You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

I agree with sir roger. Labour should do the right thing and make the case for doing the right thing instead of cynically attempting to triangulate its position to pick up votes from all quarters. But of course it benefits my lot if they don't.

43 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

You don't think going from 3.3% to 12.3% in a seat where we had practically no campaign suggests we're benefitting from the failures of others?

I think that getting 3.3% in any election is shocking for the nominal 3rd party in the UK and getting 12.3 % on a lower vote is pretty ordinary for a party suggesting they are the main leave party. I can’t see Labour or Tories remaining I n such a vulnerable state as at present so I think it is a worrying Lib Dem result , whether you campaigned or not ( and that’s not a positive if you are hoping for power , that you couldn’t be bothered ).

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

You don't think going from 3.3% to 12.3% in a seat where we had practically no campaign suggests we're benefitting from the failures of others?

You’ve become a one issue party. You’re yellow UKIP. 

6 minutes ago, moof said:

You’ve become a one issue party. You’re yellow UKIP. 

That's pretty funny coming from a Labour supporter. You've banged on about nothing but so-called austerity since 2010.

Brexit is the most important issue, and biggest threat to our way of life, for a generation. I'm glad someone is treating it as such.

No it will be fine Rico, the stuff about regulations that I was on about on here ages ago which they've also mentioned is nonsense. The rest of the world will just bow down to our superiority, we used to have an empire don't you know, at least until those uppity foreigners forgot what was best for them and decided they didn't want it.

Anyway, what the fuck would the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders know about what affects selling and making cars? They clearly can't know as much as  genius like Boris or the clearly insightful and not at all disingenuous Farage.

As I was saying ages ago on the regulations thing we're going to be bound by them anyway if we still want to sell to the EU (and surely everyone no matter where they lie in the debate realizes we still will have to sell to our biggest export market) means we're stuck with it anyway. Just like the rest of the world is stuck with making right hand drive cars if they want to sell here.

The biggest issue I see on the regulations side is simply that British Standards probably can't cope, much of the regulatory side was just ceded to the EU and had almost no oversight by the UK, something none of the politicians want to admit while they are slagging the EU of for something that they simply ignored. 

With the fire safety side of things we had waiting times of several months to get things tested for approval as there was one person available to test our kit. If she was off you couldn't even get a simple query answered as she was the only person who knew about those regulations. 

At the moment you can also use the European testing houses, but if British regs then don't match theirs it may not be possible. Unless we have the European testing houses also testing for things to come over here if we do indeed have our own regs.

We're going to end up like Swanson sorting out his workshop, "no we're making people manufacture things to the British regulations, if that happens to overlap with the EU regulations......"

The Brexit party is yet another manufactured anomaly by the media, just like Robinson.

"Oooh Westminster voting intention puts them ahead of the main parties".

Yeah okay mate.

Just a thoroughly dishonest political media landscape now and its only impulse is to create tomorrow's stories regardless of what problems it causes people. 

I quite like Thornberry , despite her White Van Man gaffe , but she was quite clearly making a play to put herself in pole position to take over from Jeremy Corbyn if electoral votes went against him , and generally  leaders do not take kindly to that sort of thing. I personally hope these rumours are a shot across her bows and it doesn't actually happen.

Watson & Starmer worry me a lot more than Emily.

20 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I quite like Thornberry , despite her White Van Man gaffe , but she was quite clearly making a play to put herself in pole position to take over from Jeremy Corbyn if electoral votes went against him , and generally  leaders do not take kindly to that sort of thing. I personally hope these rumours are a shot across her bows and it doesn't actually happen.

Watson & Starmer worry me a lot more than Emily.

Thornberry is an extremely intelligent and gifted woman. She’s just a shit politician. 

When/if Corbyn steps aside Starmer is the only candidate qualified to take over and win a GE. 

7 hours ago, skend04 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/08/thornberry-may-face-reshuffle-after-labour-split-on-new-brexit-vote

Back what your membership wants and you could end up with the sack.

Oh Jeremy Corbyn!

Where is the evidence that is what Labour members want? I’ve had a look and all I can see is some Labour MP’s offering opinion rather than factual evidence.

13 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Where is the evidence that is what Labour members want? I’ve had a look and all I can see is some Labour MP’s offering opinion rather than factual evidence.

We should deffo have a vote of Labour members to settle Brexit policy

9 hours ago, skend04 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/08/thornberry-may-face-reshuffle-after-labour-split-on-new-brexit-vote

Back what your membership wants and you could end up with the sack.

Oh Jeremy Corbyn!

Just an anti-Corbyn paper trying to stir up trouble. 

The members get the chance to say what Brexit policy they want at Conference;  Corbyn is absolutely backing what the members want.

I think Labour's problem is, rightly or wrongly, they've not adjusted policy, or the communication of, with expectation.  The debate has now moved so far away from a "sensible" Brexit that the Labour leadership protestations against a no deal Brexit don't seem quite enough.  I know they've repeated numerous times that they're against no deal, and a "damaging Tory Brexit" but the latter could be viewed as ambiguous.  Labour need to be clearer and more importantly louder about their Brexit position because if they can get people to read or listen past the headlines it's not unclear at all. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Thornberry is an extremely intelligent and gifted woman. She’s just a shit politician. 

When/if Corbyn steps aside Starmer is the only candidate qualified to take over and win a GE. 

Starmer was a chicken coup member & is as thick as thieves with Watson , so he would take us straight back to Blairite orthodoxy.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

I think Labour's problem is, rightly or wrongly, they've not adjusted policy, or the communication of, with expectation.  The debate has now moved so far away from a "sensible" Brexit that the Labour leadership protestations against a no deal Brexit don't seem quite enough.  I know they've repeated numerous times that they're against no deal, and a "damaging Tory Brexit" but the latter could be viewed as ambiguous.  Labour need to be clearer and more importantly louder about their Brexit position because if they can get people to read or listen past the headlines it's not unclear at all. 

It doesn't help that all the right-wing papers, plus the Guardian, deliberately misrepresent Labour’s position.