You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Guest Pistonbroke

A 'No Deal' won't happen imo, just the UK thinking they can still use it as a bargaining chip. Really is just Bravado. Most know that they'd be in the shit if they follow a 'No Deal' scenario through. If they were confident it would have happened ages ago, plus there are no great deals on the horizon apart from becoming the USA's bitches and handing the NHS over to private American businessmen. Plus why would you want to trade with just one country instead of a huge Bloc, they'd just fuck you over. 

Used to think the same, but now I'm pessimistic about our chances and think we'll crash out. Boris will aim for it and at some point the EU will stop giving extensions. Plus I think Boris et al stand to receive bumper offshore payments, most likely from the US. Everyone worries about the Russians interfering in our politics, but its the Americans who are manipulating it most. They have everything to gain from us leaving the EU.

1 hour ago, Boss said:

The hardliners like Kenneth Clarke won't turn, but there's enough MP's for a majority if they convince them that no deal benefits their self interest.

MPs prepared to put the good of the country before their own self-interest are now the hardliners.

• Upvote 1

Was listening to a thing yesterday about how bad Britain is these days at lobbying the likes of yanks other than dancing to Trump's tune, but that the Irish had been lobbying Pelosi and she said the Senate would veto any trade deal with us if we fucked over the Irish with the backstop.

These lot are clowns, some people are so far behind in the race they think they're actually leading.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, M_B said:

Used to think the same, but now I'm pessimistic about our chances and think we'll crash out. Boris will aim for it and at some point the EU will stop giving extensions. Plus I think Boris et al stand to receive bumper offshore payments, most likely from the US. Everyone worries about the Russians interfering in our politics, but its the Americans who are manipulating it most. They have everything to gain from us leaving the EU.

Most Politicians won't gain from the Yanks etc. Only those at the top. No way will parliament accept a No Deal scenario. Plus if BJ and his mates think they can push it through by shutting parliament then they are in for a shock. 

48 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Was listening to a thing yesterday about how bad Britain is these days at lobbying the likes of yanks other than dancing to Trump's tune, but that the Irish had been lobbying Pelosi and she said the Senate would veto any trade deal with us if we fucked over the Irish with the backstop.

These lot are clowns, some people are so far behind in the race they think they're actually leading.

I don't think Ireland are particularly good at lobbying they and Israel in particular just carry massive sway with the Americans because of the sheer number of voters in the US. Probably for the first time in history Ireland is more powerful than the UK due it's relationship with the US and the EU. Stick that on a bus.

3 hours ago, Boss said:

The hardliners like Kenneth Clarke won't turn, but there's enough MP's for a majority if they convince them that no deal benefits their self interest.

How is somebody who wants to maintain the status quo be described as a hardliner?

Just weird

46 minutes ago, mattyq said:

How is somebody who wants to maintain the status quo be described as a hardliner?

Just weird

Hardliner - A person who pursues an uncompromising policy

He is a hardliner because he will not compromise his position. The semantic police are out in force today.

55 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Just weird

I think maintaining the status quo is a pretty hard line policy, when the status quo is so cruel and destructive, no? 

19 minutes ago, Boss said:

He is a hardliner because he will not compromise his position. The semantic police are out in force today.

Ken Clarke voted for the withdrawal agreement. Three times. I'm not going to ask you how that demonstrates he is unwilling to compromise his position because words clearly have no meaning to a zealot like you.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

I don't think Ireland are particularly good at lobbying they and Israel in particular just carry massive sway with the Americans because of the sheer number of voters in the US. Probably for the first time in history Ireland is more powerful than the UK due it's relationship with the US and the EU. Stick that on a bus.

Isn't Ireland also protected by its EU membership status? Plus, some in the UK fail to realize that this is also a matter of an international treaty which has been in place for over 20 years. What could London threaten Dublin with?

29 minutes ago, moof said:

I think maintaining the status quo is a pretty hard line policy, when the status quo is so cruel and destructive, no? 

Remaining in the EU isn't cruel and destructive

43 minutes ago, Boss said:

He's compromised his position not once, not twice but thrice

Regarding Brexit it's a nonsense to call him a hardliner

Guest Pistonbroke

I was reading earlier about what that permer gurning wank spangle Farge was banging on about. Anyone against Brexit should be removed from the Military and Civil Services, the humongous cock womble. Apparently support for his Brexit Party is waning.  

1 hour ago, deiseach said:

Ken Clarke voted for the withdrawal agreement. Three times. I'm not going to ask you how that demonstrates he is unwilling to compromise his position because words clearly have no meaning to a zealot like you.

He said himself he was voting against the withdrawal bill. If you don't believe me, listen to this from the man himself. 

He referred to the bill as a wrecking piece of legislation. Unless this is a different withdrawal bill. Or are you talking about the Yvette Cooper bill to postpone Brexit until Oct 31 - which is entirely in-fitting with him trying to stifle Brexit?

16 minutes ago, Boss said:

He said himself he was voting against the withdrawal bill. If you don't believe me, listen to this from the man himself. 

He referred to the bill as a wrecking piece of legislation. Unless this is a different withdrawal bill. Or are you talking about the Yvette Cooper bill to postpone Brexit until Oct 31 - which is entirely in-fitting with him trying to stifle Brexit?

As far as I know, he voted for the withdrawal agreement - aka May's deal - three times. Those don't seem the actions of a man trying to stifle Brexit.

He's a pro-EU pragmatist, who wants to end deadlock and avoid no-deal.

12 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

As far as I know, he voted for the withdrawal agreement - aka May's deal - three times. Those don't seem the actions of a man trying to stifle Brexit.

He's a pro-EU pragmatist, who wants to end deadlock and avoid no-deal.

Okay. So he voted for the option most in-fitting with his own stance because the alternative was the ERG backed no deal. I don't see how that shows he's willing to compromise towards a no deal though - which is what I said, and what I've been attacked for saying at the top of the page. 

1 minute ago, Boss said:

Okay. So he voted for the option most in-fitting with his own stance because the alternative was the ERG backed no deal. I don't see how that shows he's willing to compromise towards a no deal though - which is what I said, and what I've been attacked for saying at the top of the page. 

Yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever

You said he's a hardliner because he doesn't compromise and you were then provided with concrete facts that he did, in actual fact, compromise his position 3 times

Just admit you were wrong to call him a hardliner as you were.

I don't even like Clarke but he's not a Brexit cunt

1 minute ago, mattyq said:

Yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever

You said he's a hardliner because he doesn't compromise and you were then provided with concrete facts that he did, in actual fact, compromise his position 3 times

Just admit you were wrong to call him a hardliner as you were.

I don't even like Clarke but he's not a Brexit cunt

No, read what I said again. I said that certain MP's cannot be swayed towards a no deal - Ken Clark being an example. Some MP's - Amber Rudd (because she was the topic of the thread)- can be, based off their own self interest. 

I know what I meant, because i was the one that said it. Now if you or deisearch have evidence where Ken Clarke has compromised to a No Deal position, then i'll concede my point.