You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

29 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Realistically what is the lowest the pound could go? Parity with the euro? With the dollar?

With the yen?

1985: https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-USD

2008: https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-EUR

Guardian confirming what I knew all along: you're a bunch of extremists! Stop trying to brainwash me into your far lef....remain agenda.

‘Loud, obsessive, tribal’: the radicalisation of remain

They hate Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn. They no longer trust the BBC. They love civil servants, legal experts and James O’Brien. And now, consumed by the battle against Brexit, hardcore remainers are no longer the moderates.

This is classic :

Remainists are the kind of people who used to rely on the BBC, and defend it against attacks from the left and right. Now they feel it is just one more institution that has failed them. So they have to look elsewhere – and, in many cases, Twitter has filled that void. AC Grayling, a philosopher who has become one of the most outspoken remainists, described to me how he spends half an hour on Twitter first thing each morning, while on his exercise bike or treadmill. “Normally I start off quite slowly,” he said. But as he gets annoyed by the latest Brexit news, he finds himself going faster and faster.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/13/brexit-remain-radicalisation-fbpe-peoples-vote

Wasn't going to read it all but it looks like there might be a good few laughs in there so saving for later.

59 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Realistically what is the lowest the pound could go? Parity with the euro? With the dollar?

With the yen?

Depends on how bad the economic impact is after Brexit. A worst case would be a no deal followed by a cold war stand off between us and the EU while we drag our heels arranging other deals. If that led to a sustained recession that lasted say a decade with a house price collapse, inflation and unemployment then we'd drop below the Euro and we'd move nearer parity with the dollar.

But that is worst case. Its more likely we'd have a short shock but then new trade deals (albeit not weighted in our favour) would bolster the economy and Sterling would recover.

It doesn't look good though. Our economy contracted last quarter and if that continues then we are officially in recession and a no deal brexit would boost inflation. Alright for those in charge though; they are rich and even if they are voted out they'll still get comfortable jobs elsewhere. They'll be laughing all the way to the bank. I bet the US can't wait either - a no deal Brexit will be brilliant for them.

19 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Guardian confirming what I knew all along: you're a bunch of extremists! Stop trying to brainwash me into your far lef....remain agenda.

This is classic :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/13/brexit-remain-radicalisation-fbpe-peoples-vote

Wasn't going to read it all but it looks like there might be a good few laughs in there so saving for later.

The big news there is that they've managed to find highly vocal people with entrenched positions on Twitter. Has that ever happened before?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, M_B said:

Depends on how bad the economic impact is after Brexit. A worst case would be a no deal followed by a cold war stand off between us and the EU while we drag our heels arranging other deals. If that led to a sustained recession that lasted say a decade with a house price collapse, inflation and unemployment then we'd drop below the Euro and we'd move nearer parity with the dollar.

But that is worst case. Its more likely we'd have a short shock but then new trade deals (albeit not weighted in our favour) would bolster the economy and Sterling would recover.

It doesn't look good though. Our economy contracted last quarter and if that continues then we are officially in recession and a no deal brexit would boost inflation. Alright for those in charge though; they are rich and even if they are voted out they'll still get comfortable jobs elsewhere. They'll be laughing all the way to the bank. I bet the US can't wait either - a no deal Brexit will be brilliant for them.

Yeah, that John Bolton gimp has been nursing a semi in the press today. He knows they can buy half the country for about a tenner.

The Mrs had to go to get an MRI the other week so I was stuck for nearly an hour in the waiting room & picked up the nearest magazine which I assumed was a spoof at first. It was called ' The Oldie ' and every page would have given a brexiteer a lazy lob-on. It was all about Blue Peter, peoples first British car , old soldiers trying to find mates they hadn't spoken to since the Boer War, pin-ups of Vera Lynn and the sale of teapots with Lady Di's head as the lid. 

edit; I think I may be getting mixed up on the title , don't think it was called the Oldie. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Worse than I thought

To be fair I did fancy Sally Thomsett in Man about the House and I used to buy the the Shoot so maybe it turns out I am a Brexit-faced bastard myself.

7FE8DB31-9EA1-486F-BC96-29CB7AB85C03.jpeg

They remembered the exclamation mark in Shoot!, kudos for that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

The Mrs had to go to get an MRI the other week so I was stuck for nearly an hour in the waiting room & picked up the nearest magazine which I assumed was a spoof at first. It was called ' The Oldie ' and every page would have given a brexiteer a lazy lob-on. It was all about Blue Peter, peoples first British car , old soldiers trying to find mates they hadn't spoken to since the Boer War, pin-ups of Vera Lynn and the sale of teapots with Lady Di's head as the lid. 

edit; I think I may be getting mixed up on the title , don't think it was called the Oldie. 

Was it the Daily Express ?

• Upvote 2