You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

12 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Please refrain from personal attacks. Let’s focus on your earlier statement of Greece being the only left wing government in Europe. The three countries I mentioned earlier are currently governed by social democratic parties. Facts, no?

"Please refrain from personal attacks"  you hinted i was a lier you fucking blert.

If the best you can do for an example of a left wing government is Spain it reinforces my point.

Now go fuck yourself.

• Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

"Please refrain from personal attacks"  you hinted i was a lier you fucking blert.

If the best you can do for an example of a left wing government is Spain it reinforces my point.

Now go fuck yourself.

I gave you three countries Gnasher. You did make up a lie. It wasn’t an attack.

11 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Yep good ol democracy eh? If we take your thought  proccess then  maybe the people of this country have a better understanding  of what is good for them than you than you do?

48.1% of this country's electorate in 2016 voted to remain - and that in a Referendum in which the leave side had the ground prepared for them by decades of consistent media lies and propaganda; in which the leave side broke electoral laws; in which the leave side committed "dishonesty on an industrial scale"; and in which the people with most at stake were denied a vote. It's not the model of a perfect democratic mandate. 

Only 15% of the Greek electorate - the people who, more than any country in Europe, have good reason to be fucked off at the EU - voted for Eurosceptic parties.

To be fair, Greece was the only EU country with proper leftist government, Syriza is / was radical left, not center left or social democrat. On the other hand, the Greek crisis probably helped them to get into power more than it had to do with the voters eventually turning to the conservatives again. it's true most of EU governments would be happy with Syriza gone but given the choice they would have pushed them out 3 or 4 years ago when they represented the real danger to the euro, not now. 

Dear viRdjil, 

I am proud to lead the Labour Party – the greatest political party and social movement in this country.

We all recognise that the issue of Brexit has been divisive in our communities and sometimes in our party too. 

As democrats, Labour accepted the result of the 2016 referendum. In our 2017 manifesto, Labour also committed to oppose a No Deal Brexit and the Tories' Brexit plans – which threatened jobs, living standards, and the open multicultural society that we as internationalists value so much.

I want to pay tribute to Keir Starmer and the shadow Brexit team for holding the Government to account during this process. That helped secure a meaningful vote on their deal – which we then defeated three times – including inflicting the largest ever defeat on any Government. And following their refusal to publish their legal advice, this Government became the first to be held in contempt of Parliament. 

Labour set out a compromise plan to try to bring the country together based around a customs union, a strong single market relationship and protection of environmental regulations and rights at work. We continue to believe this is a sensible alternative that could bring the country together. 

But the Prime Minister refused to compromise and was unable to deliver, so we ended cross-party talks. 

Now both Tory leadership candidates are threatening a No Deal Brexit – or at best a race to the bottom and a sweetheart deal with Donald Trump: that runs down industry, opens up our NHS and other public services to yet more privatisation, and shreds environmental protections, rights at work and consumer standards. 

I have spent the past few weeks consulting with the shadow cabinet, MPs, affiliated unions and the NEC. I have also had feedback from members via the National Policy Forum consultation on Brexit. 

Whoever becomes the new Prime Minister should have the confidence to put their deal, or No Deal, back to the people in a public vote. 

In those circumstances, I want to make it clear that Labour would campaign for Remain against either No Deal or a Tory deal that does not protect the economy and jobs. 

Labour has a crucial, historic duty to safeguard jobs, rights and living standards. But no Brexit outcome alone can do that. 

We need a general election. After nine years of austerity, too many people in this country cannot find decent secure well-paid work, and have to rely on public services that have been severely cut back. 

Our country is ravaged by inequality and rising poverty, huge regional imbalances of investment, and the government is failing to tackle the climate emergency facing us all. 

That is why we need a Labour government to end austerity and rebuild our country for the many not the few. 

Signed, Jeremy Corbyn, Leader of the Labour Party

Jeremy Corbyn 
Leader of the Labour Party

Still clear as mud. Given that a GE election is possible later this year, what is Labour's position? Would they support remain or their own version of Brexit? If they won a GE would they put Labour's Brexit back to the country for a confirmatory referendum and if they did so which side would they support?

So the Labour position hasn't changed. Will vote against No Deal and would vote against a Tory exit that doesn't protect employment rights. So I'm assuming they'd vote and campaign for a deal that is a jobs first Brexit?

As with most of the last 3 years musings there's nothing new to see here.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think it’s that simple. The genie is out of the bottle, revoking article 50 would lead to serious civil unrest and possibly catastrophic effects to our politics. It’s bad enough now, it can also get a lot worse 

• Upvote 1