You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

On 03/06/2019 at 15:12, moof said:

Only the Labour Party can save the NHS

Yes.  If  that fails there is the option of a nurses strike which almost guarantees the government of the time crashes.

The winter of discontent and the nurses strike signaled the end of Jim Callaghan govt in 79. Once the nurses quite rightly told Jim to go fuck himself, Sunny Jim was sunny no more.

The nurses strike in 82 only lasted about a day till Thatcher caved and gave then the demanded pay rise. Thatcher was clever enough not to step on their toes again for the rest of her premiership. So not so iron.

Obviously we have had 30 odd years of attacks on trade unions and various negative tory legislation which makes any action more difficult but the nurses and  nhs workers still.hold  a good degree of  power to bring a government to it's knees.

10 hours ago, TK421 said:

Most if not all of Gnasher's grievances can be sorted out at national level, not EU level.  His heart is in the right place, but the target of his ire is not. 

I'm sorry, but I'm going to be a dick here, if you could not see that Brexit basically gave/has given the conservative party carte blanche to turn the country into an even more right wing low tax/low spend hell hole then you are either not living in the real world or you are thick as fuck.

I remember going to some meeting in central London where those on the left from trade unions to academia were having a debate about the merits of Brexit (post the vote) the glee of the lad flogging the morning star always stayed with me. That he was so happy we'd left this institution that protects the environment, backs science and technology, lays out basic workers rights and redistributes funds to economically deprived regions often against the wishes of national governments, when we had a conservative party in power who were able to set the direction the country would take and with the fixed term parliament act basically meaning we couldn't get rid of them, just fantasy land stuff.

Personally having been involved in both renewable energy industry, environmental consultancy and having worked for the NHS for the last half decade, the legislation originating from the E.U. is often the only thing preventing people and the environment being completely exploited.

People can talk about some left wing national take over as an opportunity brexit presents to reset where the country is headed, but the right have the press/media, industry, capital, external malefactors and a chunk of our democratic institutions sewn up. So all I would say is, good luck with that.

• Upvote 7

Whoa whoa.  For the sake of balance forgive me if I keep on y fronts on and decline from the EU love orgy going on above.

A few observations for the sake of balance. 40% of the EU budget is spent on farm subsidies. These farms are often areas of natural beauty which are landscaped to reiceve the money (So much for the environment)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/21/waste-cash-leavers-in-out-land-subsidie

1 in 5 of the recipient's are of farm subsidies rich millionaires or billionaires I very much doubt the others are on the breadline.

Youth unemployment in France is approx a massive .28% . Italy 35% and Spain a whopping 38% approx. It's been a decade of utter disaster for the young people of Europe.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/04/13/news/economy/europe-youth-unemployment-france/index.html

The last EU chief iJose manuel Barrosa mmediately after leaving the EU went to work for goldman Sachs. The EU was rebuked over this by the ombudsmen. Draw your own conclusions on that one.

The EU in the past decade has pushed the merits of privatisation ( I know I keep going on about this but it's a policy which Is the enemy of the working class)

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/05/corbyn-labour-eu-single-market-economic-policy

The EU have a dismal record of siding with the rich and powerful, Greece being the obvious example.

55 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Whoa whoa.  For the sake of balance forgive me if I keep on y fronts on and decline from the EU love orgy going on above.

A few observations for the sake of balance. 40% of the EU budget is spent on farm subsidies. These farms are often areas of natural beauty which are landscaped to reiceve the money (So much for the environment)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/21/waste-cash-leavers-in-out-land-subsidie

1 in 5 of the recipient's are of farm subsidies rich millionaires or billionaires I very much doubt the others are on the breadline.

Youth unemployment in France is approx a massive .28% . Italy 35% and Spain a whopping 38% approx. It's been a decade of utter disaster for the young people of Europe.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/04/13/news/economy/europe-youth-unemployment-france/index.html

The last EU chief iJose manuel Barrosa mmediately after leaving the EU went to work for goldman Sachs. The EU was rebuked over this by the ombudsmen. Draw your own conclusions on that one.

The EU in the past decade has pushed the merits of privatisation ( I know I keep going on about this but it's a policy which Is the enemy of the working class)

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/05/corbyn-labour-eu-single-market-economic-policy

The EU have a dismal record of siding with the rich and powerful, Greece being the obvious example.

Aided by supplicant Lexiteers, the right wing are on the cusp of selling off the few remaining assets the country has. Turning us officially into the 51st state. Yet, here you are, complaining about an organisation we're about to leave. Of our own volition.

You sound like my ex-wife during the divorce she initiated. She was a stupid fucking twat too.

• Upvote 4

Really can't be bothered responding to the above, I sit in meeting after meeting where people bitch nd moan about the working time directive and would have junior doctors imprisoned in wards given half a chance, in the same said meetings there are endless whining about the inability to now recruit from the southern European states and the huge gaps in our junior doctor rotas and nursing vacancy because of Brexit.

When I was consulting, I sat at north east farmers tables (who were about as far away from millionaires as you could get) and worked through with them the planting of significant amounts of deciduous woodland instead of useless set aside, getting hedgeroes installed and setting up wind turbines to provide local electricity and to the national grid  big chunks of the money to do that came from the E.U. locally directed by SEPA. All of this demonstrably improved the environment and has helped Scotland lead as a renewable energy providor.

I remember discussions at my firm about westminster being annoyed at the level of ERDF being given to the highlands/islands and that they felt it was being spent incorrectly. How a gang of Tory pricks in London know what's better for people than those on the ground, in Edinburgh and Brussles I'll never know.

26 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Aided by supplicant Lexiteers, the right wing are on the cusp of selling off the few remaining assets the country has. Turning us officially into the 51st state. Yet, here you are, complaining about an organisation we're about to leave. Of our own volition.

You sound like my ex-wife during the divorce she initiated. She was a stupid fucking twat too.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to divorce a lovely little chap.like you skendy. Woman eh?

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

No, it doesn't sound fair. Next? 

Oh, wait. Was that it? That's the reason you want to drive people into poverty and drive the economy into the ocean by leaving Europe? Oh. Yeah... no.

Here's the list of the top 100 recipients of land subsidies 2016. If you want to send any of the parasites a donation be me guest.

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2017/06/30/rich-list-billionaires-scoop-millions-farm-subsidy-payments/

Sorry list below.. 

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2017/06/30/rich-list-billionaires-scoop-millions-farm-subsidy-payments/

10 minutes ago, deiseach said:

If self-pity were a disease we'd have a terminal case here.

No self pity this end brother I do feel sorry for the 30 odd per cent of young people thrown on dole because of EU austerity measures though, and obviously the poor people of Greece etc.