You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

I suspect things will have changed significantly before any GE happens as a large number of Conservative mps aren’t going to take a chance with their ongoing employment if they don’t have to. They will get rid of May and Brexit will eventually have to be resolved one way or the other making Farage a non-factor again.

22 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Okay, now what? How am I a luvvie? 

See my answer over the page. You seem to sneer at the working class who have an alternative view on brexit, but youre not alone.

As an example, when i produced evidence mass immigration hurts the low paid most it was ignored or mocked.

I think you were the poster (at least you replied others hid) that its best not to over egg the report.

4 hours ago, Boss said:

The Brexit Party in 3 months have become the third biggest party in Uk politics and are currently 6% behind Labour and the Tories if a General election was called tomorrow.

Voting%20intention%208-9%20May%202019-01

The state of the CUKs though. 

Their vote share seems accurate if Mike Gapes' public meeting in Ilford is anything to go by. 

D6t2sc4WkBcz7Ad.jpeg

9 hours ago, skend04 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/16/labour-brexit-remain-voters-european-elections

There's something seriously wrong with your strategy when 12% of Labour voters from the 2017 GE will vote for the Brexit Party in the EU elections and 47% will switch to Remain parties. 

Is that YouGov and the Guardian saying that Jeremy Corbyn is wrong?

Well, blow me down!  I never thought I'd see the day!

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

See my answer over the page. You seem to sneer at the working class who have an alternative view on brexit, but youre not alone.

As an example, when i produced evidence mass immigration hurts the low paid most it was ignored or mocked.

I think you were the poster (at least you replied others hid) that its best not to over egg the report.

You posted that report several times.  I think I pointed out each time that the problem for working class people isn't mass immigration itself - "all them bloody foreigners coming over here and stealing our jobs" - it's the way successive UK Governments (all three major parties are guilty of this) have allowed employers to exploit workers from overseas: if they had guaranteed them equal rights with UK workers, the impacts (which, in any case, are nowhere near as severe as you and Farage like to claim they are) would never have been as severe as they are.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Is that YouGov and the Guardian saying that Jeremy Corbyn is wrong?

They seem to be pointing out that the tactics they're using are causing them to haemmorhage votes. Not sure how the simple fact of opinion polls can be dismissed as something partisan.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Watching Question Time. 

"Scotland voted to remain in the EU!"

California voted for Hilary Clinton, what's your point?

California isn’t a country though mate. Scotland you’d think should be able to choose post-Brexit whether to remain in the UK or to leave and join the EU, should they choose to do so.

6 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

California isn’t a country though mate. Scotland you’d think should be able to choose post-Brexit whether to remain in the UK or to leave and join the EU, should they choose to do so.

They're a component of a larger nation, they live or die with that whether they like it or not. What next? Britain goes to war with Russia but Scotland moans about the fact it shouldn't have to?

Scotland gets its international status from being part of a union that is first in the world for soft power and has one of the biggest militaries.

If they were independent would they want to join NATO? I suspect so, despite probably only being able to muster a couple of regiments trained by the British army. Would NATO have anything to gain by having them without the rest of the UK? Probably not. 

It's really petty, misinformation shit from the SNP as per.

'Scotland's view on staying in Europe is being ignored!!!'.

Well what about Wales view on how much the UK gives in aid to Botswana, or Northern Ireland's view on a trade deal with Saudi Arabia.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I don’t sneer at the working class. I sneer at anybody, many of whom are posh right wing cunts like Farage and Johnson, who holds views that are worthy of contempt. There are plenty of working class people, on here and around the rest of the country, who don’t share these views. 

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Is this for real? Are you for real! I suggest you actually read my post back, love. 

8 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

They seem to be pointing out that the tactics they're using are causing them to haemmorhage votes. Not sure how the simple fact of opinion polls can be dismissed as something partisan.

Yes you are sure how polls can be used (by their design and by their interpretation) to shape opinion, rather than reflect it.  I don't believe you're stupid; I believe you're disingenuous.

4 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Yes you are sure how polls can be used (by their design and by their interpretation) to shape opinion, rather than reflect it.  I don't believe you're stupid; I believe you're disingenuous.

It's not just one poll or one pollster showing this. And on top of pretty disastrous local election results just a few weeks ago. Or maybe the voters were just shaping opinion rather than reflecting it with their votes.

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

It's not just one poll or one pollster showing this. And on top of pretty disastrous local election results just a few weeks ago. Or maybe the voters were just shaping opinion rather than reflecting it with their votes.

If there are other polls showing how Labour voters intend to vote next week, please feel free to share.

The local elections weren't "disastrous" for Labour.  They were disappointing, at worst. There was certainly nothing in them to suggest that going full Remain  - and telling half the electorate "we know better than you" - would be a guaranteed winner. 

In case you hadn’t noticed, the hard brexit party is still 20 points ahead of the remain party. 

Its a bit ironic that remain people are flocking to the party that helped promote the conditions that caused brexit, but that’s the British electorate for you. 

So it looks like we're going to be spending several months of the granted extension on a Tory leadership contest. Presumably this wasn't quite what Tusk meant when he warned the UK not to waste time, but still Tory party first, country a distant second as ever 'twas.