it was easy for the financial/banking/insurance sector just to close up and move their business abroad, yet a few on here called us fannies and it wouldn't happen. 

21 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

The Netherlands are trying to mitigate any trade losses by encouraging companies to move here. It's going pretty well so far. 

Your equivalent of companies house has been swamped with new applications hasn't it? Sure I read that somewhere a while back.

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

Your equivalent of companies house has been swamped with new applications hasn't it? Sure I read that somewhere a while back.

Yeah, loads moving here from the UK and also firms setting up new head offices here and ignoring the UK. 

I mean, if you are from Japan, you are going to understand a Dutch person speaking English much better than your average Mackem.