You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

It was a bit more than a  "logical flaw" in Osbourns threat angry, 

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/would-osbornes-promised-emergency-budget-actually-materialise-after-brexit-i-very-much-doubt-it-a7083946.html

It was a lie. A lie that got proved ro be a lie.

I never said that Osborne's threat was a logical flaw; I said that your arguments  - specifically, your choice of things that are categorically different from lies as examples of lies - were logically flawed.

The point here is that both you and Boss are struggling to come up with clear examples of lies from the Remain campaign - and that's before we try to estimate how influential any lies were in persuading almost half the turnout to vote Remain.

The Leave campaign was dripping with lies, everywhere you looked. And those lies influenced how people voted.

The levels of dishonesty were not remotely comparable.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Boss said:

Isn't that just a nice way of saying bullshit .... forecasts that didn't materialise?

The Brexit has cost us an estimated £60bn, roughly speaking that's about £1000 per person. For a family of four that's £4000. That was a pretty good forecast I'd say.

6 hours ago, skend04 said:

The Brexit has cost us an estimated £60bn, roughly speaking that's about £1000 per person. For a family of four that's £4000. That was a pretty good forecast I'd say.

And who's taking that money off us? The EU through a Divorce Bill. It hasn't been lost because companies have left the UK in their droves like the doomsday predictions many peddled leading up to the referendum. 

13 hours ago, Boss said:

Lies from Remain 

1. Tusk - Western Civilisation would be destroyed if the UK vote to leave

2. Cameron - Gave a speech about "rows of headstones" invoking WW3 if we left

3. Osbourne - Punitive spending cuts and tax hikes that never happened

4. Soubry - Brexit would cause an immediate recession

5. Cameron - We can change the Eu from within

6. Remain Campaign - 3 million people would lose their job if we left the EU

7. Companies would leave the UK in their droves

8. Cameron - He would NOT resign if Britain votes to leave

9. Clegg - EU army claims are a "dangerous fantasy" in relation to Farage. 3 months later EU army proposed by Juncker

10. Cameron - UK can manage it's immigration policy within the EU

11. Various Universities - UK will lose Horizon 2020 funding

12. Cameron - Jobless EU migrants can be kicked out

13. Remain Campaign - Each family will be £4,300 worse off

14. Cameron - There will be migrant camps in Kent

15. Cameron - Brexit would lead to a mass invasion of asylum seekers

16. Remain campaign leaflet - Being in the EU ensures we are controlling immigration and have strong borders (sent to every household in the country)

That's just off the top of my head.

I stopped after about four. Is this a joke? If it is... it's actually quite a funny one. If not, I'll not waste my time with the rest.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Boss said:

And who's taking that money off us? The EU through a Divorce Bill. 

See that? That's a good example of Frankfurt's definition of bullshit: just saying stuff with no concern of whether or not it's true and no concern of whether or not anyone belives it.

Here's the real reason for those lost billions.

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN1RG0QW

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Boss said:

And who's taking that money off us? The EU through a Divorce Bill. It hasn't been lost because companies have left the UK in their droves like the doomsday predictions many peddled leading up to the referendum. 

In fairness, we haven't left yet.

The amount of emails that I've had from public bodies asking us to complete their business continuity plan templates, the amount of meetings, the amount of webinars and the amount of absolute bullshit that has gone on in the last few months, preparing for a Hard Brexit that was never going to happen, makes the inefficiency of the EU pale into insignificance!

I'm eurosceptic, but I underestimated what a complete clusterfuck our government could make of the whole thing!

The government's botched the whole thing, but that's what you get when you have a choice between two hapless, clueless parties that despise each other, and take no blame for their own role in the incompetence. The financial hit is due to the economic uncertainty. It's a speculative market. Sterling will not rise until May addresses the uncertainty head on. Nobody wants to make a decision though. The Cooper Amendment took the power out of the MP's hands. They literally voted to give the EU absolute say over whether we can leave or not. Everything going on at the moment is pure madness on all sides.

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

How do you conclude that?

The Cooper Letwin Bill that made it impossible for the UK to leave with a no deal on the agreed upon deadline. The deal that was passed through the house in 4 hours, from inception to delivery, winning by 1 vote. Legally made it mandatory to seek an extension. 

40 minutes ago, Boss said:

The government's botched the whole thing, but that's what you get when you have a choice between two hapless, clueless parties that despise each other, and take no blame for their own role in the incompetence. The financial hit is due to the economic uncertainty. It's a speculative market. Sterling will not rise until May addresses the uncertainty head on. Nobody wants to make a decision though. The Cooper Amendment took the power out of the MP's hands. They literally voted to give the EU absolute say over whether we can leave or not. Everything going on at the moment is pure madness on all sides.

There was only one party in government. She knew she didn't have a majority to force through 'her Brexit', but she pushed on ahead regardless. It's obvious that she needed consensus to progress things, but she was too busy looking after the interests that she holds dear - and they are not the interests of the electorate.

12 minutes ago, Boss said:

The Cooper Letwin Bill that made it impossible for the UK to leave with a no deal on the agreed upon deadline. The deal that was passed through the house in 4 hours, from inception to delivery, winning by 1 vote. Legally made it mandatory to seek an extension. 

I think we already discussed this and concluded that the Bill made it mandatory to ask the MPs whether to ask for an extension or not.

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I think we already discussed this and concluded that the Bill made it mandatory to ask the MPs whether to ask for an extension or not.

The bill made it mandatory for the government to seek an extension that could be no earlier than May 22nd, and ideally was scheduled for December 2019. 

10 hours ago, skend04 said:

Right on time its the angry army. Here on this page. They follow him round repping his every post and the stockholm crew will bring hell and fury to  those who disagree with him. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I had to rep the sheer comic lunacy of this.

But its true. You are directly employed by the eu and you have a covent of posters who follow your every word. When was the last time anyone on this page dared to give a difference to  your opinions? Dont worry angry its not your fault.