You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

I agree with moof, unilaterally revoking Article 50 wouldn't solve matters.

I think we have to let things take their course and bottom out naturally, then hopefully people will see sense and rebuild from there.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that either, though.

There are no easy solutions.  The hatred and division has been stirred up for so long it is deep-rooted in large swathes of the population, who don't like being told that they're wrong, so they double down on it.  

I have come to accept that I live in a racist and backward thinking country driven by hatred and division.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, moof said:

Ok, so we revoke it, then what?

Same as anything: then we live with it. 

If we revoke Article 50, there will be a backlash of racist populists attacking politicians  - and anyone they consider foreign - because they didn't get the unicorns they were promised.

If we leave on May's terms or - even worse - no deal, then there will be a backlash from the 48% plus the racist populist backlash, because the economy will be fucked.

All 3 options are pretty fucking horrible; but the implications of revocation are the least awful. 

(The best hope for a way out is either a General Election or a confirmatory referendum.; but as these are both entirely in the gift of the Tory MPs, I'm not holding my breath.)

9 hours ago, TK421 said:

I think we have to let things take their course and bottom out naturally, then hopefully people will see sense and rebuild from there.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that either, though.

I'm worried that there's still a long, long way before we find the bottom.  I'm a white, English, heterosexual man, so I'll be alright for a while, on the voyage to the bottom.  Other people won't. 

Revoking it at this point would be a catastrophe. If your attitude is “just let the racists riot” then it shows a huge gap in critical analysis. It would open up a massive can of worms, we don’t want to go there - and it wouldn’t solve anything if we did. Luckily, it’s a pipe dream 

Guest Pistonbroke

Saying there would be riots is a bit OTT imo. Many of those claiming they would hit the streets won't. Some will, but the Government would squash that lark pretty quick, all those soldiers returning from Germany need something to do. Going through with a no deal could be a lot worse. 

50 minutes ago, moof said:

Revoking it at this point would be a catastrophe. 

I think you're over-egging that particular pudding. Catastrophic would be to leave with a no-deal. Revoking it would have some challenging consequences, and would be quite undemocratic at this point. What we need is a confirmation with staying and no-deal, with all of the catastrophic consequences of no deal being laid out. If we, as a nation, want to pull out with a no deal, fucking ourselves as we go. Fine. If we chose to stay, then that's democratic too. 

As much as I would like it to happen, revoking article 50 would push a lot of voters towards a nationalist, populist right wing party which frankly would be somewhat scary. The only way to overturn the original vote is with another.

14 hours ago, TK421 said:

There are no easy solutions.  The hatred and division has been stirred up for so long it is deep-rooted in large swathes of the population, who don't like being told that they're wrong, so they double down on it.  

I have come to accept that I live in a racist and backward thinking country driven by hatred and division.  

Oh, didn't know you moved to Australia.  Or is it Eastern Europe? US?

Leaving without a deal is less democratic than remaining in the EU. It’s got to be. We had a referendum and Leave won. There was the European election that pretty much confirmed it this was still the case. Having said that, I don’t think either should be an option. The government should really just focus on trying to get the best (least damaging) deal for the country. If the deal isn’t good enough for the parliament then let Labour have a go.

• Upvote 1