You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

You've never had any of that shit from me, so don't pretend I'm raising an army against you.

As for Bob Crow, I've explained a million times where I disagree with him: he saw the long-term neoliberal drift of the EU and concluded it couldn't be redeemed and therefore we'd be better off out of it. I thought he was wrong then and I still do now.

On 02/05/2019 at 19:10, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, you’d hire Ebola. 

We have ebola. Its the result of a decade of austerity and three decades of european wide privatization. Its far and wide  the evidence is outside our door, London is a a shithole full of food banks, parizians are rioting over inequality, athens has been left to rot.

Ek policy of increased privatization a along with austerity plus mass youth unemployment has left all of europe on the sick bed.

Sorry but you and angry seem hellbent on smashing a round object into a square hole, the policy has been tried and tested, it does not work.

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

We have ebola. Its the result of a decade of austerity and three decades of european wide privatization. Its far and wide  the evidence is outside our door, London is a a shithole full of food banks, parizians are rioting over inequality, athens has been left to rot.

Ek policy of increased privatization a along with austerity plus mass youth unemployment has left all of europe on the sick bed.

Sorry but you and angry seem hellbent on smashing a round object into a square hole, the policy has been tried and tested, it does not work.

Yeah, I should stop supporting the thing I've spent my life objecting to. You got me.

Another £160m of our money going to private sector consultants, to try to find out what "Brexit means Brexit" actually means.

Did any of the Tory charlatans (and their Lexit stooges) who led this debacle actually put forward any plans, proposals or costings, before the referendum?  Or did they just write a lie on a bus, wave a flag and trust in the unquestioning gullibility of just over half the electorate?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48181004?fbclid=IwAR0oLqdJ_NOQp5jJAgMS0T_pngueJUZNuLge2GJAAHiczQgrkRqsTS2T8KY

14 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Another £160m of our money going to private sector consultants, to try to find out what "Brexit means Brexit" actually means.

Did any of the Tory charlatans (and their Lexit stooges) who led this debacle actually put forward any plans, proposals or costings, before the referendum?  Or did they just write a lie on a bus, wave a flag and trust in the unquestioning gullibility of just over half the electorate?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48181004?fbclid=IwAR0oLqdJ_NOQp5jJAgMS0T_pngueJUZNuLge2GJAAHiczQgrkRqsTS2T8KY

You know the answer to that one! 

• Upvote 1

It's good to know Brexit isn't a dead loss.  Some people, at least, have been doing very nicely over the last two and a half years.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-05-10/richest-brits-gain-28-billion-since-brexit-even-as-economy-ails?fbclid=IwAR38c9yitDpA5-wBB2u5TBsCQL5toMiX0a8TTrf8LEUlIfbFmyPyliK6ct4

The 15 Britons on the Bloomberg Billionaires Index have added $28 billion to their fortunes since the country voted to leave the European Union on June 23, 2016, including $18 billion so far this year. Their combined net worth now totals $109 billion.

Two Brexiteers are responsible for most of the gains. Jim Ratcliffe and James Dyson have added a combined $20 billion since the vote, according to the ranking, with Ratcliffe displacing Hugh Grosvenor, the Duke of Westminster, as Britain’s richest person. That compares to the estimated 39 billion pounds ($51 billion) the U.K. would need to settle its liabilities with the European Union.

The growth in their fortunes contrasts with the U.K.’s wider economic stagnation since the vote. In February, Bank of England Governor Mark Carney said the economy was suffering amid the “fog of Brexit,” as the bank downgraded its view on growth for this year and next. While the labor market remains strong, businesses are cutting spending, fearing an economic slowdown could turn into a severe recession if the U.K. ends up leaving the EU without a deal to cushion the blow.

Britain’s richest have been able to navigate such uncertainties. It helps that they are an increasingly footloose breed. More than half the British entrepreneurs on the Bloomberg ranking are no longer U.K. residents.

In February, the Sunday Times reported that Ratcliffe, 66, was examining ways to structure his fortune to save as much as 4 billion pounds in taxes, including possibly moving to Monaco.

He’s certainly deploying his fortune in high-profile ways. His chemicals company Ineos is spending millions sponsoring a professional cycling team, and last week the billionaire said he hasn’t abandoned his pursuit of the Chelsea soccer club.

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's good to know Brexit isn't a dead loss.  Some people, at least, have been doing very nicely over the last two and a half years.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-05-10/richest-brits-gain-28-billion-since-brexit-even-as-economy-ails?fbclid=IwAR38c9yitDpA5-wBB2u5TBsCQL5toMiX0a8TTrf8LEUlIfbFmyPyliK6ct4

The 15 Britons on the Bloomberg Billionaires Index have added $28 billion to their fortunes since the country voted to leave the European Union on June 23, 2016, including $18 billion so far this year. Their combined net worth now totals $109 billion.

Two Brexiteers are responsible for most of the gains. Jim Ratcliffe and James Dyson have added a combined $20 billion since the vote, according to the ranking, with Ratcliffe displacing Hugh Grosvenor, the Duke of Westminster, as Britain’s richest person. That compares to the estimated 39 billion pounds ($51 billion) the U.K. would need to settle its liabilities with the European Union.

The growth in their fortunes contrasts with the U.K.’s wider economic stagnation since the vote. In February, Bank of England Governor Mark Carney said the economy was suffering amid the “fog of Brexit,” as the bank downgraded its view on growth for this year and next. While the labor market remains strong, businesses are cutting spending, fearing an economic slowdown could turn into a severe recession if the U.K. ends up leaving the EU without a deal to cushion the blow.

Britain’s richest have been able to navigate such uncertainties. It helps that they are an increasingly footloose breed. More than half the British entrepreneurs on the Bloomberg ranking are no longer U.K. residents.

In February, the Sunday Times reported that Ratcliffe, 66, was examining ways to structure his fortune to save as much as 4 billion pounds in taxes, including possibly moving to Monaco.

He’s certainly deploying his fortune in high-profile ways. His chemicals company Ineos is spending millions sponsoring a professional cycling team, and last week the billionaire said he hasn’t abandoned his pursuit of the Chelsea soccer club.

Exactly what Gnasher was hoping for when he didn't vote in the referendum.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Cracking poll for the UK's number one Remain party, though

In what way? I clearly see that differently to you. I see it as a vote that doesn’t much indicate anything. Brexit party got the biggest bump, and it has no baring in anything to do with actually stopping Brexit. 

Still, take your gains where you can get them, I guess. 

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Cracking poll for the UK's number one Remain party, though

This (like the BNP's success about 10 years ago)  is probably a product of the contempt with which the main parties have always treated the European Parliamentary elections. That contempt has infected the public to the extent that a third of them would vote for an undemocratic rabble with no policies. 

As for Skend's point about Labour's supposed ambiguity  - are you suggesting we should go full Brexit and compete with Nige for that share of the vote? Or are you suggesting we go full Remain and chase the votes of the three Remain parties who collectively are polling about the same as Labour?

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This (like the BNP's success about 10 years ago)  is probably a product of the contempt with which the main parties have always treated the European Parliamentary elections. That contempt has infected the public to the extent that a third of them would vote for an undemocratic rabble with no policies. 

As for Skend's point about Labour's supposed ambiguity  - are you suggesting we should go full Brexit and compete with Nige for that share of the vote? Or are you suggesting we go full Remain and chase the votes of the three Remain parties who collectively are polling about the same as Labour?

I don’t think Skend fully thought it through if I’m honest.

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I think it's too late for Labour to climb down off that fence now. They're in the same boat as the Tories in there being no reason to actually vote for them. I expect them to lose more votes to the Brexit Party and the Remain parties before election day.

• Downvote 1