You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, mattyq said:

Or if he gets a GE what's in the Lab manifesto? Referendum or take May's deal?

Current Labour policy is to reject May's deal and to reject No Deal. Corbyn, Starmer and Thornberry have been back and forth to the EU to discuss their vision for Brexit  (and it has, apparently, been warmly received).

Obviously, the Manifesto would be reviewed before a General Election, but, based on everything they've been saying and doing for three years, any sensible forecast for a Labour Manifesto for a pre-Brexit election would include

1. Honour the result of the 2016 Referendum 

2. Defer Art 50 to allow time to negotiate with EU  (on terms significantly different to May's "red lines")

3. The option for a confirmatory (Labour’s Brexit or Remain) referendum. 

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

Literally fawning. I don’t quite dislike him as much as I do his colleague, Nigel Farage, but it’s not a million miles away. A horrible patronising twat.

It doesn't look like you're even reading the content of what you're posting. Arch-Remainer James O'Brien labelling the notion that Rory Stewart is any type of Remainer as "mad" is quite some distance from "fawning" over him.

Mind you, it's probably more accurate than your summation of O'Brien himself.

9 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Corbyn is accused of being a "secret" Brexiteer precisely because of his voting record (Voted to leave the EEC in 1975; voted against Maastricht in 1993; voted against the Lisbon Treaty in 2008; etc), and also because his brother says he's privately opposed to Britain's membership of the EU.

And where are these FBPErs championing Rory Stewart?

Here's a game: Ardja can go and collect evidence of FBPEers jizzing over Rory Stewart and you can go and collect evidence of Corbyn arguing for the UK to leave the EU.  At the end of the game, whoever collects most evidence wins.

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

Here's a game: Ardja can go and collect evidence of FBPEers jizzing over Rory Stewart and you can go and collect evidence of Corbyn arguing for the UK to leave the EU.  At the end of the game, whoever collects most evidence wins.

Why would I want to collect evidence for a proposition I've never made? How weird.

45 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

If pointing out that only one in five Tory leadership contenders is being remotely realistic counts as "championing", then that is a very low bar you're setting.

Does "being remotely realistic" include refusing to dismiss or ignore the millions of people who voted for the outcome you disagree with?

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

Does "being remotely realistic" include refusing to dismiss or ignore the millions of people who voted for the outcome you disagree with?

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. I don't want to ignore anyone, just to ask them if they're quite sure they want to travel to Hell in this handcart.

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

So, you're saying "other people say he's a closet Brexiteer, but I don't "?

While he clearly has a lengthy history of opposition to the European project, I think it's okay to admit that you're not completely sure what his current stance is. But I'm not going to criticise anyone who, based on that history, comes to a more definite conclusion.

21 minutes ago, Pidge said:

All those people, every last one of them.

The reaction to Rory Stewart has been utterly bizarre.

"How are you going to sort Brexit, Rory?"

"Well I thought I'd have one last crack at getting May's deal through, and if that doesn't work, Jury service"

Absolute galaxy brain, and yet most of the press are falling over themselves to tell us how talented and intelligent he is.

1 minute ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

While he clearly has a lengthy history of opposition to the European project, I think it's okay to admit that you're not completely sure what his current stance is. But I'm not going to criticise anyone who, based on that history, comes to a more definite conclusion.

He has a long history of opposition to neoliberalism, in the UK and in the EU.  But he never reached the conclusion that his friends and comrades Tony Benn and Bob Crow did: he has never argued for the UK to leave the EU.  The idea that (especially in all his years as a backbencher) he had secret opinions about any area of policy is just daft: he has always been outspoken.  I am going to criticise anyone who, on the basis of zero evidence, claims that Corbyn might be a "closet Brexiteer".

7 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Literally fawning. I don’t quite dislike him as much as I do his colleague, Nigel Farage, but it’s not a million miles away. A horrible patronising twat.

"I think O'Brien is a cunt because he asks people to qualify their statements".

Maybe, just maybe, we'd have a better world if more people in the news media were willing to hold those to account who make false and outrageous statements. 

8 hours ago, Duff Man said:

The reaction to Rory Stewart has been utterly bizarre.

"How are you going to sort Brexit, Rory?"

"Well I thought I'd have one last crack at getting May's deal through, and if that doesn't work, Jury service"

Absolute galaxy brain, and yet most of the press are falling over themselves to tell us how talented and intelligent he is.

Aye, exactly. I mean, I guess it shows the paucity of talent in that party that he’s considered the “sensible” one. He’s a complete caricature, but I suppose his eyes are less swivelled than the rest of them? Good going Rory. 

O’Brien is a total narcissist. Not as bright as he thinks and intoxicated by the smell of his own farts. Unfortunately he holds a bit of influence among extremely online centrists and brexit activists. He doesn’t offer any sage insight

Guest Pistonbroke

Nigel Farage says he would form election alliance with Tories for Brexit

ITV news

A clean exit from the EU could be achieved by Boris Johnson becoming Prime Minister and forming an election agreement with the Brexit Party, its leader Nigel Farage has said.

The former UKIP chief said such a pact would require Mr Johnson to call a snap election.

“If Boris said ‘right, we’re ditching this terrible treaty, it’s the worst deal in history, I made a terrible mistake in voting for it, we’re ditching it’,” Mr Farage said at an event hosted by The Telegraph on Tuesday.

“‘We’re giving Europe notice – we’re leaving on the 31st of October on WTO (World Trade Organisation) terms. We’re going to do our utmost to make sure that in terms of terms of aviation, transport, the Port of Dover there is as little disruption as there possibly can be’ – then you might spring them into action and they might offer some sort of tariff-free deal.

“And if Boris did that, and he was prepared to go to House of Commons to be voted down, to lose a motion of confidence, to go the country on a general election on that ticket and with the support of people of like me – he would win a massive, thumping majority.”

He was then asked by the paper’s Christopher Hope to reiterate his support for a deal contingent on going to the polls.

“If he was prepared to do that of course I’d want to work with them, of course I’d do that,” he replied.

Mr Farage said on Sunday that there is “little chance” of the Conservatives delivering on the promise to leave the EU by October 31, even if the former foreign secretary becomes Prime Minister.

If Mr Johnson tries to force the issue through Parliament he will face “open civil war”, Mr Farage wrote in the Sunday Express.

His comments on Tuesday come amid concerns that his party could split the vote among Tory Brexiteers.

“To win the next general election we don’t have to become the Brexit Party, make an electoral pact with them in certain seats, or offer a coalition in Parliament,” Scottish Conservative leader Ruth Davidson said in a column for The Telegraph.

“We have to respect the referendum result and leave the EU, as we said we would,” she added.

“Doing a deal with the Brexit Party would be an admission of defeat. And we’re not dead yet.”

1 minute ago, moof said:

I suppose it’s subjective. I don’t find him the least bit impressive 

His level of cognitive ability shouldn't really be judged on whether or not you like his opinions, in my view. It's more about his knowledge level and his ability to apply it. He's pretty sharp and pretty quick. He's a very skilled debater. 

• Upvote 1