You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

Broadly speaking, turnout is down in Leavey areas and up in Remainy areas. I am braced for some very interesting results, and one or two parties taking an absolute shoeing.

Anything less than the poll-indicated Brexit Party, Lib Dem one-two will be an absolute embarrassment for those bugging it up over the past week or two, wouldn’t it? 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Anything less than the poll-indicated Brexit Party, Lib Dem one-two will be an absolute embarrassment for those bugging it up over the past week or two, wouldn’t it? 

I just post the polls, I don't conduct them. The only people who would need to be embarrassed are those involved in producing them.

Just now, Strontium Dog said:

I just post the polls, I don't conduct them. The only people who would need to be embarrassed are those involved in producing them.

Disagree. I think, if you’ve spent the last week or two posting polls on the daily, bogging up any of those in it as some sort of success, and then they aren’t, you should feel a bit timid. Either because you’re too daft to know polls are, at best, flawed, or because you’re not daft and we’re opportunistic in using the cherry picked polls in order to big your party up full in the knowledge that they’re flawed. Just my view. I certainly did when calling that Trump wouldn’t win and Brexit wouldn’t happen. 

May resigns.

Brexit is the best thing to happen in these islands since the birth of the health service in the 40s 50s.

IWhat makes it even more sweet is  that the left wing luvvies are so confused  they are missing the moment.

• Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

May resigns.

Brexit is the best thing to happen in these islands since the birth of the health service in the 40s 50s.

IWhat makes it even more sweet is  that the left wing luvvies are so confused  they are missing the moment.

Yeh it’s really going to do wonders for the health service. Hope you can afford the insurance. 

On 23/05/2019 at 19:39, Gnasher said:

The eu been spewing out losers for years, all poor. 

The facts...

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/the-labour-market-effects-of-immigration/

If you read ithe report who will see the eu have not been that kind to our most vunerable please dont tell the luvvies on here though they get upset when thrown an alternative view.

Right, I've read the report

The worst impact it found was 0.8% decrease in average income for the bottom 10% for every 1% rise in migrants corresponding to the UK population

Moreover this impact was far more likely to affect earlier migrants rather than indigenous Brits 

Say they're earning £10 an hour then they'll be losing 8p per hour or 64p per day.

Gnash, I'm really interested to know how Brexit is going to make things better. 

A no deal Brexit will cause, conservatively, a 5% contraction which means the pound drops heavily so prices in the shops rise heavily as has already happened 

Unemployment rises and wages drop disproportionately affecting the poorest people and the poorest areas

It'd be great if you could show me who benefits from this? Some figures would be nice and not just pictures of trains

35 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Yeh it’s really going to do wonders for the health service. Hope you can afford the insurance. 

Yep is this the same health service thats been down on its knees the past decade?  

Dont ever fucking believe the eu is the moral guardian of our health service. We are. We formed it. We nurtrured it. We defended it.  

Its all ours,  all the work.of our elders. Up to us to save it.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, mattyq said:

Right, I've read the report

The worst impact it found was 0.8% decrease in average income for the bottom 10% for every 1% rise in migrants corresponding to the UK population

Moreover this impact was far more likely to affect earlier migrants rather than indigenous Brits 

Say they're earning £10 an hour then they'll be losing 8p per hour or 64p per day.

Gnash, I'm really interested to know how Brexit is going to make things better. 

A no deal Brexit will cause, conservatively, a 5% contraction which means the pound drops heavily so prices in the shops rise heavily as has already happened 

Unemployment rises and wages drop disproportionately affecting the poorest people and the poorest areas

It'd be great if you could show me who benefits from this? Some figures would be nice and not just pictures of trains

Thats a fair post without the usual al bile so i will try to answer.

Read your own first paragraph. The bottom 10% have lost because of the eu. Thats fact.  Thats a disgrace. Its reason enough to get rid.

Yes i agree brexit will cause short term hardship but weve had 30 years of shit Any way.  Look at the homeless figures and the people using foodbanks (not directly the eu fault i agree) but things are not good so things have to change, sorry its the only way..

33 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yep is this the same health service thats been down on its knees the past decade?  

Dont ever fucking believe the eu is the moral guardian of our health service. We are. We formed it. We nurtrured it. We defended it.  

Do you imagine that the EU has ever threatened the NHS?

You say "we" nurtured it - yet here you are celebrating the fact that the Tory Government is about to take a brutal lurch further right. Think you don't like the racism and neoliberalism we have now? You ain't seen nothing yet!

Now would be a good time for you to shut the fuck up. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Gnasher said:

No Illusions about the workings of Brussels, I’ve seen plenty of the workings first hand over the years. We are still better in than led down the path of deregulation , racism and chaos which the right wing of the Tories and Farage will bring .

You make out we all wear rose tinted specs where Europe is concerned. Just Bollocks

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Amazing how people fall for the bullshit of the charlatan Farage. Most leave supporters are dim, but watching this has me pretty worried about this country’s immediate future.

Snake oil salesman supreme 

Hardly surprisng that if you spend years giving somebody a disproportionate amount of media attention to their political status, that they end up gaining traction when campaigning on single issues using attractive sounding soundbites.

On 24/05/2019 at 23:09, AngryofTuebrook said:

Do you imagine that the EU has ever threatened the NHS?

You say "we" nurtured it - yet here you are celebrating the fact that the Tory Government is about to take a brutal lurch further right. Think you don't like the racism and neoliberalism we have now? You ain't seen nothing yet!

Now would be a good time for you to shut the fuck up. 

https://corporateeurope.org/en/power-lobbies/2017/06/creeping-privatisation-healthcare

Tory party has been extreme right wing for yesrs so dont make me laugh so no im not  going to "shut the fuck up"

You could off course try to disucss the above link

12 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Amazing how people fall for the bullshit of the charlatan Farage. Most leave supporters are dim, but watching this has me pretty worried about this country’s immediate future.

Amazing how people fall for the bullshit of any politician but they do, time after fucking time. 

14 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

No. 

I agree its subjective but im basing my opinion on the policy of austerity, universal credit and masissive rise  in homeless people plus mass use of foodbanks,  all mainly the result of an extreme right wing tory party which councided with the coronation of Dave and George 

Oh and your saviour the eu did diddly sqaut. Didnt raise a murmur.

21 hours ago, magicrat said:

No Illusions about the workings of Brussels, I’ve seen plenty of the workings first hand over the years. We are still better in than led down the path of deregulation , racism and chaos which the right wing of the Tories and Farage will bring .

You make out we all wear rose tinted specs where Europe is concerned. Just Bollocks

Paul Krugman noted once how advocates of small government in the US, in order for their viewpoint to be intellectually coherent, have to convince themselves that their opponents want the exact opposite. We want government as small as possible and you want government as big as possible you freedom-hating commie you go back to Russia! The same is true of Brexiteers who have worked themselves into such a frenzy about the tyrannical nature of the EU that anyone who disagrees with them must be in favour of the Fourth Reich that they imagine the EU to be. There are some of us out there who are well aware of the flaws of EU but think, on balance, that it is a useful bulwark against the increasingly corporatist world we live in. The only national governments that the likes of Google, Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Microsoft pay attention to are the United States and China. The individual states of Europe are too small to have such clout, so it's a source of solace to me that there is an entity out there that can carry the fight to these amoral behemoths. Now, you can reasonably disagree that this benefit (among others) of being in the EU is worth the costs (of which there are many) of being in the EU. But that would mean admitting there are costs to Brexit, and Brexiteers can never, ever admit to there being costs.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, deiseach said:

Paul Krugman noted once how advocates of small government in the US, in order for their viewpoint to be intellectually coherent, have to convince themselves that their opponents want the exact opposite. We want government as small as possible and you want government as big as possible you freedom-hating commie you go back to Russia! The same is true of Brexiteers who have worked themselves into such a frenzy about the tyrannical nature of the EU that anyone who disagrees with them must be in favour of the Fourth Reich that they imagine the EU to be. There are some of us out there who are well aware of the flaws of EU but think, on balance, that it is a useful bulwark against the increasingly corporatist world we live in. The only national governments that the likes of Google, Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Microsoft pay attention to are the United States and China. The individual states of Europe are too small to have such clout, so it's a source of solace to me that there is an entity out there that can carry the fight to these amoral behemoths. Now, you can reasonably disagree that this benefit (among others) of being in the EU is worth the costs (of which there are many) of being in the EU. But that would mean admitting there are costs to Brexit, and Brexiteers can never, ever admit to there being costs.

I admit to the costa of brexit especially short term.

As for the eu taking the fight to the likes  of amazon please tell me you wrote that dribble with your tounge in your cheek.

I agree its subjective but im basing my opinion on the policy of austerity, universal credit and masissive rise  in homeless people plus mass use of foodbanks,  all mainly the result of an extreme right wing tory party which councided with the coronation of Dave and George 

It isn’t subjective. Listing things like Universal Credit as proof of extreme right-wing politics is an indicator of how seriously your opinion should be taken. 

My saviour the EU? What? 

So you're saying that the EU didn't interfere in domestic politics?

Ah right...

• Upvote 1