You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Guest Pistonbroke

I don't mind O'Brien, plus he's clearly a clever bloke. He does tend to use belittling tactics when speaking to the less educated who call his show though. 

7 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

His level of cognitive ability shouldn't really be judged on whether or not you like his opinions, in my view. It's more about his knowledge level and his ability to apply it. He's pretty sharp and pretty quick. He's a very skilled debater. 

I didn’t say he’s not bright. I said he’s not as bright as he thinks. Which is pretty self fuckin evident, if you ever have to listen to the smug cunt for over 5 minutes

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I've listened to him a lot. I just never really got the same vibe. 

As I said, it’s probably subjective. Agree to disagree etc. 

*throws shoe and scurries off back into the forest*

1 hour ago, moof said:

O’Brien is a total narcissist. Not as bright as he thinks and intoxicated by the smell of his own farts. Unfortunately he holds a bit of influence among extremely online centrists and brexit activists. He doesn’t offer any sage insight

Agreed. 

Knowledgeable about certain subjects, but doesn't seem particularly intelligent.

Find his shows unbearable because of how smug he is. 

12 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Labour - or any party - can have any policy they want if they're resigned to not getting a General Election; what the Opposition wants is only slightly relevant; you've got to get into government before you can determine the country's foreign policy. 

If Labour were to force a GE and win it, the policy (as I understand it) is to try to negotiate a Brexit that minimises the damage that comes with any form of Brexit; they are then open to a second referendum - Labour’s deal or Remain - at that time  (but it makes no sense to commit to a second referendum right now;  let's see how the land lies when and if the time comes.)

As long as Labour is in Opposition, all they can really do is keep thwarting No Deal and any ruinous Tory Brexit.  So far, so good.

Normally I would agree but these are not normal times.  Has been obvious to me for over a year that Labour will inexorably become a Remain party and have to fall in a with a second referendum because they won't get another GE and any deal the Tories cobble together will be be completely unacceptable . The shadow cabinet meeting today will quite likely bring the party a step closer to that position. After all it's the least worse solution to the mess.

It makes every sense to commit to that now and imo should have been done. The Euro election and Local election debacles would not have happened and millions of votes that went to the Lib Dems could have been avoided. 

O'Brien is at his best when challenging the half-baked logic of the leave voters and career Brexiteers.  That makes good listening.  On the flip side, his self-indulgent monologues come across as unbearably smug and he massively has it in for Corbyn, which never goes down well with me.  Nobody on LBC likes Corbyn, so I don't listen to it anymore.  

Nick Abbot is the most entertaining out of their presenters.  He has a healthy balance of cynicism and humility, delivered with great humour.  

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

O'Brien is at his best when challenging the half-baked logic of the leave voters and career Brexiteers.  That makes good listening.  On the flip side, his self-indulgent monologues come across as unbearably smug and he massively has it in for Corbyn, which never goes down well with me.  Nobody on LBC likes Corbyn, so I don't listen to it anymore.  

Nick Abbot is the most entertaining out of their presenters.  He has a healthy balance of cynicism and humility, delivered with great humour.  

I don’t mind Shelagh. 

4 hours ago, skend04 said:

Screenshot_20190619-092037~2.png

So if Labour voters didn't vote for Brexit in the numbers we keep getting told, who did?

You should bear in mind that by 2017 a lot of working class voters had already abandoned Labour, which led to the Tories winning seats like Copeland (ie Whitehaven) which is an absolute shithole and had been Labour since 1935.

8 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I don’t mind Shelagh. 

She's alright... until she joins in with the Corbyn bashing, and I switch off.  I mean if they just had one mainstream presenter who thought Corbs was alright that would be a bit fairer and representative of the listeners, but they're all at it.  Andrew Pearce and Tom Swarbrick make me want to vomit into my listening device.  Ian Payne, too.  All of them despise Corbyn.  

23 minutes ago, TK421 said:

She's alright... until she joins in with the Corbyn bashing, and I switch off.  I mean if they just had one mainstream presenter who thought Corbs was alright that would be a bit fairer and representative of the listeners, but they're all at it.  Andrew Pearce and Tom Swarbrick make me want to vomit into my listening device.  Ian Payne, too.  All of them despise Corbyn.  

Is any o the criticism valid, or do you literally switch off (rather than stop paying attention)? 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Is any o the criticism valid, or do you literally switch off (rather than stop paying attention)? 

There's so much of it that it's hard to tell what is valid.  I can't answer that because I genuinely find it hard to tell if the criticism is valid.  Everyone seems to have it in for him.  That may sound a bit snowflakey and paranoid but that's how it seems to me, so yes I would literally switch off.  

I used to listen to it all day (including Farage) if I was on my laptop working, but now I can barely manage ten minutes.  It's not just the Corbyn bashing, it's the repetitive adverts and topics like Brexit having reached saturation point.  But the Corbyn bashing doesn't help.  I'll probably start listening again in October when Brexit becomes hot again. 

Just now, TK421 said:

There's so much of it that it's hard to tell what is valid.  I can't answer that because I genuinely find it hard to tell if the criticism is valid.  Everyone seems to have it in for him.  That may sound a bit snowflakey and paranoid but that's how it seems to me, so yes I would literally switch off.  

I used to listen to it all day (including Farage) if I was on my laptop working, but now I can barely manage ten minutes.  It's not just the Corbyn bashing, it's the repetitive adverts and topics like Brexit having reached saturation point.  But the Corbyn bashing doesn't help.  I'll probably start listening again in October when Brexit becomes hot again. 

It doesn't sound snowflakey. The Corbyn bashing gets on my tits too, and I'm not even a supporter of his. There's enough for me to genuinely have an issue with without the need for making up some horrible shit. Making out as if he's a Jew hating, terrorist supporting, enemy state-employed maniac just doesn't tally with reality. It's annoying. 

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

It doesn't sound snowflakey. The Corbyn bashing gets on my tits too, and I'm not even a supporter of his. There's enough for me to genuinely have an issue with without the need for making up some horrible shit. Making out as if he's a Jew hating, terrorist supporting, enemy state-employed maniac just doesn't tally with reality. It's annoying. 

Yeah, I suppose some of it has to be valid purely by percentages.  But it doesn't seem fair, or representative of the listenership, and as a leading broadcaster I think they have a duty to be both.  

8 hours ago, skend04 said:

Screenshot_20190619-092037~2.png

So if Labour voters didn't vote for Brexit in the numbers we keep getting told, who did?

Well it's clear to see from your own chart that 28% of Labour voters voted Brexit and now only 11% will vote for them now. So they've alienated 17% of their own voter base to gain swing voting liberals. 

12 minutes ago, Boss said:

Well it's clear to see from your own chart that 28% of Labour voters voted Brexit and now only 11% will vote for them now. So they've alienated 17% of their own voter base to gain swing voting liberals. 

Well done in not being able to add up 7 and 6. Take a treat from the teacher.

Australia held a referendum on same sex-marriage a couple of years back, and they legalised it a couple of months after. I believe that’s how it should work really. It’s gotta be. The focus after the referendum should be on working out a Brexit scenario that has the least amount of potential downside for everyone involved.

56 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Australia held a referendum on same sex-marriage a couple of years back, and they legalised it a couple of months after. I believe that’s how it should work really. It’s gotta be. The focus after the referendum should be on working out a Brexit scenario that has the least amount of potential downside for everyone involved.

How many lies were told and how many laws were broken in your referendum?

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

Switzerland's supreme court voided the referendum result on same tax rates for married and co-habiting couples because it was decided that the electorate weren't given the fullest information to make a decision. Maybe that's how it should work.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

Well yes that probably is how it should work but unfortunately it was an ill thought out Tory led referendum to quieten their own headbangers and quash UKIP.  When that didn't work the Tories then decided that it should be a Brexit made in their own image and their own interests, no cross party consensus and no intention of acting in the best interests of the country to help reduce the negative impact (to the extent they appear to now be trying to work towards the worst possible impact).  And they'd have had it all their own way too of it wasn't for May's hubris and Gina Miller. 

And that's before we even get started on the illegalities of the whole thing. 

• Upvote 3