You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

35 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Were we going in the right direction these past 30 years or so?   You think so?

Weve got food banks; zero hour contracts and a privatisation policy that has punnished the poor to the pulp.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/eu-ombudsman-calls-for-review-of-barroso-s-goldman-sachs-role-1.3428139?mode=amp

The above is what you are hanging your hat on? 

Its not just bad in the uk try europes nearest capital Paris. Yellow vest protests. Or go to one of the futhest in Greece where the people gave Jean Clude  Junaker a really warm welcome by pelting the prick with petrol bombs when he went there.

Capitalism with a small c is still a cunt for the european poor who have to ensure it. The past is all the proof you need.

Brussels is way closer than Paris. 

11 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

A system where 350 million people have a real choice over where they live, work and relax. Oh, the horror.

It's great for workers from countries with weaker economies. However, for the established economies it doesn't offer anything positive to the average worker. You don't see droves of British workers flooding into Estonia for work do you? 

1 minute ago, Boss said:

It's great for workers from countries with weaker economies. However, for the established economies it doesn't offer anything positive to the average worker. You don't see droves of British workers flooding into Estonia for work do you? 

There will be loads wanting to work here or Germany come November like. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Boss said:

In General they are far too lazy to learn a new language and frightened of change.  Plus how many Estonians (example) find skilled employment, those who do will hardly be dropping the wages within the skilled fields. Or are you on about other fields (literally), where most Brits won't work as they find the work demeaning? 

4 minutes ago, Boss said:

There are posters on this thread who are living and working in mainland EU course , right now.

For those of us who remain in the UK, we benefit from a more diverse and skilled workforce, giving a boost to the entire economy and contributing to the public purse. And those are just the crass financial benefits; the cultural, societal and personal benefits are less easy to monetise.

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

In General they are far too lazy to learn a new language and frightened of change.  Plus how many Estonians (example) find skilled employment, those who do will hardly be dropping the wages withing the skilled fields. Or are you on about other fields (literally), where most Brits won't work as they find the work demeaning? 

The distain with which you talk about British people stands you in good stead with your EU masters. 

Guest Pistonbroke
15 minutes ago, Boss said:

The distain with which you talk about British people stands you in good stead with your EU masters. 

So the truth is now Disdain? Excuse me whilst I shrug that reply off as arrogance. 

9 minutes ago, Boss said:

It's not disdainful to, for example, point out that most British people don't bother to learn a single foreign language, and that British people have the worst record in Europe on that measure. That's just a fact.

1 minute ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

It's not disdainful to, for example, point out that most British people don't bother to learn a single foreign language, and that British people have the worst record in Europe on that measure. That's just a fact.

Maybe British people don't feel the need to learn another language because they live in one of the most prosperous societies on Earth and their language is the most learnt second language in the world. Just a thought.

4 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

I know loads of Brits and Irish that have been here for years without learning Dutch to be fair. 

1 minute ago, Boss said:

Maybe British people don't feel the need to learn another language because they live in one of the most prosperous societies on Earth and their language is the most learnt second language in the world. Just a thought.

I think that response perfectly encapsulates the arrogance of the British. I don't really need to add anything to it.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Boss said:

Within the context of the debate that's a load of bollocks. 

The necessity is not there. So you can't ascribe it to laziness. It's simply unnecessary for a British person (who lives and works in Britain) to learn a foreign language, in a way that it's not for an Estonian that aspires to live in Britain. What part of that is not common sense?

16 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

I think that response perfectly encapsulates the arrogance of the British. I don't really need to add anything to it.

Just asking but do you speak any other languages?

Other than bollocks obviously 

I think anyone who can speak other languages is pretty cool. I can speak ok French and Spanish. I can get by as long as I'm not speaking to anyone who can speak either of them languages. 

Guest Pistonbroke
12 minutes ago, Boss said:

The necessity is not there. So you can't ascribe it to laziness. It's simply unnecessary for a British person (who lives and works in Britain) to learn a foreign language, in a way that it's not for an Estonian that aspires to live in Britain. What part of that is not common sense?

Like I said, It's all about context. You used Estonia as an example of Brits not rushing over there to work. A lot of EU members who work in the UK do work which a lot of Brits find demeaning. They are hardly pushing the wages down, in fact they are adding to the economy because they still pay taxes and spend money on rent/food etc. Those who find skilled work do so because in the majority they have the qualifications needed. If wages drop within these skilled posts it is hardly their fault, but the fault of those who employ them. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Wil je friets? 

Dutch chips/fries are way better than the anaemic shit you normally get. Quite a few establishments sell them over here. Belgium chips were also nice when I visited, a lot of places just use butter to fry them in. I wasn't keen on the horse meat though. 

14 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Dutch chips/fries are way better than the anaemic shit you normally get. Quite a few establishments sell them over here. Belgium chips were also nice when I visited, a lot of places just use butter to fry them in. I wasn't keen on the horse meat though. 

Belgian style > Dutch style 

Easily. It's not a contest. 

32 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Like I said, It's all about context. You used Estonia as an example of Brits not rushing over there to work. A lot of EU members who work in the UK do work which a lot of Brits find demeaning. They are hardly pushing the wages down, in fact they are adding to the economy because they still pay taxes and spend money on rent/food etc. Those who find skilled work do so because in the majority they have the qualifications needed. If wages drop within these skilled posts it is hardly their fault, but the fault of those who employ them. 

This is the "British people won't work those jobs" logical fallacy that i've rebuked about ten times on here. What jobs, specifically, will British people not do? And have you spoke to all 65,000,000 of them individually to gain this consensus?