You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Just now, Strontium Dog said:

I think it's too late for Labour to climb down off that fence now. They're in the same boat as the Tories in there being no reason to actually vote for them. I expect them to lose more votes to the Brexit Party and the Remain parties before election day.

This sums up everything that's wrong with the blinkered extremists of both the Leave and Remain sides: you seem to have forgotten that life goes on and things other than Brexit continue to dominate most people's lives.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

I think it's too late for Labour to climb down off that fence now. They're in the same boat as the Tories in there being no reason to actually vote for them. I expect them to lose more votes to the Brexit Party and the Remain parties before election day.

You'd love that wouldn't you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This sums up everything that's wrong with the blinkered extremists of both the Leave and Remain sides: you seem to have forgotten that life goes on and things other than Brexit continue to dominate most people's lives.

Brexit is an existential threat to our way of life. It's the biggest issue of the last 30 years.

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Brexit is an existential threat to our way of life. It's the biggest issue of the last 30 years.

I agree.  But it's not the only issue.

An end to austerity and a serious approach to tackling climate change are just two (not inconsiderable) reasons to vote Labour.

Climate change is best tackled internationally, which means tackling it as part of the EU. And Brexit is going to have a bigger impact on everyone's finances than austerity did.

I understand why Labour has been cynically trying to play both sides, but it's a tactic that is rapidly losing its efficacy. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Climate change is best tackled internationally, which means tackling it as part of the EU. And Brexit is going to have a bigger impact on everyone's finances than austerity did.

Not necessarily.

It means tackling it with the EU, but not necessarily as a Member State.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

Mmm, I think we'll have more influence on the EU as part of it, personally. 

Yeah, I think that’s a fair shout. AoT is technically correct (the best kind of correct), it can be done with them rather than as part, but surely being inside with a say is easier. 

41 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Latest Euro poll:

13431158-0-image-a-10_1557736346150.jpg

Bears out what other polls tell us about a second referendum. About a third of country are rabid head banging Leavers whilst overall there would be a majority for Remain.  Vote for Farage with no manifesto but he will tell you what he's going to do after the election. Even Trump didn't go that far.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

So, I was reading yesterday about how any deal would need a confirmatory vote, so it really does look like the only chance of avoiding this mess rests with Labour. Should they miss that opportunity, they're going to be punished, and rightly so.

Labour are inching towards supporting a confirmatory public vote on the deal. Starmer and Watson said as much this morning.  Lets see what happens by the end of the week after the talks with the Tories founder.  Wouldn't surprise me if Corbyn shifts his position before the elections next week.  He may not want to be the Remain party but de-facto they are , like it or not.  

The latest polls are an absolute disaster for remain. They’ve completely shit the bed with this, splitting the non-hard brexit vote between four while allowing Farage to build a huge lead. But at least the liberals are up 5% and labour are getting a kicking yay good times 

Just now, moof said:

The latest polls are an absolute disaster for remain. They’ve completely shit the bed with this, splitting the non-hard brexit vote between four while allowing Farage to build a huge lead. But at least the liberals are up 5% and labour are getting a kicking yay good times 

It would be a disaster if it was a referendum, but it's just the EU shit. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It would be a disaster if it was a referendum, but it's just the EU shit. 

Well, if it results in sending 35 far right meps to European Parliament and hands a mandate to hard brexit then yeah, it’s a disaster 

Voted Green for the election and hope they have a chance of getting another mep. I like doing it for this more than the UK election because at least in the EU greens have over 50 members of parliament and more influence.

Maybe as it becomes more clear what a state our planet is in with the environment and species dying out so rapidly, these fucking clown parties led by people like Farage will lose influence. I've not got a big issue with people being pissed off that they voted to leave and didn't get their vote respected (even if I don't agree with many of their views), but Farage can fuck off the big fraudster.

BBC and others will probably love it though seeing as it causes more division across the country and weakens Labour. At least the Tories are looking increasingly damaged by all of this too and all this recent chaos should affect them long term now.

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Latest Euro poll:

13431158-0-image-a-10_1557736346150.jpg

Gnasher will have wanked himself silly today. Labour are performing at Michael Foot levels of greatness/shiteness* here.

Tories are fucked but you can't celebrate as Labour have shit the bed spectacularly too. Amazing times.

(*delete as applicable).

Honda said they would close down Swindon if UK left the EU. Swindon voted Leave. Honda are packing their bags shocker.  

Car giant Honda has confirmed plans to close its UK factory in another major blow to the British car industry, with thousands set to lose their jobs.

The Japanese company told workers at the Swindon factory that following a “meaningful and robust” consultation, no viable alternatives to the closure have been found.

18 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Honda said they would close down Swindon if UK left the EU. Swindon voted Leave. Honda are packing their bags shocker.  

Car giant Honda has confirmed plans to close its UK factory in another major blow to the British car industry, with thousands set to lose their jobs.

The Japanese company told workers at the Swindon factory that following a “meaningful and robust” consultation, no viable alternatives to the closure have been found.

38% of the voters are fully behind this.