You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Just a month ago starmer refused to say which way labour would support in any new referendum. That's been the parties position since the last referendum. 

It's an odd one.  They've been increasingly clear that they will block No Deal and they will campaign against any deal the Tories put forward (or any deal that doesn't meet Labour's tests); but if there's a General Election, as Labour policy currently stands, they're going to go to the EU, try to negotiate something which does meet their tests and then put it to another referendum.  What McDonnell, Abbott and Thornberry seem to be saying, is that however good a job Starmer does of negotiating an acceptable deal, they will campaign against it.

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Well as you are pretty much directly employed by the eu I'd say quite a lot. 

This job you've invented for me; what is it, exactly?

Do I work for the EU? Where am I based; in the UK or abroad? Does it pay well? Do I get to use my wide range of language skills?

Or do I work for a private company, hired by the EU to do some work they've outsourced? Maybe I fix photocopiers in Strasbourg. That could be exciting. 

Or do I work for some UK public sector organisation, doing work that's wholly funded by the EU? (Actually, you'd better swerve that line of thinking: it leads to the ERDF investing in Merseyside at a time when the UK Government was horny for "managed decline" and that doesn't help your side of the debate about what the EU has done for the rest of us.)

I can't even be arsed asking why you've dreamt up this fantasy life for me. I'm just curious about the details of what it actually is. 

• Upvote 1

Here's an interesting reminder of how the 2016 referendum played out in the media. It was pretty much a dick-swinging contest between two millionaire Etonian Buller boys.

If anybody advocating No Deal today claims that people knew what they were voting for  - 15 years or more of suppressed economic growth; flogging off the NHS to US privateers; the collapse of the Good Friday Agreement; etc. - you have to ask them where people were getting their information, because none of that was in the media.

https://blog.lboro.ac.uk/crcc/eu-referendum/uk-news-coverage-2016-eu-referendum-report-5-6-may-22-june-2016/

43 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Here's an interesting reminder of how the 2016 referendum played out in the media. It was pretty much a dick-swinging contest between two millionaire Etonian Buller boys.

If anybody advocating No Deal today claims that people knew what they were voting for  - 15 years or more of suppressed economic growth; flogging off the NHS to US privateers; the collapse of the Good Friday Agreement; etc. - you have to ask them where people were getting their information, because none of that was in the media.

https://blog.lboro.ac.uk/crcc/eu-referendum/uk-news-coverage-2016-eu-referendum-report-5-6-may-22-june-2016/

Yeah but, Will of the people

On 20/08/2019 at 15:32, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's an odd one.  They've been increasingly clear that they will block No Deal and they will campaign against any deal the Tories put forward (or any deal that doesn't meet Labour's tests); but if there's a General Election, as Labour policy currently stands, they're going to go to the EU, try to negotiate something which does meet their tests and then put it to another referendum.  What McDonnell, Abbott and Thornberry seem to be saying, is that however good a job Starmer does of negotiating an acceptable deal, they will campaign against it.

Ok, so that is a new type of sitting on the fence! Let's be real here, that is as stupid a negotiating position as May has taken. The government has no negotiating position in Brussels if the cabinet is saying we won't back any deal you give us. I don't really understand the logic or how that appeals to the electorate in a GE (or at least the leave part of the electorate it would appear to be aimed at) - surely the Tory right and the brexit party will just call that for what it is, a bunch of remainers trying to make us remain and any negotiating in Brussels is to ensure we fail to get a good deal. 

Personally I think labour need to back a position of at least a new referendum, but one that is perhaps run in multiple stages (or 2nd or 3rd vote options) . We know a binary choice of leave creates the issue of "what type of leave". So maybe that needs to be clarified. I don't know what is right. I actually want labour to campaign on a remain platform. They won't do that though. 

As the statistics prove that immigration has an adverse effect on immigrants themselves and the lowest paid workers (talk about flagging up the obvious) the above report on the underestimated number of EU migrants show britain unfortunately had a lot more poor people than previously thought. It's also bad news for workers trying to come from outside the EU.

However as with most things there are winners and losers, swings and roundabouts and troughs and highs so if your a boss who has benefited for the past decade by having an unlimited tap of low paid workers to use and exploit hope you enjoy your money,  you won't find much dissent for your gains on here.

50 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

No. Sadly I think I understand your point all too well.

Yes I think you do, do you also understand the protests against inequality and Macron in France? 

https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/growing-number-of-french-shocked-by-income-inequality/

Or are you going to act simplistic and tarr the protesters  as bigots and racists?