You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

18 minutes ago, elvis said:

It's probably been said before , but you really should be ashamed to be using a great man's picture as your avatar . I'm fairly sure Bruce Springsteen would be appalled to learn you are a fan , you Tory fucking dimwit

You, with your broken avatar link, complaining about other people's avatars? SHAME!

18 minutes ago, elvis said:

It's probably been said before , but you really should be ashamed to be using a great man's picture as your avatar . I'm fairly sure Bruce Springsteen would be appalled to learn you are a fan , you Tory fucking dimwit

You, with your broken avatar link, complaining about other people's avatars? SHAME!

3 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Quite powerful as to the human effect.

Great for the UK though, we can replace her with a lower paid immigrant from outside the EU without all those pesky employment rights that Brussels impose. I'm sure the bellends who thought slave wages and brown faces would vanish post-Brexit will be delighted.

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Great for the UK though, we can replace her with a lower paid immigrant from outside the EU without all those pesky employment rights that Brussels impose. I'm sure the bellends who thought slave wages and brown faces would vanish post-Brexit will be delighted.

Trump will make you take a load of Mexicans. 

15 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Quite powerful as to the human effect.

This is emotional driven nonsense to appeal to stupid Remainers that don't even understand immigration law. If she's lived here for twenty years she can claim UK citizenship and stay. She's got permanent residence status automatically after living here for 5 years and coming from an EU country. She can also apply for citizenship through settled status which she's also eligible for. Complete bollocks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yeah, that Ghanaian nurse has got nothing to complain about!

1 hour ago, elvis said:

You know what's funny? all the people attacking me were the ones that used to rep every one of my posts - like yourself. Em City was talking about missing me as a poster on the missing posters thread. Be careful what you wish for lads.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Boss said:

This is emotional driven nonsense to appeal to stupid Remainers that don't even understand immigration law. If she's lived here for twenty years she can claim UK citizenship and stay. She's got permanent residence status automatically after living here for 5 years and coming from an EU country. She can also apply for citizenship through settled status which she's also eligible for. Complete bollocks.

Why is she so upset?

Is she a Remoaner shill?

13 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Why is she so upset?

Is she a Remoaner shill?

I don't know mate. It sounds like there's been some confusion with her NI number and she was brought over here 20 years ago on a resettlement scheme.

No, she's not a Remoaner shill. This just plays perfectly into the racist narrative that Remainers want to push though. The truth is the woman doesn't know her NI number and is eligible to stay, but that doesn't galvanise public support - which is of course what Remainers want - a story that conforms to a fictious narrative and simultaneously pulls at the heartstrings.

Let's just hope bargain basement brexit barbarian bonehead bastard johnson can get us out as fast as possible so we can avoid this. Never mind all the anti-EU links you've seen posted around here, this is the big one that exposes the whole fraudulent rotten core of the system : https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/04/eu-to-ban-non-meat-product-labels-veggie-burgers-and-vegan-steaks

Then let's get tariffs on all the food they rename and bring the EU suits to their knees. Rule britannia and all that shite.

9 minutes ago, Boss said:

I don't know mate. It sounds like there's been some confusion with her NI number and she was brought over here 20 years ago on a resettlement scheme.

No, she's not a Remoaner shill. This just plays perfectly into the racist narrative that Remainers want to push though. The truth is the woman doesn't know her NI number and is eligible to stay, but that doesn't galvanise public support - which is of course what Remainers want - a story that conforms to a fictious narrative and simultaneously pulls at the heartstrings.

It’s just a bare video of her account. It speaks for itself as to what she feels she’s going through. As with anything I’d want to see the facts of the claim she’s been refused before being absolutist about that, but it’s direct eye witness testimony from someone 20 years in the country.

Do you not think it says anything that she feels this unwelcome and insecure in the country, on top of what I can well believe is a nightmarish process to navigate because let’s face it, even simple processes involving government agencies tend to be.

• Upvote 1

Won’t be a concern to New Britannia. In Brexit Britain vegans will be treated like the tree-hugging, EU favouring, hippie bastards they are. They’ll be rounded up, held in gulags and force-fed three week old donner meat in a forced recarnivorisation.

Guest Pistonbroke

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-parliament-supended-no-deal-queens-speech-john-bercow-a9082651.html

When Charles I arrived in the chamber of the House of Commons in January 1642, armed guards in tow, to arrest a group of MPs for treason, it was the speaker who stood in his way. Instead of giving up the so-called traitors, speaker William Lenthall rebuked the King and reasserted the power of the Commons, telling Charles, “I have neither eyes to see nor tongue to speak in this place but as this House is pleased to direct me.”

The struggle for power between executive and legislature is not a new one. But the possibility of John Bercow taking the lead in the battle to stop Brexit offers the prospect of a modern-day stand-off, every bit as compelling as the one that took place in the months before the Civil War. It’s not Jeremy Corbyn, Yvette Cooper or Ken Clarke who’s best-placed to stop Brexit, but Bercow himself.

It’s an opportunity that Bercow plans to exploit to the full. The reaction from Bercow today to Boris Johnson’s plan to hold a Queen’s Speech in mid-October, with parliament not sitting for a period of almost five weeks beforehand, was telling. He took time out from his holiday with his family to fire off a vicious message, saying that the PM’s plan is a “constitutional outrage” and an “offence against the democratic process”.

There was no need for this, of course. With a different person in the chair, you could expect the speaker to stay above the fray in such matters. Just as the Queen hasn’t knocked out a quick press release from Balmoral giving her two cents, so previous speakers would have kept quiet. Even if they did stick their oar in, other speakers might have given a more rounded view of where this planned prorogation sits in parliamentary precedent. Bercow could have pointed out that there is always a recess during September and October for party conferences; that the Queen’s Speech is long overdue; and that the PM’s plan will lead to the loss of just a handful of sitting days.

There was, however, no chance of any such approach. Bercow is someone who has always loved being the centre of attention. As his biographer, I should know. For him, supporting a cause means being the loudest voice in the room. When he was a Eurosceptic, Bercow was so fervent in his beliefs that he even vowed to carry on using French francs on his holidays, in protest at the introduction of the euro. Now he’s decided that Brexit needs to be stopped, his personality drives him, inexorably, to take up the fight more fiercely than anyone else.

Nor is there much that the government can do to stop him. As speaker, Bercow alone can decide what’s permitted by parliamentary precedent, and he’s shown himself willing to ignore precedent entirely and to tear up the rules when needed.

It’s also easily forgotten that Bercow’s speakership is in the end of days. In the chair since 2009, he’s already outlasted a promise to stand down after two parliaments, and was almost toppled by a bullying scandal last year. In a future general election, the Conservatives are likely to use this as an excuse to run a candidate against him in his Buckingham constituency: Bercow would almost certainly lose. He may have just weeks left in the job, and he’s in need of a legacy.

So now will be the time for Bercow to push the nuclear button. I’m sure he will bend parliamentary procedure – or rip it up, depending on your viewpoint – to allow MPs to pass legislation requiring Johnson to seek an extension to Article 50, using a beefed-up version of the Standing Order 24 procedure, allowing for emergency debates. If there’s a prospect of revoking Article 50 before 31 October, Bercow will ensure that there is time for such a law to pass. 

But today’s events bring a more compelling prospect still. When parliament takes its five-week break – assuming MPs don’t block this first – Bercow will relish the idea of leading a parliament in exile. He can play his final hand as speaker: opening up the doors of the Commons in the face of the prorogation, running his own chamber as an act of defiance against the government.

In doing so, we would face a constitutional crisis like no other seen in modern times, with a direct stand-off between the elected government on one side, and the speaker, standing for some (but by no means all), of the House of Commons on the other.

A speaker hell-bent on stopping Brexit, with little left to lose, will be a very dangerous opponent for Johnson. Only one of their political careers can survive this confrontation. The outcome of this battle may well determine whether the government will survive – and whether Brexit will happen at all.

Bobby Friedman is a qualified barrister and author of the biography of John Bercow, Bercow, Mr Speaker: Rowdy Living in the Tory Party

1 minute ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

It’s just a bare video of her account. It speaks for itself as to what she feels she’s going through. As with anything I’d want to see the facts of the claim she’s been refused before being absolutist about that, but it’s direct eye witness testimony from someone 20 years in the country.

Do you not think it says anything that she feels this unwelcome and insecure in the country, on top of what I can well believe is a nightmarish process to navigate because let’s face it, even simple processes involving government agencies tend to be.

It does say something, definitely. I'm not disputing that racism exists, or that this woman feels persecuted because of the situation. I'm just saying there are procedures in place to protect her in this scenario. She needs to contact the Citizens Advice Bureau and apply for settler status if she hasn't already. There are also humanitarian lawyers that will take on her case if there's any issues with her claim.